Lurching trailer brakes grabbing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Pull off the brake drums and have a look see. If there full off grease or water Problem solved .. If there dry then it's electrical Brakes are brakes ..
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #22

Trailer: ISO Escape 19
More details

The problem only occurs in wet road conditions. It's been dry for a few days and no problems tonight as I went down to the weigh scale.

My weights were
1380 Kg Front axle
1370 Kg Rear Axle
1420 Kg Trailer axles
4170 Kg Total

Truck only
1460 Kg Front axle
1100 Kg Rear axle
2560 Kg Total

1610 Kg Trailer weight 4170-2560
190 Kg Tongue weight (1380+1370)-2560

Tongue weight is 11.8 % which is OK IMHO.

I called Dexter axles and the sent me a claim form I filled that out and they came back with a claim number.

I spoke to Reace at Escape he had a few helpful suggestions.
- Adjust the brakes
- Use a WDH (Currently I do not)
- Try another tow vehicle
- Maybe an issue with ford integrated brake controller?
- Dexter has had some issues but not this particular problem.

I will try all of these actionable items and see what comes of it.

I am taking it to a trailer shop tomorrow and they will perform a thorough axle and brake inspection.

A little frustrating? You bet.

T.N
Doug ......
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #23

When it happens

It happens when I am just driving along cruise control set and all of a sudden it feels like the brakes are applied and the trailer lurches back of course pulling the truck and creating some hitch noise.

The frequency of this occurring is varied sometimes a 2-3 times within a few seconds sometimes 5-10 minutes between events. Sometimes associated with a bump in the road sometimes on a flat even pavement.

Someone had suggested removing all power to the brakes I thought to do that as well and will give that a shot next time there is wet road conditions, I'll find stretch of road where it is safe to do so and remove the electrical connection from the truck and disconnect the trailer battery and see if that eliminates the problem.

T.N
Doug ......
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: True North... Does this happen to be related to the "Cruise control"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape
Faulty brake light switch? Does light on brake controller activate when this happens?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm probably the least knowledgeable on Ford products, but when you described brakes intermittently applied and only happening in wet conditions it made me wonder. Is there some type of automated brake assist system on the Pickup that is detecting the wet road and intermittently firing the brakes? A lot of these systems have been in development and deployed on vehicles for some time. What you are describing sure sounds like how they work by firing commands that pump the brakes at intervals.
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe a Ford service center might provide some answers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
It happens when I am just driving along cruise control set and all of a sudden it feels like the brakes are applied and the trailer lurches back of course pulling the truck and creating some hitch noise.

The frequency of this occurring is varied sometimes a 2-3 times within a few seconds sometimes 5-10 minutes between events. Sometimes associated with a bump in the road sometimes on a flat even pavement.

Someone had suggested removing all power to the brakes I thought to do that as well and will give that a shot next time there is wet road conditions, I'll find stretch of road where it is safe to do so and remove the electrical connection from the truck and disconnect the trailer battery and see if that eliminates the problem.

T.N
Doug ......
I think I would start checking wire bundles the tug to trailer connection first truck running in park hook in and then tap the connector you should be able to hear if the brakes activate small clicking noises if it is loose. If not there then check the wiring bundles behind the tug connector for chaffing back to the splice panel on the trailer. Chaffed wires or loose wires can cause intermittent issues of all types . Check the wiring at the wheel housings also. If you can not find anything amiss do you know anyone who could tow the trailer for you ? Hook it up to the other vehicle take it for a ride bumpy roads etc if there is no issue then well it is the tugs brakes system or the tug wiring. If there is an issue you know it is in the trailer work from there.

Lol Can tell you about a plane that took our instruments guys 3 months to figure out why on auto pilot at altitude it would do uncommanded rolls to the right.. Yep chaffed wire in the middle of the fuselage when cold grounded to a clamp bolt and sent a pulse to the auto pilot and away it went.
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #28

Another trouple shooting step

Today is a blue sky, dry day, I run the Trailer it in to Custom Axle and Trailer in Edmonton of course no issues on the way in or home for that matter.

Jack at Custom is awesome we go through a number of tests with the diagnostic tester he has hooked to the truck connector and one thing that is odd is the brake intensity light starts out low and then gets brighter, he finds this unusual.

We crawl under the trailer and his comment is that the trailer is well built and well wired you cannot do it any better. His opinion of the Dexter axles is also very high.

We pull the lid of the wiring junction box and it looks well done no visible pinch points, eyes properly crimped, no frayed wiring. Good job Escape.

His guess is maybe the truck has a problem, he doesn't think it is the trailer problem, but suggests a different tow vehicle when the problem is occuring. I should also try pulling another trailer in the rain. My utility trailer has electric brakes that's a good idea why didn't I think of that?

His opinion is I don't need a WDH.

We didn't pull the wheels and drums off, I'll do that at home and check adjustments.

So now I am awaiting the next good downpour to troubleshoot some more.

Jack at Custom was great he spent over an hour with me answering questions and crawling under the trailer with me, and in the end took 20 bucks, so he could buy the crew donuts, that's personable service!

T.N
Doug ......
Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm probably the least knowledgeable on Ford products, but when you described brakes intermittently applied and only happening in wet conditions it made me wonder. Is there some type of automated brake assist system on the Pickup that is detecting the wet road and intermittently firing the brakes? A lot of these systems have been in development and deployed on vehicles for some time. What you are describing sure sounds like how they work by firing commands that pump the brakes at intervals.
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe a Ford service center might provide some answers.
I know that my truck has traction and skid control that applies the brakes when driving on wet / slippery roads to maintain vehicle stability . One would believe that Ford would have made allowances in their integrated brake controller program to compensate for this BUT?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The brakes are being applied. A WDH won't change that, so I wouldn't consider adding a WDH to fix the brake problem. And the axle loads suggest that the truck is very nicely balanced now, without messing it up with a WDH.

I would be surprised if Ford designed the stability control system to apply the trailer brakes, because they have no control over how owners will set up trailer brakes and so they cannot predict how the trailer will respond. For confirmation... does the problem occur only when the truck's stability control warning light flashes on the dash? That's the indication to the driver that the system is taking action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Jack at Custom is awesome we go through a number of tests with the diagnostic tester he has hooked to the truck connector and one thing that is odd is the brake intensity light starts out low and then gets brighter, he finds this unusual.
I find that a little bit alarming , since it doesn't make sense and with just a tester connected it can't be a trailer issue. I would put a voltmeter on it and see a little more precisely what is happening, since it should just flick to the truck's system voltage and stay there, as with any stop (brake) lamp... but who know what someone at Ford may have done (assuming this is factory trailer wiring).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape
True North, any update on the lurching trailer brakes?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote