Need some hitch info/help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, is that I always think it is a good idea to check what the manufacturer recommends. For our 2008 Tacoma, Toyota recommended at WDH be used, so we went with one installed at ETI. I've tried it both with and without and very much prefer how the truck feels with the WDH installed. It seems to greatly reduce porpoising for our configuration.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
With the Trundra you not going to need anything heavy duty just something to smooth out the ride. Also for what it's worth the TRD is just different shocks, skid plates and tires and is just needed for off road or a different look. A non TRD will actually ride better on the highway. All 5.7 tundras come with the tow package standard and the 2016 has a 38 gal fuel tank and built in brake controller and the 2015 does not. The extra 12 gallons of fuel makes a big differance in tow range so you don't have to stress finding fuel or planning fuel stops.
Tom that is one fine looking truck ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You may enjoy this site's report on the 2017 4Runner redesign.

2017 Toyota 4Runner Redesign | Toyota References
Old 12-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My suggestion is tow without anything special and then decide.
I agree. There is no system which is simpler, lighter, or easier to use than a simple ball on a plain mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Towing with a Sequoia (identical chassis to the Tundra) I know you may never need a WDH.
The Tundra and Sequoia are the same until some point ahead of the rear suspension - from that point rearward they are quite different. The early Sequoia had a coil-and-link suspension (but still a beam axle), while the later Sequoia has an independent rear suspension. The Tundra has a conventional leaf springs and beam axle system.

Since a Tundra has longer wheelbase than a Sequoia, and the Tundra's more primitive suspension is still quite effective for the purpose, I agree that if a Sequoia doesn't need a WDH then a Tundra (carrying the same cargo and towing the same trailer) shouldn't need WDH either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
You may recall the advice to include items in your build sheet that cannot be added later, choices like wiring, outlets, insulation etc. Apply that advice here.
I think this is a valid point and great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Does the WDH bring the hitch closer to the truck than if you didn't have one?
No, the other way around - the WDH forces the trailer further back, which is why the tailgate may clear the jack with WDH but not with a typical non-WDH ball mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, is the WDH part added to a regular hitch? Or is it a built-in component of the hitch? In other words, do I need to be looking for hitches that don't have a WDH already on it?
"Hitch" is a confusing term, because it used to describe varying portions the hitching system, which normally includes
  • receiver (frame on tow vehicle, with square socket in it)
  • either
    • without WDH: ball mount to go into receiver socket, with hole for ball, or
    • with WDH: head to go into receiver socket, with hole for ball and sockets for springs, plus springs, chains and brackets
  • ball
  • coupler (part on trailer which latches onto ball)
A WDH head is quite long, so it places the ball (and thus the trailer) further from the tow vehicle's bumper than a typical plain ball mount... but there are longer ball mounts available if you just want the length and not the weight-distribution (WD) feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I tried replacing the standard ball/receiver bar with a longer one. That gave my tailgate more clearance but for some reason I did not like the towing "feel" of it. Went back to the shorter connection.
That makes sense. The longer ball mount gives the trailer more leverage to affect the tow vehicle, and is always worse in every way for vehicle dynamics.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Yes, entertaining.

Wild speculation about upcoming models is often good for a laugh, either for the non-English or for the nonsense. I like this thoroughly tongue-in-cheek comment about the next 4Runner:
Quote:
We already know the 6th gen will get a stripper pole, choice of diesel or V8, and a solid front axle.
Perfect: Escape 21' and Toyota 4Runner - both with stripper poles!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
[QUOTE=Brian B-P;121519]I agree. There is no system which is simpler, lighter, or easier to use than a simple ball on a plain mount.

While I agree with you Brian, the shank/ball MyronL is using looks like my standard U-haul model I bought years ago when renting one of their trailers. The thing is- how do you adjust the attitude of the trailer? Nose up not good, nose down bad too.

[QUOTE] A WDH head is quite long, so it places the ball (and thus the trailer) further from the tow vehicle's bumper than a typical plain ball mount... but there are longer ball mounts available if you just want the length and not the weight-distribution (WD) feature.

My previous Pro Series used on our 17B fits this description, however my Andersen is probably shorter than the U-haul ball mount.

Quote:
That makes sense. The longer ball mount gives the trailer more leverage to affect the tow vehicle, and is always worse in every way for vehicle dynamics.
That would probably be the case if no bars/chains are being used, however WDH are designed as a unit with all components working together- right?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

No info there that I could understand. Lots of bad grammar though.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
No info there that I could understand. Lots of bad grammar though.
That "Toyota references" site certainly is interesting. The reviews are no doubt written by someone whose first language is not English, I was curious to see 2017 Toyota Space Canada model so started reading. Here is a quote of part, hardly understandable!

The entrance facet of 2017 Toyota Sienna is comprise of current day deliberate grille and the guard with sharp edges. The base of the guard is overhauled with the air utilization and mist lights on either side. Headlights are amazingly angled and somewhat full and forceful entrance seems vigorous.
unquote

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The thing is- how do you adjust the attitude of the trailer? Nose up not good, nose down bad too.
By selecting the right height of ball mount. If conditions change, I don't think most WDH owners adjust the system to compensate... and if they do they may be adjusting it to inappropriate settings.

The alternative is an adjustable-height ball mount, but they tend to be almost as long as WDH heads assemblies.

Quote:
My previous Pro Series used on our 17B fits this description, however my Andersen is probably shorter than the U-haul ball mount.
Then that particular U-Haul mount is unnecessarily long. I have a U-Haul ball mount (albeit in 1.25", not 2") and it is no longer than the other brands. I've looked at the Andersen No-Sway: it is a compact design and is not as long as many WDH systems, and is identical to Andersen's non-WD EZ Adjust Hitch HD, but longer than a common non-adjustable ball mount.

For a better selection of ball mounts, I would look to anyone other than U-Haul - they don't even make the products which they sell, and only carry a fraction of the available configurations.

Quote:
That would probably be the case if no bars/chains are being used, however WDH are designed as a unit with all components working together- right?
Sure, but the extra length to the ball makes the situation worse, and you are counting on the springs to compensate for that as well as to fix the inadequacy of the tow vehicle that caused you to choose a WDH in the first place. Sort of "one step backward, and two steps (hopefully) forward".

By the way, Andersen says it's fine to use the No-Sway without the chains and springs as a plain weight-carrying hitch - it is functionally the same as an EZ Hitch (although a bit longer due to the bulk of the cone housing).
Old 12-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
That "Toyota references" site certainly is interesting. The reviews are no doubt written by someone whose first language is not English, I was curious to see 2017 Toyota Space Canada model so started reading. Here is a quote of part, hardly understandable!

The entrance facet of 2017 Toyota Sienna is comprise of current day deliberate grille and the guard with sharp edges. The base of the guard is overhauled with the air utilization and mist lights on either side. Headlights are amazingly angled and somewhat full and forceful entrance seems vigorous.
unquote

Adrian
Lol. In this case, English is the "second language." No doubt written by a Japanese and if you cannot understand it, try looking at the Japanese version!

Actually, Canadians and Americans cannot even understand each other sometimes!
But the above is amusing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Read the disclaimer and try to figure out what the site is up to. They appear to claim that there is no guarantee you will make money.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Lol. In this case, English is the "second language." No doubt written by a Japanese and if you cannot understand it, try looking at the Japanese version!

Actually, Canadians and Americans cannot even understand each other sometimes!
But the above is amusing.
Now I understand! My wife is from Ontario. Scott

Scott, Lori (my Canadian Rose) and a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I must have at least 8 different height and length stingers in my garage as well as several adjustable hitch setups plus the Andersen.This is a result of 6 different trailers and 3 different tow vehicles over past 7 years. I find towing with BlackJack about 1" below level gives me the best experience towing. Trial and error......soon I may be able to open a hitch shop!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Aha! Well, at least the OP knows now that whether or not ETI installs one of their WDH the height of the ball is still going to be the most important thing. I too, have stopped using the Andersen for most trips and don't really miss it. One of the perks of a full-size; couldn't imagine not having one with the Highlander we traded for the Yukon.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
ball height for towing

With the 21' level front to back and unhitched, what is the distance from ground to top of the coupler? Trying to figure out if current stinger will work or if new one has to be purchased.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
With the 21' level front to back and unhitched, what is the distance from ground to top of the coupler? Trying to figure out if current stinger will work or if new one has to be purchased.
I find that this number changes, dependent upon what you carry in the tug as well as how the trailer is packed and if you have liquids in the tanks. I have had to switch stingers after hooking up and realizing BlackJack was too high or too low. Ideally an adjustable mount would be recommended.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find that this number changes, dependent upon what you carry in the tug as well as how the trailer is packed and if you have liquids in the tanks. I have had to switch stingers after hooking up and realizing BlackJack was too high or too low. Ideally an adjustable mount would be recommended.
When you use the term "stinger" are you referring to the ball mount ?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #38

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
"stinger"

Yes; that's what I was referring to. Typically, I have the same amount of "stuff" in truck bed and camper each trip and do not travel with tanks full. Height of coupler anyone? Thanks in advance.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Laura,
Seconding most of the opinions here that you shouldn't need a WDH with the new Tundra. You absolutely will love the power tongue jack choice. Not an option for me any longer. Heck, I even had a power tongue jack on my first Scamp 13, and never been without one since.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Still ignoring your question about the height of the hitch. The proper method to determine ball height is to connect the tow and trailer and then measure four corners of the trailer. The proper height is obtained when all four corners are equal, in other words level. The difficulty coming up with a number is the variables each combination will have. Beside the items mentioned there will also be sag on the rear of the tow, length of the stinger, weight of the WDH (if present) and loading of tow and vehicle.

My point is, the coupler height is irrelevant, what is desired is the height of the ball when the combination of tow and trailer are level. I would guess that on a level floor, disconnected from tow the coupler height is 19-21 inches.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote