Lesson learned regarding hitching up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Lesson learned regarding hitching up

Summary: I could not hitch up my trailer with it level and my tow vehicle on a downhill slope. I had to use several extra blocks to remedy the problem. This could have been prevented by using extra blocks under the trailer jack to begin with when I unhitched.

Details: I parked my trailer on a level spot at Torrie Lake State Park, New Mexico, but my Toyota was on a slight downhill slope. I noticed that when I unhitched the trailer I had to extend the trailer jack all the way up in order to free the hitch's ball, but I was able to do so and didn't think anything of it.

A week later I started to hitch up the trailer to leave. I put the trailer tongue 22 inches above the ground, which usually allows the hitch ball to just go under it. But this time, with the truck on a downhill slope and no trailer weighing down its suspension, the hitch ball was still a few inches too high. I raised the tongue jack as far as it would go and it wasn't far enough. I couldn't hitch up. Uh oh.

I rummaged around in the outside storage box until I found enough plastic leveler blocks and pieces of wood to prop up the trailer tongue. Then I raised the jack until it was off the ground. I put the two pieces of wood I had left over under the jack. This let me jack up the trailer high enough to go over the hitch ball.

Lesson learned: If you are in a situation where your trailer is level but your tow vehicle is facing downhill, use extra blocks under the trailer tongue jack when unhitching to ensure that you can raise it high enough to hitch up again.

And for those of you who are planning an Escape purchase, please consider getting the outside storage box. It is ideal for bulky, lightweight things like plastic levelers and short pieces of pine 2x4. Without it I might not have had those things with me.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use blocks under the jack because I don't want to crank forever.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I normally use one short 2x4 as a "foot" for the jack; I was concerned that stacking them might make the support unstable. But I'd be better off with two or more in this situation, at least.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
The optional hitch wheel accomplishes the same thing by adding 7 inches to the bottom of the jack. Just be sure to remove the wheel after you hitch up.

-Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
I'm interested in purchasing the hitch wheel. I was wondering what model escape owners recommend. I live in california and the shipping cost to purchase directly from escape is something I'd like to avoid.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hitching up

When we had a big fold down years ago, I towed with Buicks and Mercurys. I always had air shocks and the hitch would rebound a few inches
when I unhitched. I learned early on to carry plenty of blocking, good chocks, and on a couple occasions had a couple fellow campers stand on the back bumper and then it was physically possible to lift the coupler and put in more blocks. The Escape,not so much. I got into one situation on grass at a hilly fairgrounds where the Jack pipe wanted to slide while on a side hill. After that I always had a foot long 2x10 with angled cuts on the bottom to dig in. Never burned that one on the last night!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Some vehicles, like some Toyota Sequoias have a ride leveling system with some tow packages that allow for automatic leveling after the trailer is hitched up. On some vehicles, like my Sequoia, this system also allows for manual height control so you can lower or raise the hitch a couple inches.
After lowering the jack to make contact I lower the hitch and pull away.
If you are buying a new tow vehicle it is something to consider.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
I'm interested in purchasing the hitch wheel. I was wondering what model escape owners recommend. I live in california and the shipping cost to purchase directly from escape is something I'd like to avoid.
This item at etrailer.com appears identical to the wheel we got from Escape - and it's 1/3 of their price: Shelby Removable Caster with Pin for 2-1/4" Trailer Jacks - 1,200 lbs

• Application: 2-1/4" round jacks
  • Caster attaches to 2" diameter inner jack tube
  • Reduces overall jack capacity to 1,200 lbs
  • Wheel diameter: 5-1/2"

Don't discard the flat footplate that comes with the jack, since you may need to use it in order to lower hitch enough to level the camper on a sloping site.

-Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the hitch wheel is one of those things that you think you need and then discover that you don't. There have been a few offered for free over the years to any taker.
Mine has spent its entire life in the rear footwell of my tow vehicle.
It only works on a smooth, level concrete surface. On any softer surface, the wheel just digs in and won't aid turning or moving the trailer.
I've kept mine, only because some day I might want to shift the nose of the trailer a couple inches in my carport.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #10

When I replaced my tongue jack,I bought the new one from e trailer. I bought the foot plate too.
My old ETI wheel fits the new jack but I never use it. I'm not strong enough to push the 19 sideways , the tandem scuff is too much for this old man
Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

And that's on flat level concrete.
Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I use blocks under the jack because I don't want to crank forever.
I did this too. Always use at least 6" of blocks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #13
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
I bought one of these. It saves some cranking and I prefer it over wood blocks (no splinters). Have had one instance where it was a bit too tall but otherwise so far so good. When I couldn't use it I had to run the jack nearly all the way down and I was surprised at how unstable it was. I did buy a washer and put it in the cavity where the tongue jack goes to prevent the metal from digging into the plastic.

T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
The hitch wheel was an option we picked when we ordered our 'cute little 17b.'

We've used it a few times when we were not happy with where the trailer was positioned on our paved driveway and we were not good enough backer-uppers to position it without pushing it.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
The Lesson(s) we've learned about hitching up is that the thing you've forgotten or didn't know about hitching can become VERY important if disaster strikes.

Two lessons. #1. I assumed Liz had put the hitch pin on (if that is what it is called) because she had locked the hitch down onto the ball. I asked her about the pin about 1/2 an hour into the drive. We stopped and put the pin on. Lesson: The driver should check everything about hitching up him or herself. I forgot to check the hitch up.

#2. Something we didn't "know" although we had read the ETI manual which covers this detail. We didn't know that the battery switch (the inside switch which turns off all battery power to the trailer) MUST be up (power available within the trailer) in order for the breakaway cord to trigger the trailer brakes should THE TRAILER BECOME DISCONNECTED WHILE UNDERWAY.

As reasonably intelligent people but new to all things towing we learned that there are many details and lots of material to cover. Make a list and check it two (or three) times before heading out. A tip I read on our Forum is that you should do everything in the same order every time.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I'm not strong enough to push the 19 sideways , the tandem scuff is too much for this old man
I think it's too much for most of us.

A FiberglassRV member recently installed power movers on his trailer, and on the supplier's website I noticed their solution to this issue: put casters under the wheels of one axle...
Installation Videos | Trailer Movers | Trailer Mover | Remote Trailer Movers | Purple Line

Because the tandem Torflex arrangement doesn't equalize load between the axles, if the casters are put under the trailing tires then the tongue should be lowered to keep the load on the leading tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
I bought one of these. It saves some cranking and I prefer it over wood blocks (no splinters).
My current trailer came with neither a foot nor a wheel, and with the end of the jack tube damaged (presumably by dragging). With the damage I didn't even try fitting anything - I just use that same stand.

At home I use a manual dolly to move the trailer by hand, and at campsites I have only moved the trailer with the tug, so I have not needed either a wheel or a foot that can be skidded.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
This item at etrailer.com appears identical to the wheel we got from Escape - and it's 1/3 of their price: Shelby Removable Caster with Pin for 2-1/4" Trailer Jacks - 1,200 lbs

• Application: 2-1/4" round jacks
  • Caster attaches to 2" diameter inner jack tube
  • Reduces overall jack capacity to 1,200 lbs
  • Wheel diameter: 5-1/2"

Don't discard the flat footplate that comes with the jack, since you may need to use it in order to lower hitch enough to level the camper on a sloping site.

-Dave
Thanks for the kind response. Going this route, do I just replace the foot plate with the wheel? Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to trailering. I tend to do okay parking at campsites, where I have difficulty (especially when I'm alone) is parking trailer at the storage yard. I have 2 vehicles on either side of my slot and it's a fairly tight fit. Even with someone's help it takes a few attempts. I know this is partially because I sometimes overthink it. I've gotten lucky a few times and threaded it right on the first or second attempt. Which led me to believe it would get easier with practice but much like my golf swing; sometimes I'm golden and other times not so much. I didn't realize you could just replace plate with wheel and though that seems simple enough (especially since I only need it at the storage yard) I'm wondering what other's think of the below setup. It would be cool if the wheel could be replaced with an all-terrain so that it could function on any surface. I've already have visited a couple campsites where I would have loved the capability of turning trailer sideways to take full advantage of a lake or ocean view

https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...j120w0301.webm

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
I bought one of these. It saves some cranking and I prefer it over wood blocks (no splinters). Have had one instance where it was a bit too tall but otherwise so far so good. When I couldn't use it I had to run the jack nearly all the way down and I was surprised at how unstable it was. I did buy a washer and put it in the cavity where the tongue jack goes to prevent the metal from digging into the plastic.

How important is it to place jack on blocks? Currently I just have it on concrete pad with a flatten beer carton under it. do i need to store it with the jack on blocks and if so, please educate me why. thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
How important is it to place jack on blocks? Currently I just have it on concrete pad with a flatten beer carton under it.
It's not important, unless you need blocks for some reason...
  • if you are on soft ground with a small foot, a larger block can keep the jack from sinking in (not a concern on concrete)
  • if you are on a slope with the ground lower under the front of the trailer, the jack may not reach down far enough so you may need a block
  • if you don't have a foot or a jack, you may need something to protect the jack leg end and/or the parking surface
If you don't have a situation like this - or some other reason to need a block - (and it sounds like you don't, Jen) then there's no reason to put a block under the jack.