Lightweight towing. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Toyota does not "recommend “not” to use a WDH".
It does not recommend a WDH. There is a difference. I got clarification from Toyota Canada and was told because they do not have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, they don't recommend any particular one.
Not quite sure about my semantics when I said what I thought about Toyota’s recommendation,

“NOT to use a WDH”

Here’s the excerpt from the 2008 RAV 4 Toyota manual, page 350, for clarification on my poor interpretation. It is what I meant when I said what I said.

“HITCHES
Use only a weight carrying hitch designed for the total trailer weight. Toyota does not recommend using a weight distribution (load equalizing) hitch.
2008 RAV4 from Feb. ’08 Prod. (OM42726U”
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All I can say is that I asked Toyota Canada the reason for not recommending use of a WDH. I received a phone call from them explaining that they don't make one and don't have a relationship with a manufacturer ( in other words, spec and test ) a WDH so they don't recommend one.
My WDH receiver was installed at the dealership prior to me taking delivery in 2008. I asked them to check it during a recent service and they reported it was A-OK.
As you can see, the quoted portion of the manual is not on a yellow ( warning ) background. Just black on white text.
They also recommend removal of the hitch when not towing and not towing over 40 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
RAV manual 3.jpg  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm towing a 17A w/ a 2018 Highlander v6 (tow capacity TWR 5000) My owner's manual says if gross trailer wt is over 2000 "sway control device with sufficient capacity is required". if gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb "a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required". That last is odd, as the towing capacity is 5000. I am towing with the E2 hitch.

Anyway, the 17A brochure says the dry weight of the A is 1,970--mine came from the factory (per their paperwork) at 2,650. Possible contributions to that extra 680 lbs are the 6 volt batteries, AC, Extra insulation, kitchen window, power jack, storage box, and the reinforcement of the left side entry wall.

The 17B brochure lists dry weight at 2400. With my additions it would ship at 3050. Depending on what options you chose, that's cutting it pretty close.

Edited to add that your fresh, gray, and black tanks all half full would be about 270 lbs.

Definitely check your tow vehicle owner's manual. If there were an accident while towing, your insurance company will likely check that your vehicle was properly equipped.

Have fun with your new trailer and safe travels to you!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #24

gbaglo. After looking at your before and after pictures, it was defiantly a wise decision.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #25

Is gbaglo usually defiant? (just joking, rrgramps)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Is gbaglo usually defiant? (just joking, rrgramps)
I thought it was me...
...and yes, I am sometimes defiant, cantankerous, and grumpy.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #27

well, then, i'll be sure to stay off your lawn.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tandem axles do discourage sway, because the two sets of tires fight each other in any rotation (turns or sway); however, that certainly does not mean either that a single-axle trailer will sway or that a tandem-axle trailer won't sway.

As in any trailer forum, there are often discussions of sway, including links to online videos of swaying trailers. One pattern that I've noticed is that all of the really dramatic videos of trailers swaying to point of crashing are of tandem-axle trailers, usually with weight-distribution hitches.

There is no reason to assume that a single-axle trailer needs a sway control device, or that a tandem-axle trailer will be stable without one. Loading and other factors are more important.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17C - Custom Painted
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
Hi all,

We're getting a 17B in the spring and our tow vehicle is a 2014 Ford Escape with factory tow kit. Tow rating is 3500 lbs and I see that some on the forum have been towing 17s with that capacity. We also plan to do what we can to travel light to add what margin we can (e.g. tow mostly dry).

My question is directed at people with smaller tow vehicles (Siennas, RAV-4s...) and 17 trailers: do you use a load-leveling or load-leveling + sway-control hitch in your setup or just ball-on-tongue and that's it? ETI mentioned to us that most 17 owners don't use load-leveling or sway-control setups but I wonder if they their data is biased towards setups with larger tow vehicles in general.
I'll send you a PM with some extra details not related to hitches, but to summarize our situation:

My wife and I have a 2006 17B, and a 2010 Toyota Venza with a 3,500 lb towing rating and factory tow package. We have a weight distributing hitch, and it tows just fine. Based on our experience, that's all you need!
patchy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #30

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've had at least two Equalizer WDH hitches. While they equalized the trailer/tug combo and never had sway, despite my bad hearing, the squeal in campgrounds drove me crazy. We had an Andersen WDH, but despite many, many conversations with Andersen there were situations where we had sway with our 24' Cougar.

After reading about the Blue Ox hitch for a couple of years, we decided to put one on our 25' Bigfoot RQ. It did everything it was supposed to and is the easiest WDH to hook up I've ever had, plus the grease stayed where it was supposed to. When we purchased our 1995 Lance we purchased another Blue Ox and again it worked perfect (this time we added an Andersen greaseless ball). When we ordered an Escape 21 our intention was to keep the Blue Ox that was on our Lance, but we changed our minds and now are very, very pleased with our 5.0 TA. If I was to get another WDH it would be a Blue Ox.

As always, YMMV.

Perry
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 17B Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have #1.

I don't think sway bars are needed. I've had to make a couple radical lane changes over ten years and the trailer just follows the tow.
We got #2 but knowing what I now know would have gone with #1 (or maybe #3) and bought a sway bar later if necessary. We have never experienced any sway with our 17b. I’ll note that the 4Runner is said to have some built-in sway control with the tow package that I can’t explain in functional terms.
Dlawseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape19 2016
I have towed a 17 foot without a sway-control hitch and once in a while the trailer started to sway - going down curving hills in a wind for example. It's too scary - get the sway control!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Hunt View Post
I have towed a 17 foot without a sway-control hitch and once in a while the trailer started to sway - going down curving hills in a wind for example. It's too scary - get the sway control!

But, did you have a weight distribution hitch?
I do, but it doesn't have the sway control.

Never a problem.

And, was that 17 foot an Escape or SOB. I see from your profile that you have an Escape 19.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 2011 17B
We picked up our 17b with a 2010 Ranger Elt and did that for a few seasons. When we went back to ETI to get a storage box added, we also got the hitch. It tows much better. The Ranger and Escape are very similar vehicles (mine has a bucket and yours doesn't) so performance should be similar
lieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape19 2016
no, neither - I was young and foolish! It was a Boler, but now I have an Escape and love it!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B due August
Get the WDH from Escape and have them install it! You will be happy that you did. Friends had a bad experience and had to get one installed on the way home. Be safe!
blakebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 17b Escape
We have a Ford Escape 2014 and are towing our 17B. We have an Anderson hitch and experience no swaying. It is important to keep storage box light weight. I believe ours was too heavy and we had to get a wheel alignment $730. The Escape did very well going as much as 10,000 feet in cool or cold weather. Driving up to 6,000 feet in hot weather overheated the engine. No fun we had to stop several times to let the engine cool. The other problem with the Escape is the small fuel tank which forces you to fill up about every three hours of driving.
Clack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakebt View Post
Get the WDH from Escape and have them install it! You will be happy that you did. Friends had a bad experience and had to get one installed on the way home. Be safe!
Never needed one with my JGC, but started using the friction bar, and the ride felt smoother and the trailer less bouncy. The Casita tongue weight is around 400 pounds, maybe more. The E-21’ isn’t much heavier.

I do have the E-2 WDH hitch waiting. Questionable about the Jeep Grand Cherokee auto leveling shocks fighting the WDH though.
Rrgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #39

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
WDH and shocks on JGC and Dodge Durango

90K on the Jeep and now over 30K on the Dodge. I always use a WDH since an incident or two many years ago and the equalizer shocks or whatever they are called does not make any difference. Half or more of the mileage was towing.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clack99 View Post
We have a Ford Escape 2014 and are towing our 17B. We have an Anderson hitch and experience no swaying. It is important to keep storage box light weight. I believe ours was too heavy and we had to get a wheel alignment $730. The Escape did very well going as much as 10,000 feet in cool or cold weather. Driving up to 6,000 feet in hot weather overheated the engine. No fun we had to stop several times to let the engine cool. The other problem with the Escape is the small fuel tank which forces you to fill up about every three hours of driving.

Can you give me more details on your Ford Escape? Which engine do you have and do you have the factory tow package w. transmission cooler?

Thanks!
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote