kia sorento, 2016 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
kia sorento, 2016

The 2016 Kia Sorento has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. We need a towing vehicle for our Escape 19' (delivery March 2016.) It has to double for our day to day go-to vehicle, so don't want it all decked out with things like off-road capabilities etc., Will 5000 do the trick? it's a great size for us, but untested. Kia has a middle of the road reputation, but maybe not a bad thing. The model has a v6, turbo charged, back up cameras etc. What do you think?

neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Second consideration would be allowable tongue weight, you're going to need 350 + lbs. or so. And next, your overall gross vehicle weight rating for passengers and cargo. Then hitch availability and electrical setup for brake controller. I don't know much about Kias, I'm sure someone who has tried it or researched will contribute.
Dave

Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Dave hit on most of the key questions. The towing capacity is only part of the picture. There's max allowable tongue weight, GVWR, GCWR, etc. As long as all these numbers work, I see no reason why you can't tow a 19 with a Sorento.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Dave hit on most of the key questions. The towing capacity is only part of the picture. There's max allowable tongue weight, GVWR, GCWR, etc. As long as all these numbers work, I see no reason why you can't tow a 19 with a Sorento.
I agree - and so does Kia. From the beginning of what looks like - in a quick skim - a good towing section in the owner's manual (which starts on page 5-98):
Quote:
WARNING - Weight limits
Before towing, make sure the total trailer weight, GCW (gross combination weight), GVW (gross vehicle weight), GAW (gross axle weight) and trailer tongue load are all within the limits.
The GVWR and GAWR are given on the usual placard on the vehicle, but that doesn't include the GCWR... and the GCWR doesn't appear to be in the manual, either. I don't think that's actually a problem in this case, because even with an Escape 19 loaded to its 4000 pound maximum there would still be at least 1000 pounds left for passengers and cargo in the Kia (because the 4000 lb GCWR is 1000 pounds under the maximum trailer rating).

On page 5-104, the trailer weight ratings are listed. The combination of big engine and towing package is the only one with 5000 pound capacity, but that's the one we're talking about. Unfortunately, the tongue weight limit is only 350 pounds - not likely to be adequate for an Escape larger than a 17 Foot, and marginal even for a 17 in some cases of equipment and loading. Our current van has the same tongue weight limit (unless a WD system is used), and I have considered a 19 Foot, but I'm not sure I can manage the loading to keep the tongue weight that low.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
It does look like the 350 lb tongue could be an issue. From the Fiberglass forums "Real Weights" table, the 19 is anywhere from 220 to 460 lbs. You'd probably need to forgo the front storage box, and be pretty careful loading, IF, you want to try and keep it in spec. A weight distribution hitch is fairly heavy too. If you don't know, Dry Hitch Weight usually does not include propane or battery weight, not sure about Escapes though. Maybe Rbryan knows as he has one.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
One thing to consider for any tow vehicle is 4 wheel drive. Not all campsites are on stone or asphalt. If you ever camp on grass and try to pull a trailer in 2 wheel drive when the grass is wet, you will not get too far. 4WD gives you more versatility, particularly in winter or wet weather.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
The KIA Sorrento with the tow package also has All wheel drive. We will have to look into the tongue weight issue. This is still something we don't fully understand. How would it be possible to find the tongue weight if it isn't in the owners manual?
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Look on the receiver, it may have a label or be imprinted with the amount.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Kia tongue weight limits

You could call a couple of dealers and ask them. Then find out where, what they say is certified by Kia. I would not volunteer the limit you need. Can you tell I have some trust issues with car dealers?
Might be on an Internet Kia forum too.
We tow with the V6 highlander. Horsepower will not be your issue. You want a solid combination that works together, not fighting a weak link.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
2016 KIA SORENTO tongue weight

You may find this link information useful.

2016 Kia Sorento Reviews - Kia Sorento Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

lists tongue dead weight as 500 lbs. and with weight dist. hich as 750 lbs.

smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote