Motorcycle - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
My question has been answered and I can see what kind of ramp to shop for. It sounds like many of us with a long-term infection by the wanderlust bug have found relief with both motorcycles and Escape trailers.

Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My first m/c was a Honda 50 that I rode from Vancouver to San Francisco and back. Yup, maxed out at 32 mph, most of it on the shoulder before that was illegal.

Had lot's of bikes since. I've always used trailers with long easy grade ramps. Always had a fear of dropping the bike while using a ramp. Never happened but it was never a comfortable process for me.

Went for a long test ride on a 2016 Honda Goldwing 1800 a couple of weeks ago. I'm in love. Over 900 lbs. and it handled like a dream. Hard to reconcile that it costs as much as a 21 but what the heck, you can't take it with you.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
That takes me back. Husky, Bultaco, Ossa, Hercules, Penton, CZ? Trials tires, fiberglass tank, 5" of rear travel, non-leading front axle, primary kick start (find neutral), plus duct tape for a seat cover.

Now go read about it with Ed Hertfelder:

Hertfelder: Hobo Life

I remember back in Tulsa we used to say "if you only have 6 days to live, spend it riding on The John Zink Ranch. It'll seem like forever. Like riding on the moon."
Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Ditchrider: I am late to the party. I put my KLR650 in the back of a F-150 (6.5' bed). I currently tow a Trillium, but will be towing an Escape next spring!

I have a set of long and wide ramps from Weststeel (Winnipeg). With the 4x4 truck, I find the height to be a bit much to load by myself, and I am not willing to ride up. I have dropped the bike when on the ramp, and I much prefer to not be under it. I now look for a ditch, in order to lessen the height difference between the truck bed and the ground.

I prefer riding on isolated mountain roads, so I am largely responsible for my own fate (few people around to hit me). I carry a spot messenger on my body, so I can call in the cavalry if still conscious, and my body can be found, if not.

The nice thing about my mode of driving is that the sites with good mountain riding are often the best for book docking. If I go on a long trip with the bike and trailer, the bike rarely comes off the truck ... but if I go to a destination and stay for a while, it's worth offloading.

Happy riding / camping!
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlandFlyFisher View Post
Ditchrider: I am late to the party. I put my KLR650 in the back of a F-150 (6.5' bed). I currently tow a Trillium, but will be towing an Escape next spring!

I have a set of long and wide ramps from Weststeel (Winnipeg). With the 4x4 truck, I find the height to be a bit much to load by myself, and I am not willing to ride up. I have dropped the bike when on the ramp, and I much prefer to not be under it. I now look for a ditch, in order to lessen the height difference between the truck bed and the ground.

I prefer riding on isolated mountain roads, so I am largely responsible for my own fate (few people around to hit me). I carry a spot messenger on my body, so I can call in the cavalry if still conscious, and my body can be found, if not.

The nice thing about my mode of driving is that the sites with good mountain riding are often the best for book docking. If I go on a long trip with the bike and trailer, the bike rarely comes off the truck ... but if I go to a destination and stay for a while, it's worth offloading.

Happy riding / camping!
I do much the same, but now days I can ride right out of the house and be in the national forest in a mile. I too use Find Me Spot since I often ride alone (Device Name=Buzzards in the Sky.) It is pretty handy in that it spits out my location via findmespot's website (ala Google Maps) every 10 minutes. My plan is to take dirt bikes or ATVs in a separate trailer and tow vehicle for trips close to home and leave them at home for longer trips. Years ago we used to use a Malcolm Smith "Theft Proof" loading ramp (7' 2X6) and an inverted milk crate as a step into the pickup bed. We also had a spotter in the bed to help out.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Device Name=Buzzards in the Sky
Now that is hilarious but only if not needed!

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote