kia sorento, 2016 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
kia sorento, 2016

The 2016 Kia Sorento has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. We need a towing vehicle for our Escape 19' (delivery March 2016.) It has to double for our day to day go-to vehicle, so don't want it all decked out with things like off-road capabilities etc., Will 5000 do the trick? it's a great size for us, but untested. Kia has a middle of the road reputation, but maybe not a bad thing. The model has a v6, turbo charged, back up cameras etc. What do you think?
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Second consideration would be allowable tongue weight, you're going to need 350 + lbs. or so. And next, your overall gross vehicle weight rating for passengers and cargo. Then hitch availability and electrical setup for brake controller. I don't know much about Kias, I'm sure someone who has tried it or researched will contribute.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dave hit on most of the key questions. The towing capacity is only part of the picture. There's max allowable tongue weight, GVWR, GCWR, etc. As long as all these numbers work, I see no reason why you can't tow a 19 with a Sorento.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Dave hit on most of the key questions. The towing capacity is only part of the picture. There's max allowable tongue weight, GVWR, GCWR, etc. As long as all these numbers work, I see no reason why you can't tow a 19 with a Sorento.
I agree - and so does Kia. From the beginning of what looks like - in a quick skim - a good towing section in the owner's manual (which starts on page 5-98):
Quote:
WARNING - Weight limits
Before towing, make sure the total trailer weight, GCW (gross combination weight), GVW (gross vehicle weight), GAW (gross axle weight) and trailer tongue load are all within the limits.
The GVWR and GAWR are given on the usual placard on the vehicle, but that doesn't include the GCWR... and the GCWR doesn't appear to be in the manual, either. I don't think that's actually a problem in this case, because even with an Escape 19 loaded to its 4000 pound maximum there would still be at least 1000 pounds left for passengers and cargo in the Kia (because the 4000 lb GCWR is 1000 pounds under the maximum trailer rating).

On page 5-104, the trailer weight ratings are listed. The combination of big engine and towing package is the only one with 5000 pound capacity, but that's the one we're talking about. Unfortunately, the tongue weight limit is only 350 pounds - not likely to be adequate for an Escape larger than a 17 Foot, and marginal even for a 17 in some cases of equipment and loading. Our current van has the same tongue weight limit (unless a WD system is used), and I have considered a 19 Foot, but I'm not sure I can manage the loading to keep the tongue weight that low.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It does look like the 350 lb tongue could be an issue. From the Fiberglass forums "Real Weights" table, the 19 is anywhere from 220 to 460 lbs. You'd probably need to forgo the front storage box, and be pretty careful loading, IF, you want to try and keep it in spec. A weight distribution hitch is fairly heavy too. If you don't know, Dry Hitch Weight usually does not include propane or battery weight, not sure about Escapes though. Maybe Rbryan knows as he has one.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One thing to consider for any tow vehicle is 4 wheel drive. Not all campsites are on stone or asphalt. If you ever camp on grass and try to pull a trailer in 2 wheel drive when the grass is wet, you will not get too far. 4WD gives you more versatility, particularly in winter or wet weather.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

The KIA Sorrento with the tow package also has All wheel drive. We will have to look into the tongue weight issue. This is still something we don't fully understand. How would it be possible to find the tongue weight if it isn't in the owners manual?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Look on the receiver, it may have a label or be imprinted with the amount.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Kia tongue weight limits

You could call a couple of dealers and ask them. Then find out where, what they say is certified by Kia. I would not volunteer the limit you need. Can you tell I have some trust issues with car dealers?
Might be on an Internet Kia forum too.
We tow with the V6 highlander. Horsepower will not be your issue. You want a solid combination that works together, not fighting a weak link.
Dave
Old 09-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
2016 KIA SORENTO tongue weight

You may find this link information useful.

2016 Kia Sorento Reviews - Kia Sorento Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

lists tongue dead weight as 500 lbs. and with weight dist. hich as 750 lbs.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post

That makes sense, since the formula most manufacturers use for tongue weight is usually 10% of towing capacity. And Bob, you're right - the published dry tongue weight on the 19 is without the storage box and any batteries inside it, and without the propane.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Kia

Sounds like you are good to go. Good luck
Dave
Old 09-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Smile

Thank you so much to all, and for pointing out the Car and Driver reviews and spec information... now to persuade my husband to go for a new rather than a used tow vehicle, and my job is done
Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamster View Post
We will have to look into the tongue weight issue. This is still something we don't fully understand. How would it be possible to find the tongue weight if it isn't in the owners manual?
The tongue weight limit for the Sorento is in the owner's manual, on page 5-104. It is listed as 159 kg (350 lb) - not 500 pounds or 750 pounds.

The actual tongue weight of your trailer will depend on your options and where you load your cargo, but for an Escape it starts at 256 pounds (as given in the spec page) before adding options, propane, water, and your stuff (and maybe before batteries).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Look on the receiver, it may have a label or be imprinted with the amount.
Any limit shown on a hitch is the limit for the hitch itself, which may be much higher than the limit for the vehicle. That's likely the source of the 500 pound and 750 pounds numbers quoted by Car and Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
You could call a couple of dealers and ask them. Then find out where, what they say is certified by Kia...
I wouldn't waste my time asking a dealer (for any brand of vehicle) any question other than "what can I buy?" or "how much does it cost?". Any information on other subjects is not trustworthy, and likely intended only to convince you to buy the vehicle. They can help you find information, but in this case it's right in the owner's manual; for clarification or additional information I would contact the manufacturer rather than a dealer.

Quote:

Why would anyone believe a magazine article instead of information directly from the vehicle's manufacturer?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
From the Fiberglass forums "Real Weights" table, the 19 is anywhere from 220 to 460 lbs.
I would be cautious about tongue weights from that source. So that he can determine the actual weight of the trailer, Frederick measured the trailer axle weight with the trailer attached to the tug, but with any weight-distributing hitch disconnected; then he measured the tongue weight after unhitching at the tongue height measured before unhitching, again with WD disconnected. The total trailer weight is accurate (which was Frederick's goal), but the because the back of the tug sags down when the WD is disconnected the measured tongue weight is likely substantially lower than it is at actual towing height.

Of course, this is only an issue for rigs using WD, but most Escape 19'' owners use WD, and the list doesn't contain any information about the hitch hardware (or tug).

I doubt any Escape 19' has a tongue weight as low as 220 pounds while it is being towed, and if it did that would likely be with a full water tank (which is rear of the axle so it lifts the tongue) and not a normal load of cargo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A weight distribution hitch is fairly heavy too.
The vehicle manufacturer often allows a higher tongue weight is a weight-distributing hitch is used and my Toyota Sienna is an example of this; however, Kia does not even mention WD in the owner's manual for the Sorento, let alone change the limit. Adding a WD is often a fix for tongue weight limits (as long as you account for the weight of the WD system itself, as Bob mentioned), but apparently not in this case.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Tongue weight of my 17B, loaded for camping is 320 - 340 lbs, measured with a Sherline tongue scale.
My WDH is labeled with its limits, which have nothing to do with the tow vehicle limits ( which are much, much less ). The hitch receiver is rated at 4,000 lb. tow and 400 lb. tongue, which is also irrelevant, since the vehicle is rated 3,500 / 350 lb.
Looking at the price range shown for that KIA, and noting that the Canadian price will be significantly higher, and keeping in mind that the tow package will only be available on the highest trim levels; I would look at the Toyota Highlander. It won't be cheaper, but will certainly have a higher resale. Kia has a ways to go before they shed their reputation as a cheap Hyundai.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:

This looks like a set of limits for a hitch, but they don't match the limits for this vehicle. Both brands of aftermarket hitch listed for the 2016 Sorento by eTrailer have a 500 pound tongue weight limit in weight-carrying mode (that is, without a weight-distribution system).

The 750 pound value with WD is interesting, because the Kia Sorento manual doesn't even mention WD, let alone allow a higher tongue weight with WD, and both brands of aftermarket hitch (as mentioned above) do not allow the use of WD.

When a hitch is rated for WD use, the tongue weight limit is usually 15% of the trailer weight, as shown here.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Team

kia sorento, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The tongue weight limit for the Sorento is in the owner's manual, on page 5-104. It is listed as 159 kg (350 lb) - not 500 pounds or 750 pounds.

Well that certainly changes things. As Brian points out, don't trust an internet link or a magazine article when it comes to finding the actual capacities. If KIA publishes 350 lbs, thats the number.

It may still work, because you can configure a 19 to have a tongue weight under 350 lbs. With the tongue box, dual propane tanks and dual 6V batteries, our tongue weight is 344 lbs according to the Shurline scale. Besides putting less weight on the tongue, you can also redistribute the internal cargo toward the rear which will help lower tongue weight. Be cautious however, because if tongue weight is reduced too much, it can cause sway or other handling problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Out of curiousity is the 350 lbs tongue weight for the FWD V6?

Because the towing capacity is listed as 3500/5000 lbs for the same model with the two options either FWD or AWD. And using the 10 percent rule tongue weight then makes sense using the tow capacity.

I am curious as I too have looked at the Sorento AWD as an option to my Tacoma for towing our 19. We will have to replace our current SUV at some point that only has a 2000 lbs towing capacity and I felt the Sorento would be a decent replacement.

I also agree a talk with the manufacturer is the best source of information as well as some salesmen use only information from marketing pamphletsor cross information between models. Best to have a specific VIN for a vehicle and inquire.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What's irksome about SUVs these days is that to get the tow package / tow rating you need, you have to buy the seven-passenger model. More expense and more weight for no good reason, unless you are starring in a reality TV show.