LT tires on TT - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
LT tires on TT

I have read through the thread on speed ratings and load range ratings and see that ETI has changed brands of tires that they install. I have always been partial to Michelin (first choice) or Bridgestone tires on the many trucks and suvs that I have owned. Even though many trucks have been work trucks I never had a tire failure or flat. When traveling the highways it is not unusual to see tt, enclosed, and utility trailers with flats and blowouts (more than other vehicles). I realize some are more than likely due to improper maintenance and inflation.

1 Is anyone running LT tires on their tt? ( I don't find 205/75/r15 on Michelins or Bridgestones website but they do have 205/70/r15)
2 If an LT tire is not an option for some reason what is deemed the best trailer tire on the market currently?
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
LT v. ST

There is always a lively discussion on this topic.
Back a few years ago when the Cash for Clunkers took place I kept a nearly new set of Michelin LTX tires off our doomed Grand Cherokee, and my son has used them on his dual axle trailer to pull his rock crawler made from a Ford Bronco. Proable weight around 6,000 lbs. It has seemed to work fine, but how would you know, since he pulls with an F-250 diesel.

The discussion is that ST tires are designed to track straight with stiffer side walls and other design factors that I have forgotten and usually are inflated to the highest number on the side wall, unlike car/truck tires that are inflated less for handling and traction reasons.

Following the advice of several of our most knowledgeable members (Dave) I just bought yesterday a set of four Goodyear Endurance ST205/75/15. This was after about 42,000 miles on the trailer and never having had an issue with the lesser rated Carlisle original tires. I used a five tire rotation, so each had fewer actual miles of use, and the two best of the five I kept--the spare and an extra unmounted "spare" and those have 7/32s of tread left, though the others did not.

The Endurance tires are an American made replacement for the Goodyear Marathons, which were reportedly only pretty good. These are supposed to be very good with a higher speed rating (81?) and a higher load rating and higher inflation option--up to 65psi. I had earlier this year recommended that my other son try a set of four on his 7,000 boat, and they have done fine.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've heard ST's have a stiffer sidewall. Some folks with the big trailers use LT's, but it's not common. Oliver runs Michelin LT's, they also have a writeup on what to do about flat spots!

A best probably doesn't exist, don't think anyone has done any sort of testing on them. Your sure to get the whole gamut of answers.

Not long ago the Maxxis M8008's were favored by many if not the majority on the larger RV forum I read. Lately Goodyear came out with the Endurance, it's too new to have any long term reviews but folks like it, so far.

I have had 2 sets of Power King Towmax's, they were flat out terrible.
Had M8008's, I liked them, sold the trailer when they had around 10k on them.
The Escape came with Carlisle Radial Trails, I liked those too, looked like the Maxxis. Had 1 blow out at around 25k. Changed out to the Endurance's at about 35k. The Endurance's seem fine so far but I only have a few k on them.

Like most things on the internet, if you look at reviews for any of the trailer tires they vary enough where where you walk away totally confused. At this point I'd have no qualms buying any of the above other then the Power King's.

Edit: Bill beat me to most of this.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good basic info. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219
Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Thanks for the early replies. I realize that trailer tires are subjected to a lot of pressure and flexing on the sidewalls when jacking a trailer into a tight spot (especially on asphalt) therefore the heavier sidewalls. Just thinking about getting an upgrade on our 21' on order. The side of the interstate is not where I want to be changing a blown or flat tire. Just trying to be somewhat proactive.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always had good luck with replacing tires at 50% of their life, have not had a flat in over 30 years operating 2 vehicles. I had one on one of my Escapes, but again the tires were getting close to the 50% tread life.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We got new Endurance tires in the spring and are happy with them. Since putting them on have been all the way to the west coast and to GA even got close to you stopping in Asheville on the way home. They have always been right at 62 lb pressure every time I check them (every day traveling). With the old Marathons I always worried about going over 65 on the Interstates but on the recent trip south usually did a constant 70.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
( I don't find 205/75/r15 on Michelins or Bridgestones website but they do have 205/70/r15)
Since there have probably not been any motor vehicles sold in North America with a 205/75R15 tire for years, that size won't likely be available in LT from any manufacturer. Light trucks today typically use 16" and larger wheels, and people still running 15" usually want wider tires than 205 mm. An LT205/70R15 is probably an upgrade of old mini-pickups that had 14" wheels; in other than LT, it would found on a passenger car or SUV and would be hard to find with sufficient load capacity (so which Michelin or Bridgestone model did you find?). That's okay - there's nothing magic about the original size. ST tires come almost exclusively in 75 and 80 aspect ratio, so that's what is put on trailers.

Any size will work which is of the same overall diameter as the stock tires or moderately taller, of the same section width or moderately wider, on a 15" or 16" rim diameter (so that wheels are available), and with a suitable load capacity in trailer service. A 205/70R15 will be about an inch shorter in overall diameter than the stock tire, which is not likely a problem.

There are some "P" tires which will have suitable capacity, in the Extra Load range, and there might be a few sizes of "LT" tires, but the other type is commercial tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've heard ST's have a stiffer sidewall. Some folks with the big trailers use LT's, but it's not common. Oliver runs Michelin LT's, they also have a writeup on what to do about flat spots!

A best probably doesn't exist, don't think anyone has done any sort of testing on them. Your sure to get the whole gamut of answers.

Not long ago the Maxxis M8008's were favored by many if not the majority on the larger RV forum I read. Lately Goodyear came out with the Endurance, it's too new to have any long term reviews but folks like it, so far.

I have had 2 sets of Power King Towmax's, they were flat out terrible.
Had M8008's, I liked them, sold the trailer when they had around 10k on them.
The Escape came with Carlisle Radial Trails, I liked those too, looked like the Maxxis. Had 1 blow out at around 25k. Changed out to the Endurance's at about 35k. The Endurance's seem fine so far but I only have a few k on them.

Like most things on the internet, if you look at reviews for any of the trailer tires they vary enough where where you walk away totally confused. At this point I'd have no qualms buying any of the above other then the Power King's.

Edit: Bill beat me to most of this.
We went and forth about the tires . In the end went with Maxxis D . Wanted to watch the Endurance first. Had flats with the Carlisle and didn't trust them . Our spare is still the Carlisle . The information is so confusing . Only buy Michelin's for the truck and Subaru . But to get the truck tire needed size 16 . So gave up and went with Maxxis .So far pretty happy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Following the advice of several of our most knowledgeable members (Dave) I just bought yesterday a set of four Goodyear Endurance ST205/75/15. This was after about 42,000 miles on the trailer and never having had an issue with the lesser rated Carlisle original tires. I used a five tire rotation, so each had fewer actual miles of use, and the two best of the five I kept--the spare and an extra unmounted "spare" and those have 7/32s of tread left, though the others did not.
Bill
A little off topic: How often do you rotate your tires and what sequence do you use?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I asked Reace a few years back about rotating, was told front to back only, keep them on the same side. I've done it once since I got the trailer. I really see no difference in tire wear, front to back, side to side, they've all worn the same.

The spare was not aluminum till this year and is now a different brand so I'm not concerned bringing it into the mix.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never rotated tires on any trailer I have owned, including the ones I tow daily. The only time there was any non uniform wear, I had the axles straightened to stop the cause.

Other than on my dump trailer, which goes to the landfill a lot and the perils that lay therein, I have only had one flat on a trailer in my life, and that was a blowout on a 13" tire on my tent trailer, likely from heat wear from towing it too fast. I have use Goodyear and Carlisle with no issues with either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
When traveling the highways it is not unusual to see tt, enclosed, and utility trailers with flats and blowouts (more than other vehicles). I realize some are more than likely due to improper maintenance and inflation.
You mean like the utility trailer I'm currently borrowing that has tires that should be around 50 psi and both were near 20 when I checked them. The spare was even worse. With the stiff sidewalls you couldn't tell by looking at them.

As far as tires for the Escape our trailer has had Maxxis M8008's since July 2014 (put on by previous owner) and we haven't had any issues. If we upgrade to 15" aluminum rims will either go with Maxxis again or consider the Goodyear Endurance.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
A little off topic: How often do you rotate your tires and what sequence do you use?
In a 5 tire rotation, you can use either a "forward cross" pattern or a "rearward cross" pattern - which is the same for a 5 tire rotation (non-directional tires) on a passenger vehicle.

EDIT: I don't rotate the tires at all on my 19, but I've got even wear and see no need.
Attached Thumbnails
tire rotation.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We got new Endurance tires in the spring and are happy with them. Since putting them on have been all the way to the west coast and to GA even got close to you stopping in Asheville on the way home. They have always been right at 62 lb pressure every time I check them (every day traveling). With the old Marathons I always worried about going over 65 on the Interstates but on the recent trip south usually did a constant 70.

Adrian
Hi Adrian
Good summary. New tires, check pressure often, give yourself some “heat up” leeway, pull at speeds that respect the mfrs spec and load to mfrs weight recommendations. And keep your nuts torqued up regularly. I always walk around the trailer at every fuel stop and put my hand on top of each tire and on the hub covers, you’ll notice a “hot box” as an old RR man like you would know. In addition I now have a tire pressure and temperature monitoring system with the 21 but can’t break a 50 year old habit.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Wink

In response to Rick's question, I noticed uneven tire wear that I attributed to an inexactly set up Andersen hitch causing more wear on the front two. I re-drilled and moved it an inch or so.

I just gave one of the more worn front tires a rest on the spare rack, and eventually others got a rest, too, based on tread wear, measuring with one of those pocket worthy tread depth gauges. I have two, I fell so wealthy.

Intervals were sort of after each Osoyoos trip, which for us is around 6,000 miles.

We now have the Goodyear Endurance, which have the 87 mph speed rating, the D load rating, which is 2150lb per tire. We have zero miles so far. Interestingly, I could theoretically run the trailer with a blown tire on each side. That seems like the margin I'm looking for.

As I installed the Endurance tires, I thought they seemed heavy, so weighed one and it is three pounds more that the used Carlisles of the same size. Maybe heavier construction, maybe the tread was worn to the tune of most of that.

As least I didn't have to bother with one of my torque wrenches.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
In response to Rick's question, I noticed uneven tire wear that I attributed to an inexactly set up Andersen hitch causing more wear on the front two. I re-drilled and moved it an inch or so.

I just gave one of the more worn front tires a rest on the spare rack, and eventually others got a rest, too, based on tread wear, measuring with one of those pocket worthy tread depth gauges. I have two, I fell so wealthy.

Intervals were sort of after each Osoyoos trip, which for us is around 6,000 miles.

We now have the Goodyear Endurance, which have the 87 mph speed rating, the D load rating, which is 2150lb per tire. We have zero miles so far. Interestingly, I could theoretically run the trailer with a blown tire on each side. That seems like the margin I'm looking for.

As I installed the Endurance tires, I thought they seemed heavy, so weighed one and it is three pounds more that the used Carlisles of the same size. Maybe heavier construction, maybe the tread was worn to the tune of most of that.

As least I didn't have to bother with one of my torque wrenches.
Interesting you would say that about the new tire weight . I also noticed that with the new Maxxis . I picked them up and then took them to our Costco to install. Lots more rubber or something in those tires . Our Carlisles didn't have as much use as yours and they were definetly lighter in weight . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote