Mahindra - Will it be the new best 5.0 tow vehicle? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #1

Mahindra - Will it be the new best 5.0 tow vehicle?

I have been interested in purchasing a small diesel pickup truck to replace my 1994 Chevy S10, and it may finally happen. After over a year of talk Mahindra has finally announced that it will be releasing two such trucks, the TR20 and TR40, in March and selling the trucks in April.

For information on the vehicles, see http://www.mahindrana.com/

What are your thoughts? Obviously I am talking conceptually since it only exists on paper.

gnorthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Mahindra - Will it be the new best 5.0 tow vehicle?

Hi: gnorthern... I don't think the 4dr. will be a 5.0 tug. It looks to be in the same design as the Honda Ridgeline Ford Sportrac etc. The rear axle is located so far forward and close to the cab,that even with a Husky EZ Roller Slider hitch you would have no turning radius. With our shortbox fullsize GMC there's only 4" of clearance at the step bumper and the leading edge of the trailer. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. the 2dr. truck maybe
Attached Thumbnails
hooked on you.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

There is a ton of interest in fuel-based vehicle improvements. I see this vehicle is claiming 30mpg. I hope when I finally make my purchase of new tug and tow, I'll be able to buy a vehicle that will get high fuel milage. That said, Mahindra is going to be a new player in the U.S. I'd be concerned about getting work done on the vehicle... and we all know it will need it, at least occasionally. The last thing I would want to happen is to find my travels restricted because I'd fear getting to an area of the country where the vehicle can't be serviced. Sure, I could always take it to a no-name-brand shop, but would that invalidate the warranty?

Lots of questions still to be answered about not only this particular vehicle, but Mahindra in general. Buying a motorized vehicle can be the second or third largest asset owned. I'm not willing to be a test case for dependability. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
The rear axle is located so far forward and close to the cab,that even with a Husky EZ Roller Slider hitch you would have no turning radius.... p.s. the 2dr. truck maybe
And that is why I asked on this forum. I have a basic two door right now, but have been considering a 4 door for my next vehicle. Sounds like a four door is out of the question.

Do you think the four door would work with a basic trailer?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
That said, Mahindra is going to be a new player in the U.S. I'd be concerned about getting work done on the vehicle
I have been burned several times before by being an early adapter in electronics (DIVX and HD-DVD), so I will not be rushing out to purchase this vehicle. I signed up to test drive a new release. If I like it, I'll watch it for a while and then decide (on the two door).

I feel dense right now because I did not think of this until I read your post, but service in Canada will be important. Nothing is final until it happens but except for Montana, the US looks well covered with dealers. My bet is that Montana will get a dealer to sign up if they get a lot of buzz.

I am not concerned about quality since Mahindra has been making vehicles for a long time and are proven. I also know that Indian corporate culture is as or more demanding of quality as the Japanese.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

Gonorthern, I found an article about the Mahindra trucks:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...el-pik-up.html
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthern
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
The rear axle is located so far forward and close to the cab,that even with a Husky EZ Roller Slider hitch you would have no turning radius.... p.s. the 2dr. truck maybe
And that is why I asked on this forum. I have a basic two door right now, but have been considering a 4 door for my next vehicle. Sounds like a four door is out of the question.

Do you think the four door would work with a basic trailer?
Hi: gnorthern... If I was retired and going to consolidate into one vehicle I would choose the Nissan Frontier V6 4dr. long box crew/king cab. The only fly in that ointment is that pickup has a wide turning radius w/without either a straight trailer or a 5.0 5th. wheel...but then so does my GMC!!!Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Here's another site: http://www.dfwmahindra.com/ "DFW Mahindra Trucks SUV Dealership Arlington Dallas Ft. Worth 4x4 Texas Home Page"

Interesting note: Mahindra Plans to Assemble Light Pickups at Ohio Plant - The Wall Street Journal
February 2008

and here's a blog if you would like to read even more:
http://mahindratruckblog.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Escape Artist,

Since my employer is always under fire for it's land management practices by environmental groups, I no longer call myself an environmentalist. But I have been saying since the early 80's I would never buy an RV unless I could at least 30 mpg, thinking I would never buy one.. About three years ago I got sold on the idea of purchasing an RV. I crawled out of a tent in about 18-20 degree weather, had coffee in a trailer next to me, and I was hooked. I decided the majority of my travels when I retire would not involve a tent.

Though I still question if I can, I really want to stick to what I have been saying.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #10

Hi: gnorthern... I have always been concious of gas mileage. That's why we tow a fiberglass trailer. I felt our Boler was a tent on wheels and our 5.0 is just a bigger tent!!! Alf
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Man, that's easy to rationalize. Most of the time your RV isn't going anywhere. So all you have to do is factor that into your overall gas consumption...

baglo
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #12

A problem:

The Mahindra 2 dr, 4wd has a GVW limit of 6,945 lb.
It weighs 4,400 lb and the Escape 5.0 weighs 2,620 lb for a combined GVW of 7,020.

The 2wd weighs less, allowing you to stay within the maximum, but do you want to be pushing the outside of the envelope?

The 4 door weighs even more.

There's small, and there's too small. I think this fits in the latter category.

Dave
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
The Mahindra 2 dr, 4wd has a GVW limit of 6,945 lb. It weighs 4,400 lb and the Escape 5.0 weighs 2,620 lb for a combined GVW of 7,020.
Note that Dave is quoting dry weights, so it is even worse than that in real life. If the GVW is 7000 lb, and the truck weighs 4400 lb, and you and your wife combined weigh 300 lb and you are carrying 30 lb of fuel, and your hitch weighs 40 lb, and you have nothing else in the truck, that only leaves 2230 lb. I think that you would be hardpressed to haul a 15' Escape loaded for more than a weekend and keep within GVW limits.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I'd say there is a reason the gas milage is that good. It's just underpowered for the job. I'm with my good buddy Alf, I think even with the 2dr, the rear axle will be too far forward, and the turning radius will be a real problem.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
A problem: The Mahindra 2 dr, 4wd has a GVW limit of 6,945 lb. It weighs 4,400 lb and the Escape 5.0 weighs 2,620 lb for a combined GVW of 7,020.
I guess I do not understand this. Wikipedia defines "gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight."

The key words to me are "tongue weight." I assumed that even a fifth wheel would have a "tongue weight" (or the fifth wheel equivalent) that is a fraction of the total weight of the RV. If you have to include the total weight of the trailer, how can it have a towing capacity of 5000 pounds?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

My 2002 Toyota 4Runner has a GVW of 5250 pounds (occupants, equipment, and cargo, but not trailer), curb weight of 4070, and allowed tow capacity of 5000 pounds... The Mahindra will be able to tow 5000 pounds easily and legally. There is another gross vehicle weight unit called different than GVW or GVWR, that describes the allowed weight INCLUDING trailer.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
I'd say there is a reason the gas milage is that good. It's just underpowered for the job. I'm with my good buddy Alf, I think even with the 2dr, the rear axle will be too far forward, and the turning radius will be a real problem.
I retract what I said, I missed that the towing weight was 5000#! Obviously enough to pull the 5.0.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape17

I had a VW diesel Wagen TDI and the max tow was rate at 1000 pound. I had tow my old SCAMP 13' full at ( 1600lbs ) with no problem at all ( no brake on the trailer ). We had 2 windsurfing board on top with a ski box. The torque of a DIESEL is at very low RPM. I tow the same equipment with a RAV4 V6 and no comparison.......torque on the rav is way to high ( like most other gaz engine ) and the transmision is always up and down ( 5 to 4 and vice versa ). I just can't wait to buy a truck like Mahindra with 280 lbs of torque at 1800 RPM.....30 miles gallons. and with 5000 pounds towing package........I'll buy one.

Pat
patjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #19

Hi: All... What I know as fact for our own rig: all tanks loaded and all gear for camping with both of us on board was a total weight of 8900 lbs. Gross combined vehicle weight rating as per GMC manual is 9500 lbs.
Does anyone know Jenny Craigs phone # Alf
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #20

patjul,

An earlier post here made me check out the plans for Canada and so far there are no plans. That is actually my number one hesitation about purchasing a Mahindra. I feel that if I purchase one and it breaks down in Canada, I'm screwed.