Mahindra - Will it be the new best 5.0 tow vehicle? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Mahindra - Will it be the new best 5.0 tow vehicle?

.torque on the rav is way to high ( like most other gaz engine ) and the transmision is always up and down ( 5 to 4 and vice versa ).

I was advised with my Ford Explorer and I believe it is the same with the RAV that one should not tow in overdrive ( 5 ). I did in the Ford and nearly blew out my torque converter towing a tent trailer. So, unless I'm on the dead flat I'm never in top gear ( which means the vehicle isn't shifting back and forth as you describe ).

baglo
Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
A problem: The Mahindra 2 dr, 4wd has a GVW limit of 6,945 lb. It weighs 4,400 lb and the Escape 5.0 weighs 2,620 lb for a combined GVW of 7,020.
I guess I do not understand this. Wikipedia defines "gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight."

The key words to me are "tongue weight." I assumed that even a fifth wheel would have a "tongue weight" (or the fifth wheel equivalent) that is a fraction of the total weight of the RV. If you have to include the total weight of the trailer, how can it have a towing capacity of 5000 pounds?
I was wrong in my interpretation of the GVW limit. As you said, it includes the tongue weight (480 lb for the 5.0)...not the actual weight of the trailer. Apparently the load is within the capacity of the vehicle. I stand (sit) corrected

Dave
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
The Mahindra 2 dr, 4wd has a GVW limit of 6,945 lb. It weighs 4,400 lb and the Escape 5.0 weighs 2,620 lb for a combined GVW of 7,020.
Note that Dave is quoting dry weights, so it is even worse than that in real life. If the GVW is 7000 lb, and the truck weighs 4400 lb, and you and your wife combined weigh 300 lb and you are carrying 30 lb of fuel, and your hitch weighs 40 lb, and you have nothing else in the truck, that only leaves 2230 lb. I think that you would be hardpressed to haul a 15' Escape loaded for more than a weekend and keep within GVW limits.
This is not correct for GVWR, what you are stating here applies to the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). These are two completely different beasts. You will find that GCWR rating is higher then the GVWR. The GVWR is the manufactures suggested weight limit based of a bunch of safety factors. The GCWR will still be lower then the GVWR plus trailer weight, but again, this is safety coming into play. My truck has a GVWR of about 6500 pounds plus a tow capacity of 9500 pounds. If my truck’s GVW was maxed out while towing 9500 pounds, I would be in big trouble if I had to do an emergency maneuver on the highway.
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #24

Right. My mistake.

But where does it say the towing capacity for this vehicle is 5000 lb? All I see on the spec sheet is it can tow braked and unbraked trailers. In SUVs, 5000 lb is the realm of the largest vehicles. The three-litre gasoline V6 SUVs are typically rated for 3500 lb.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape17

gnorthern...

I contact Mahindra last couples of months...and there no plan yet in near futur to sale in Canada......BUT they are sending information to Transport Canada for who want to import over the boarder !!!!......that what they reply to me

gbaglo....

I know on my owner book....they mention to NOT TOW on fith gear......BUT i think is not normal to tow a long travel on fouth gear only. ( rev. way to hight ) IMO......and the funny thing is that......TOYOTA advertise on Rav4.....that the Rav have a INTELLIGENT transmission !!!!
Pat
patjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Right. My mistake.

But where does it say the towing capacity for this vehicle is 5000 lb? All I see on the spec sheet is it can tow braked and unbraked trailers. In SUVs, 5000 lb is the realm of the largest vehicles. The three-litre gasoline V6 SUVs are typically rated for 3500 lb.
Hi Ron, it was on one of the sites that Donna had: http://www.dfwmahindra.com/ "DFW Mahindra Trucks SUV Dealership Arlington Dallas Ft. Worth 4x4 Texas Home Page"
It must be because it's diesel.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #27

For those who want to follow more news about Mahindra......http://mahindraplanet.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #28

I know on my owner book....they mention to NOT TOW on fith gear......BUT i think is not normal to tow a long travel on fouth gear only. ( rev. way to hight ) IMO......and the funny thing is that......TOYOTA advertise on Rav4.....that the Rav have a INTELLIGENT transmission !!!!
Pat
[/quote]

Whatever. It's your wallet.

baglo
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #29

Hi, folks -- I've got to weigh in on this question of what range to tow in.

Our vehicle is a Dodge Grand Caravan, 4.0 liter, 251 hp, 6 speed transmission with towing package. We tow a 17A.

If we tow in Drive, this vehicle hunts back and forth between 5th and 6th continually even on a freeway like the Trans-Canada, or US I-5 unless the road is billiard-table flat. Every time there's a slight upgrade, it downshifts, then upshifts to 6 when we get to half a mile of level or mild downgrade.

This is not good for the transmission. I dug into the fine print of the Owners' Manual, and find it specifies to tow in D-5, saying that straight Drive is actually an overdrive actually meant for level roads and light loads. Sure, the rpm go up -- typically the difference between 1350 rpm and 1900 -- but the car is more responsive and feels happier. And I know from experience working in service shops decades ago that you will do a lot more damage to an engine (particularly the connecting rod bearings) and transmission by running it at marginally-low rpm for the load than you will by letting it rev. Modern engines, whether built in North America or offshore, are designed to rev. In our case, running it all day at 1900- 2000 rpm (with bursts of 3500 to overtake, or 4500 on a grade) will not hurt it as long as the oil is clean and it stays at a normal operating temperature.

And we find there's negligible impact on fuel consumption. When it's lugging and shifting back and forth, the engine management system is overworked by constantly varying loads and airflows, it has to run hotter, and there's too much low-speed torque put on the various shafts and clutches in the transmission -- not to mention the transmission wear occasioned by frequent shifts. The transmission overheats because the torque converter can't get spinning fast enough to lock up at that particular load, and heat is the enemy of transmission life.

The result is that we now never tow in overdrive (Drive-6). The car is happier, and so are we. By the way, I looked in the owner's manual for our older car, with a four-speed automatic, and it says the same thing -- don't tow in Drive-4, which is overdrive. Use Drive-3.

And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #30

O.K guys.....

I think we had so much to tell that we could hit 10 pages......
Back to Mahindra truck.....My choice would be the Scorpio that I see live in Bonaire (Caribbean islands). This truck look well made and they are looking great too (IMO). I like the size and you have lot of storing space.
The only thing that i was uncertain is .....how could they pass the california emission? I not found nothing about the catalytic system, and even on the motor emission itself....I bet they work on it right now. Sound like German could help on this......to be continued

Pat

Note...Glen, I like you and i bring you some nice beer for the gathering
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...The one thing you can not tell about, off screen, is the smell!!! The soot staining your nice white RV. and the lung disease caused by a known carcinogen...DIESEL PARTICULATE!!!
My dream retirement is to camp out in the FRESH Air!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #32

Beer? Now we're on topic.
Did you know that antibiotics interfere with your taste buds? I haven't enjoyed a beer in almost a month, but I'm out of pills and looking forward to an I.P.A. ( and that's as close as I can get to the original topic - Mahindra ).

baglo
Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
The one thing you can not tell about, off screen, is the smell!!! The soot staining your nice white RV. and the lung disease caused by a known carcinogen...DIESEL PARTICULATE!!!
My understanding is that German engineering has made that a thing of the past, though maybe they knew how to do that all along and were just prompted by much tougher emission standards starting this year.

Also diesels emit less CO2. For an example of a paper of the subject:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/es034928d
gnorthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Yes, diesels these days are way better then what they were 20+ years ago. In Europe, there are many diesel powered cars, many of these engines in the same vehicles we have here, we just can't get the diesel option. If I could get the same vehicle with a smaller, but more powerful diesel engine, I would do so in a heartbeat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #35

Look of the spec of the European Rav4.......2 DIESEL ENGINES OFFERS...

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/ne...av4/index.aspx

I'm jealous since a long time.......
Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Nissan has had a great little 2.2 liter diesel engine for years now, available in Europe and Australia, but not here. In Canada we are forced to follow the lead of the US market, and the vehicles demanded there. There is still a prevalent attitude that big is better, even for your average commuter. While this type vehicle has its place, we do tend to drive bigger and more powerful vehicles then we really need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

If Toyota would bring out the new 4Runner as Diesel, I would get out and buy it and sell my current one asap! In Germany most cars are diesels, and the sky is not black. Black clouds are history! You will find this still in big trucks and older cars, but not in the newer ones. Back in Germany I used to drive a 1993 Volkswagen T4 van in diesel, and even that thing was beyond the black cloud era. The exhaust is not black, it looks no different than that from the gas driven cars.