kia sorento, 2016 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post
Out of curiousity is the 350 lbs tongue weight for the FWD V6?

Because the towing capacity is listed as 3500/5000 lbs for the same model with the two options either FWD or AWD. And using the 10 percent rule tongue weight then makes sense using the tow capacity.
So, are we speculating that the Kia manual has a misprint? It explictly states 350 pounds for both the 2.0L (4 cylinder) engine and the 3.3L (6 cylinder) engine.

The total trailer weight is higher (5000 lb) for the 3.3L (6 cylinder) engine, and lower (3500 lb) for the 2.0L (4 cylinder) engine. The tow ratings table doesn't mention anything about 2WD versus 4WD, and both 4-cylinder engines (2.0 and 2.4) are available with and without AWD. AWD does not change the towing ratings.

The version with the bigger engine can tow more because the engine can handle doing the work. That doesn't even remotely suggest that the structure or suspension can handle more load on the rear. If the vehicle can handle only 350 pounds on the hitch, many manufacturers would limit the trailer weight to 3500 pounds (regardless of engine) so that the tongue weight can be kept at 10%... but not everyone does that. Kia is saying you can tow up to 5000 pounds, but you still need to keep the tongue weight down to 350 pounds, even though that means that at the extreme you'll have no more than 7% tongue weight.

Also, note that I downloaded the manual from Kia Canada - if the U.S. manual is different (which is unlikely), that would change the situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What's irksome about SUVs these days is that to get the tow package / tow rating you need, you have to buy the seven-passenger model. More expense and more weight for no good reason, unless you are starring in a reality TV show.
... or if you have extended family, or your kids have friends.

It does make sense that the same features (large engine, higher rear suspension capacity) which suit the 7-seater also suit towing. Towing is not a common requirement for mid-sized or smaller SUVs, so I'm not surprised that the equipment combinations we might want are not available.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Thanks, definitely worth consideration. BUT...

7% is light in the tongue weight typical in real loading according to some towing forum recommendations.

I still feel that my Tacoma DCLB with a towing package is still my best bet. The KIA forums do say it is light in th back end when the tongue weight is applied.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
7% is light in the tongue weight typical in real loading according to some towing forum recommendations.
7% is low by North American towing practices. Kia designs the SUV, not the trailer, so it is your responsibility to ensure that the trailer is suitable. No Escape model has tongue weight as low as 7% of the total weight as built, and I don't think that Escape recommends going that low, so it would not be a good idea unless you really know what you're doing.

On the other hand, an Escape 19' only weighs 4000 pounds at most when fully loaded (assuming that you don't overload the trailer), so 350 pounds is almost 9%, and not a big issue. A fully loaded Escape 21' would be a problem.

Quote:
I still feel that my Tacoma DCLB with a towing package is still my best bet.
If nothing else, the Tacoma has much longer wheelbase, which is great for stability and ability to handle tongue weight.

Quote:
The KIA forums do say it is light in th back end when the tongue weight is applied.
I assume that you mean light in the front end; this is the result of not-so-long wheelbase.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
We made the plunge

In the end, we bought the 2016 Kia Sorento V6 w 5500 towing capacity, trading in our beloved Subaru Forester. This is the first year they have had this V6 model with AWD and the towing capacity on the market. Our Escape completion date is March 2 2016; however we are down south until April, so will pick up after we get back.

It came down to the Sorento, or the Hyundai Santa Fe. They are very similar, but the Sorento is cheaper, and 6" shorter (we have a small garage) so there you are.

So far, we are very impressed w the Kia. It has a lot more guts than the Forester, with almost the same mileage. It is taking us a while to get used to the extra width, but the back up camera is a fabulous aid. We did not feel we needed 7 passenger capability, but with this configuration, had no choice. However, they fold down flat, and with a cargo mat ($200.00) over top, it's all good.

We had a hitch installed at the dealership, which they paid for, as part of the negotiations.
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Congradulations.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My daughter has a Kia rated to tow 3500 lbs and uses it to haul a small pop up trailer.
She is having the transmission rebuilt for the second time. The transmission shop told her that the transmission is the weak link in Kia's and if she continues to tow the problem will reoccur.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Any chance that she is towing in overdrive?
If so, that would contribute to the problems.
My RAV4 manual says to tow in 4, not overdrive.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Tongue weight of my 17B, loaded for camping is 320 - 340 lbs, measured with a Sherline tongue scale.
My WDH is labeled with its limits, which have nothing to do with the tow vehicle limits ( which are much, much less ). The hitch receiver is rated at 4,000 lb. tow and 400 lb. tongue, which is also irrelevant, since the vehicle is rated 3,500 / 350 lb.
Looking at the price range shown for that KIA, and noting that the Canadian price will be significantly higher, and keeping in mind that the tow package will only be available on the highest trim levels; I would look at the Toyota Highlander. It won't be cheaper, but will certainly have a higher resale. Kia has a ways to go before they shed their reputation as a cheap Hyundai.
Quote:
Any chance that she is towing in overdrive?
If so, that would contribute to the problems.
My RAV4 manual says to tow in 4, not overdrive.
I don't know but knowing my daughter it's entirely possible . She bought the vehicle used and the transmission had been rebuilt once under warranty . The vehicle is now out of warranty and needs another transmission rebuild . She lives in Minnesota and with the short summers , the vehicle is used for towing maybe 5 or 6 times per year and for only short camping trips. Having to have your transmission rebuilt every 50,000 miles seems excessive in my book !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Agreed. But, it could be a contributing factor.
BTW, it was my daughter, at age 17, who reminded me I wasn't supposed to tow in OD with my '94 Explorer. I was towing a tent trailer and encountered a menacing noise from the drive train. Mechanic told me I came very close to blowing up the converter ( about $4,000 ).
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Drive train, and especially the transmission, is a huge factor when towing with a vehicle other than a truck or SUV built to tow. We had a Dodge Grand Caravan that was rated to tow 3500 lbs, and all we towed was a tent trailer. When the transmission shop was rebuilding our transmission for the second time they took me into the shop and showed me the problem. The disks in the automatic transmission were very small in comparison to those in a truck or large SUV. They showed me the disks from a GM Safari to point out that some vans DID have better transmissions, in fact they were pretty well the same size as the disks from a truck. I think you would be taking quite a chance if you tow your trailer based only on the manufacturer's specs. Dodge's specs were fine, but the drive train wasn't built for towing. So, even if the vehicle is capable of towing the trailer, how will it impact the drive train long term? And having adequate tongue weight (10% of trailer) is important for stability, but at the same time may put you over your payload limit. Sorry for the negative spin, but better to be forewarned. The salesmen I have dealt with have never given me a good picture of what their vehicles can safely tow and carry.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Drive train, and especially the transmission, is a huge factor when towing with a vehicle other than a truck or SUV built to tow. We had a Dodge Grand Caravan that was rated to tow 3500 lbs, and all we towed was a tent trailer. When the transmission shop was rebuilding our transmission for the second time they took me into the shop and showed me the problem. The disks in the automatic transmission were very small in comparison to those in a truck or large SUV. They showed me the disks from a GM Safari to point out that some vans DID have better transmissions, in fact they were pretty well the same size as the disks from a truck. I think you would be taking quite a chance if you tow your trailer based only on the manufacturer's specs. Dodge's specs were fine, but the drive train wasn't built for towing. So, even if the vehicle is capable of towing the trailer, how will it impact the drive train long term? And having adequate tongue weight (10% of trailer) is important for stability, but at the same time may put you over your payload limit. Sorry for the negative spin, but better to be forewarned. The salesmen I have dealt with have never given me a good picture of what their vehicles can safely tow and carry.

Bob K
Safari and Astro vans had the same trans as the V8's. Not much power but the V-6 was a chopped off small block and did a nice job. Also had a full frame.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Safari and Astro vans...
Also had a full frame.
No, the Astro/Safari has a stub frame just in the front, like some other old GM designs such as an early Camaro or Nova. I think that frame ends somewhere around the rear transmission mount; the rear suspension and towing hitch mount to the unitized body/frame structure. It also had the front suspension of a full-size car (not a truck or SUV). Nothing to do with transmission reliability or the Kia Sorrento, but another example of how there are multiple workable design solutions to the same service requirement.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The salesmen I have dealt with have never given me a good picture of what their vehicles can safely tow and carry.
Same here - sales staff are good sources of pricing and availability information, but otherwise generally useless.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, the Astro/Safari has a stub frame just in the front, like some other old GM designs such as an early Camaro or Nova. I think that frame ends somewhere around the rear transmission mount; the rear suspension and towing hitch mount to the unitized body/frame structure. It also had the front suspension of a full-size car (not a truck or SUV). Nothing to do with transmission reliability or the Kia Sorrento, but another example of how there are multiple workable design solutions to the same service requirement.
Your correct. Been 20 years since I had one. I remember now having to replace two weld studs on the hitch receiver that snapped off from stress of equalizing hitch. Had to through bolt them.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote