Look what followed me home last week - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Look what followed me home last week

Well...I was going to keep the Trailblazer another year

Got a good price on a 2014 Silverado LTZ trim double cab with no options except integrated trailer brake controller and bucket seats - it's still got more bells and whistles than I can figure out so far .
5.3 litre V8 with cylinder deactivation - 7200 GVW & 15000 GCWR... I guess Norma can bring that extra dutch oven now
Attached Thumbnails
dr side rear sm.jpg   canopy frnt sm.jpg  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Nice truck guys, great match for the 21! Looking forward to one of Norma's DO dinners
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice... very, very nice!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
You have a great tow to pull a 21 and I know what you are saying about the bells and whistles. I went from a 1998 Chevrolet Astro van to the 2014 GMC and the way the computer or computers control everything is amazing. I just hope all of this fancy stuff keeps working. But between getting a new trailer and a new tug to tow with like a lot of us have done, the dollars kind of start to add up. Oh well, you can't take it with you as I have yet to see the armored truck following the hearse. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Very nice truck, and good time of year to take advantage of year end clearances...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Very nice Paul. Like the capper.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Thumbs up

We went from Trailblazer to 2014 Silverado as well. Never pulled the 21' with the Trailblazer. Had a Casita at the time. You will love tow/haul mode. Pulls the 21' like nobody's business.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Beautiful truck. I agree with Carl - it'll pull your 21 like it's not even there.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was wondering if your truck has the factory installed brake controller, factory installed and incorporated on far left of dashboard, right above the lights and 4WD knobs. When I got my Silvey it came without. Dealer had a local sub-contracter put a controller in for me, down below, right side of steering wheel. At the time there was some mysterious issue about the factory install.
Attached Thumbnails
Silvy1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I was wondering if your truck has the factory installed brake controller, factory installed and incorporated on far left of dashboard, right above the lights and 4WD knobs. When I got my Silvey it came without. Dealer had a local sub-contracter put a controller in for me, down below, right side of steering wheel. At the time there was some mysterious issue about the factory install.
Ya - its the factory install - upper left. It looks nice - next week I'll get to see how it works .
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Site Team

The subject of brake controllers and when/if the factory installs them is a weird one for me. You would think the "factory tow package" would include a brake controller but it almost never does nowadays unless you're talking their HD truck with an "HD tow package", or the "Max Tow Package" or similar. We have the tow package but it didn't include the integrated controller. We had the dealer do it because although I could get the controller just about anywhere for far less, they still have to program it to work with the dash electronics. The Ford integrated controller has a great rep, and we also like the fact you don't have an extra piece of gear hanging under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 F150 Brake Controller.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Ya - its the factory install - upper left. It looks nicer - next week I'll get to see how it works .
Mine works great!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We went from Trailblazer to 2014 Silverado as well. Never pulled the 21' with the Trailblazer. Had a Casita at the time. You will love tow/haul mode. Pulls the 21' like nobody's business.
Thanks everybody.

I bought the Trailblazer after towing our first FGRV Scamp 16 home with our Subaru Outback and stopping at a scale it on the way home. It towed the Scamp then our Escape 17B and finally our 21 really well actually. It was just getting too easy to go over the 10000# GCWR with the 21.
This Silverado is amazing - comfortable, smooth, quiet and it gets better mileage than the TB did and its not even broken in.
Only trouble is they make so many goodies for trucks that you neeeed - canopy, bed liner, steps, mats, flaps - next week a Decked storage system... I gotta go camping
Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The subject of brake controllers and when/if the factory installs them is a weird one for me. You would think the "factory tow package" would include a brake controller but it almost never does nowadays unless you're talking their HD truck with an "HD tow package", or the "Max Tow Package" or similar. We have the tow package but it didn't include the integrated controller. We had the dealer do it because although I could get the controller just about anywhere for far less, they still have to program it to work with the dash electronics. The Ford integrated controller has a great rep, and we also like the fact you don't have an extra piece of gear hanging under the dash.
A buddy of mine has the Ford integrated controller and raves about it.
The trim level we got has all the trailering goodies as part of the build except the controller of course . The Max Tow package gets you a heavier rear differential with a different ratio.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #15

Right, the factory install is really nice. Before my purchase the dealer gave me a loaner, a yard truck containing the factory install, for a few days, then, when I was ready to buy, produced an otherwise identical, brand new one for me, but, with no brake controller installed. When I insisted on the brake controller, dealer said their service dept. wasn't permitted to install one. That seemed odd. The truck was otherwise tow-ready, but when it was apparent this was a deal breaker they quickly got the sub-contractor into their shop.

No subsequent issues, and I do love the truck.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Talk about bells and whistles. Looking at all of those knobs and controls, what would grandpa say? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Talk about bells and whistles. Looking at all of those knobs and controls, what would grandpa say? Loren
Grandpa would probably grunt and complain about all the "doo-dads" and "thingamajigs". Later I'd probably find him in the truck playing with them.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Right, the factory install is really nice. Before my purchase the dealer gave me a loaner, a yard truck containing the factory install, for a few days, then, when I was ready to buy, produced an otherwise identical, brand new one for me, but, with no brake controller installed. When I insisted on the brake controller, dealer said their service dept. wasn't permitted to install one. That seemed odd. The truck was otherwise tow-ready, but when it was apparent this was a deal breaker they quickly got the sub-contractor into their shop.

No subsequent issues, and I do love the truck.
I seem to recall a discussion on a Silverado forum about Chevrolet not letting dealers alter the harness to install them on 2014s at first. I think that's resolved now and there's a kit available.
Do you have the tow mirrors? That's the one option I would have included if I spec'd the truck. The tips of standard mirrors are set about 5" further apart than the 21 is wide.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #19

No, no tow mirrors. I tow a 19. Have no problems seeing behind me with standard issue door mirrors. Also no weight distribution hitch. Find the tow mode wand on the steering column to be a nice assist when braking steep roads but otherwise cannot tell if it is of any benefit on straightaway highway travel. So, I rarely use it then.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The subject of brake controllers and when/if the factory installs them is a weird one for me. You would think the "factory tow package" would include a brake controller but it almost never does nowadays unless you're talking their HD truck with an "HD tow package", or the "Max Tow Package" or similar. We have the tow package but it didn't include the integrated controller.
Since integrated controllers didn't even exist until a few years ago, and are still not available in most vehicles (just some full-size pickups, and perhaps the related SUVs), I don't think the average buyer expects it to be included. It's a competitive environment, and throwing in extra stuff could attract buyers, but it could also make your product look expensive.

As long as the descriptions are clear and the integrated controller can readily be ordered, I don't have a problem with it being separately listed. In any vehicle with an integrated controller available I would buy it. If I didn't like it, I could still add an aftermarket controller and disconnect the integrated one.

This does seem like a dealer-installable component to me. I would be quite disappointed if I bought a vehicle which could have one as factory equipment, but the dealer would or could not install it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote