Let's be careful in 2019 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Let's be careful in 2019

A friend of mine who is also an Escape owner sent me this link that shows travel trailer accidents in 2018:

I'll point out now that most of these RVs were "stick built" trailers and most seemed to go out of control when either passing or being passed by big trucks.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yikes! Anyone thinking of buying one of them top-heavy, wheeled sailors should see this.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Scary, and sad for those involved. Almost all of these appear to escalate because the drivers don’t know how to respond to sway.
If you encounter the trailer doing this, foot off the gas, do not apply vehicle brakes, and use the manual brake lever on the brake controller to apply only trailer brakes.
This will straighten things out almost immediately and put you back in control.
Wishing all a happy and safe New Year.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Lots of tail wagging the dog. And bad language. Where the trailer is swaying back and forth and there’s not much movement in the tow vehicle, I suspect they are towing off the ball with no weight distributing hitch. A lapse in paying attention ( read that “cell phone usage” must surely be involved at times too). Interesting for sure.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Many of the trailers that started swaying and eventually crashed in the video were single axle trailers being towed by a small, light weight, short wheel base vehicles. Not an ideal combination, seems to me.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Many of the trailers that started swaying and eventually crashed in the video were single axle trailers being towed by a small, light weight, short wheel base vehicles. Not an ideal combination, seems to me.

I tow my single axle 17B with a RAV4, using a weight distribution hitch. I load the trailer properly. I check the tongue weight and I've had no problems in ten years.
One of the trailers in the video was pulled by a full size Ram pickup. What does that prove?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quite a few years ago my wife and I survived a rollover wreck much like many of the ones in this video. We were in the back seat of an Explorer towing a cargo trailer, on the way home from a hot air balloon event, when the driver swerved suddenly to avoid an obstacle in the road. The trailer started swerving wildly back and forth and suddenly as it came around it flipped the SUV over and we rolled at highway speed and thankfully came to a stop right side up on the side of the road, all the windows blown out and cargo everywhere. But everyone in the SUV was wearing seat belts and no one had more than bruises and scratches....and maybe a little PTSD.

We were already in the "always wear your seat belt" camp and it sure paid off that day. Also had a bearing on our decision to get a small fifth wheel rather than bumper pull trailer because of the significantly more stable towing characteristics.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
On the bright side: From viewing the video, I now have great confidence in the strength of the trailer hitches used. They seem to be able to keep tow and trailer attached even with most violent manoeuvres.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
I agree , to me it looks like a combination of excess speed and too large of a trailer coupled with not enough tow vehicle .
Old 12-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:

If you look closely at the single axle trailers you can see the axles were all too far forward butting too much weight at the back end. That's what I like about the Escape 17, the axles are well placed and so they are very stable to pull.