Let's discuss hitches - specifically 5th wheel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Let's discuss hitches - specifically 5th wheel

It's Sunday or else I'd fire off an email to Escape.

Does anyone know what model Escape offers? I know it's a Reece.

Alf has posted he's using a Husky 16K EZRoller: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1....html#post8348

and Fran & Dave use a B&W Patriot Hitch: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...html#post26974

This 5th wheel stuff is all new to me. It's going to be big bucks over the <$40 it cost me to tow my 16' Scamp (all I had to buy was the stinker and ball.)

I've spent quite a bit of time looking on the web and it's making my eyes water. And folks talk about turning 90 degrees, I guess I don't understand why that's a concern unless you're pulling into some strange parking space. I know there's no possible way I can jack knife my Scamp without doing major damage to both the truck and tow... so I don't! So, why should I think I could/should do it with a 5th wheel....

Because I live in Oregon's largest city, I can buy locally and tax free. I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck without buying in excess or going the other way and buying something not appropriate for the application needed.

THANKS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: none
Some of your hitch decisions will be affected by your tow vehicle...bed material (composite vs steel) length (4', 5', 6' more), etc.
Do you know what you are going to get as a tow vehicle? (not sure what they used for the Enterprise )
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Right NOW, I'm thinking Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. Love my current Ford! But, (isn't there always), the new Chevy Silverado is a fine looking truck too. Whatever, the bed with be 6' and it won't be a Honda or Toyota.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Right NOW, I'm thinking Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. Love my current Ford! But, (isn't there always), the new Chevy Silverado is a fine looking truck too. Whatever, the bed with be 6' and it won't be a Honda or Toyota.
From what little I know of this, with that sort of tow vehicle you should have a wide open selection. And there should be no reason to get a slider hitch as a 6' bed should give you plenty of room for mounting over the axle and still having a great turning capability....probably 90 degree!

I'm sure others will chime in with information about their favorite hitches....
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Donna,
I believe F150 boxes are 5.5',6.5' or 8'.

I know mine is 5.5', hope it will work!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
Donna,
I believe F150 boxes are 5.5',6.5' or 8'.

I know mine is 5.5', hope it will work!
Our Frontier has a 5' bed and we were able to make it work (without a slider hitch)...not standard but it works. 6.5' would be easier.
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Team

You're right Vicki, don't know what I was thinking... D'oh.. Currently I own a SuperCab 6'5". I'll want to replace that with a new one!

I'll ask again, does anyone know the model of Reece 5th wheel hitch that Escape uses?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
You're right Vicki, don't know what I was thinking... D'oh.. Currently I own a SuperCab 6'5". I'll want to replace that with a new one!

I'll ask again, does anyone know the model of Reece 5th wheel hitch that Escape uses?
We seem to recall that Reace said they were using a Reece 15K. That was when we talked to him this spring.
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Here's my two cents Donna. Find a good truck accessory or hitch business and have them install your 5th wheel hitch. A 15K over the axle should handle it. As for me, I installed a Curt 16K with a frame kit myself that I bought online. Brackets that bolt to the truck frame add some strength to the install. Some 5.0 owners have hit their truck beds with the under frame on the 5.0 overhang during a dip or drop off doing damage to their vehicle. Escape Industries can help you get your pull level with adequate truck and trailer clearance. As like most anything, more money spent on the hitch equates to better quality. Look to spend at least $400 to $500.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Escape sold me a Pro Series 15k 5th wheel hitch this summer. Here is the same hitch on etrailer. Pro Series 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch - Slide Bar Jaw - 15,000 lbs Pro Series Fifth Wheel PS30093

I bought a nylon lubricating pad for it on my way back to New England after realizing that there should probably be some kind of lubrication between the metal-metal contact. I'm not sure why Escape or the hitch shop in Chilliwack didn't mention that. I don't know anything about the pros and cons of this hitch versus any other one except it seems to work OK.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Tim, thank you. You've answered my question regarding the "what" 5th wheel hitch Escape sells on the build sheet for a 5er.

DaveandSandyClink, my thoughts exactly. I will have someone locally sell and mount the hitch... shoot, I'm months out! I don't even have the truck yet. (people don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan... and I'm a planner!)
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #12

Yes, we bought one of those lubricating pads and brought it up there with us so they could put in on before we hitched up. Works very well.
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That hitch brand is "Reese", not "Reece"... you're mixing up the names of the hitch manufacturer and the trailer manufacturer! Probably amusing for Reace, who often has to put up with people mis-spelling his name as "Reese"!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #14

I don't think the brand of hitch matters much, since it is a competitive market and most companies' products are similar. There are differences in head design and especially jaw design, but I'm not sure they're of much significance with such a light trailer, that will likely weigh about a quarter of the hitch capacity.

I think what likely matters more to the owner are:
  • slider or not (and manual slider, or automatic slider such as the SuperGlide)
  • mounting system.

I don't know if anyone buying an Escape would install a fixed mount hitch in their pickup truck, and be stuck with it (or at least the mounting frame) all of the time - I certainly wouldn't.

The most common mounting system involves two rails which run across the truck bed, supported by brackets under the box. These rails remain in the box when the hitch is removed, which may or may not be an annoyance for the owner - I wouldn't want them, but perhaps could work around them. This system is so common that they are interchangeable between some manufacturers, such as Reese (15/16K models) and Husky (and even one system from B&W - Patriot).

The other system which is gaining popularity is the "puck" setup introduced by Reese and now available from Ford as a factory option in SuperDuty pickups. Hitches are available from at least Reese (Elite series) and B&W (Companion OEM). The four pucks are mounting pads which don't stick up like the rails.

There are also fifth-wheel hitches that sit on the bed floor and anchor to a recessed point in the floor which is normally used for a ball. The most common example is probably the B&W's Companion for the Turnoverball system.

I mentioned the B&W product line a few times in this because they accommodate a range of mounting systems, but in each case the same fifth-wheel hitch head is used.

I would decide whether sliding was needed or not, and then the mounting system, and only then the manufacturer.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
[QUOTE=Brian B-P;32920]That hitch brand is "Reese", not "Reece"... you're mixing up the names of the hitch manufacturer and the trailer manufacturer!

That's "Reace", not "Reece", you're mixing up the name of one of the Escape owners with something else.

I did see though that you spelled it correct in the latter part of your post, just wanted to yank your chain!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
I will have someone locally sell and mount the hitch...
That makes sense to me. I see no reason to buy a hitch in Canada and import it to the U.S., especially when it was made in the U.S. (or at least purchased from a U.S. supplier) in the first place! The hitch (and wiring) installation can be done with no time pressure at home, in advance.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
When I got bids to install the hitch before driving to Chilliwack the same 5th wheel hitch would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars more if I had it installed locally. Economy of scale? I don't know, but I'm satisfied with letting Tammy make the arrangements for the installation. It was done before Dave finished the orientation.

In retrospect, if Escape had offered me a choice of several hitches I might have chosen something different. I put my blind faith in Reace's selection. So far, so good.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

For compact and midsize trucks (Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, Colorado/Canyon, Dakota) the choice may not matter so much, because hardware for the puck and Turnoverball mounting systems only seem to be available for full-size trucks. The smaller trucks have little choice other than the "universal" rail system.

Donna, on the other hand, intends to tow with a Ford F-150, for which all common hitch mounting systems are available. Too bad the factory built-in hitch mounting system is only on the F-SuperDuty models, not the F-150...
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim View Post

I bought a nylon lubricating pad for it on my way back to New England after realizing that there should probably be some kind of lubrication between the metal-metal contact. I'm not sure why Escape or the hitch shop in Chilliwack didn't mention that. I don't know anything about the pros and cons of this hitch versus any other one except it seems to work OK.
I'm having ETI's hitch folks mount the hitch for me. I want to purchase a lube pad in advance. Does anyone know if there's a specific"size" I should be looking to purchase or is it a one size fits all? TIA
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I'm having ETI's hitch folks mount the hitch for me. I want to purchase a lube pad in advance. Does anyone know if there's a specific"size" I should be looking to purchase or is it a one size fits all? TIA
Hi: Donna D...Having to much fun here at ETI rally in Osoyoos. I brought a 10" nylon plate to Chilliwack and it seems standard size. Cost $10. and took little room in our stuffed truck. Alf... Sorry no time for pic's yet!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote