New 17B tongue weight...?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Once you find that you keep getting pretty much the same result every time, you'll have a tendency to stop weighing.
There is a formula in the Sherline guide for weighing at the jack instead of the hitch.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The usual way to get a tongue weight at a truck scale is to take the difference between two situations:
  1. weigh the tow vehicle (both axles) with the trailer hitched to it (and any WD system not applied), then again after unhitching the trailer (and changing nothing else, including the occupants or cargo): the difference is the hitch weight; or
  2. weigh the entire trailer while unhitched (so the tongue jack is on the scale along with the trailer tires), then again with only the trailer tires on the scale ((and any WD system not applied): the difference is the hitch weight.
The first one has the advantage of not having to hitch and unhitch while on the scale, which is important if anyone else is waiting to use the scale.

Another method is to position the trailer so that only the tongue jack is on the scale, unhitch the trailer from the tug, and weigh the tongue directly. This will provide the weight at the jack, which is not quite the same as at the ball: since the distance from ball to jack is a few percent of the distance from ball to trailer axle, the weight measured at the jack will be a few percent too high. The method for making this correction given in the Sherline towing guide is not correct, but close enough.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Went to the public scale today and the tongue weight came in at 450lbs - all tanks empty, nothing but hoses and a few other light items in storage box. I filled the fresh water tank and that brought the tongue weight down to 410lbs. Can't see why it should be so high. The trailer weight came in at 3400lbs with water tanks empty and 3530 with the fresh water tank full. My TV max tongue weight is listed as 500lbs. Curious to see what Escape has to say.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The dry and empty tongue weight specification would be without propane, and it might even be without the propane tanks... but two full tanks would still only add less than 75 pounds to the tongue weight.

The base tongue weight specification would be without the front cargo box, because it is optional. I think the weight of this box was reported in the forum at some point, but I don't recall the value. It certainly wouldn't account for the entire difference between about 320 pounds (base + propane) and 450 pounds, but it is a contributor.

The weight of 3400 pounds is 1000 pounds over the base and dry weight spec of 2400 pounds. A bit of that is the hoses etc, but the rest is presumably options and perhaps propane. If the mass of the options (including front box) and propane is distributed around the trailer in the same proportions as the base trailer, 11% of that would be on the tongue, which would be 110 pounds... and propane plus the storage box would be most of that. 250 pounds base plus 110 pounds of options is 360 pounds... which is less than the observed tongue weight, but getting closer. I suppose the questions might be whether or not 1000 pounds of options (and propane) is what was expected, and if the distribution of this extra weight is reasonable.

The total weight of the trailer was presumably provided by Escape, after all of the option choices were made; does that match the observed total weight? I don't know if they provide a tongue weight estimate for the as-equipped trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #25

Trailer: None now
Brian, our 2017 19 is supposed to weigh 3255 Lbs with all added accessories and propane tanks filled, and water and heater tanks empty per Escape. When I tried to get a tongue weight using a 300 Lb scale with the ratio method I pegged the scale. I bought a Sherline scale and it had me at 620 Lbs. I then took every thing out of the trailer and front storage box and with the 2 propane tanks filled and the group 29 battery in the storage box it weighed 510 Lbs. I then had it weighed with portable scales while still empty. The result, the trailer weighs 3746 Lbs. The refrigerator side weighs 194 Lbs more than the other side. Tongue weight 486 Lbs so my Sherline 1000 Lb scale is a little off. This is with nothing in the trailer except the battery and propane and all water tanks empty. With a 5000 Lb capacity I still can carry 1200 Lbs of stuff including water. I plan on getting it weighed again loaded for a typical trip so we can figure how much bicycles on the rear lower the hitch weight after it's loaded and if we need to add water to the fresh water tank to further lower it. Our truck can handle 640 Lbs hitch weight and tow 6400 Lbs so we are still well within our cushion . But knowing this means I will have to be careful with the trucks replacement in the future.
I'm wondering if they changed something, maybe the fiberglass is being sprayed on thicker or
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #26

Trailer: None now
Since I know my Sherline is off I plan on multiplying its readings by .95 to get the real weight.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 19'
We use the weigh safe hitch too, for our 19 it usually reads a little over 400.. whatever we put in it doesn't seem to change much.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #28

I am considering a weight equalizer hitch.... wonder if the one I am interested in (allows backing up) can be installed with the tanks and storage box...

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37060ET.html
\
Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just get the "Equalizer" ETI sells. Bought mine from Etrailer after I shopped it online and they price matched. I will install it for you if you go camping at Morro Bay SP or Montana De Oro.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #30

Thanks! I do want to research for an equalizer hitch that allows backing up. Wonder if the one ETI offers does like the one I found above...
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #31

No problem backing up with my Pro Series from ETI.
I believe it is sway bars that are a problem and need to be disconnected for backing. My Pro Series WDH doesn't have them and I haven't felt the need.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #32

Does anyone know if the Pro Series ETI sells (and calls "Equalizer") is with the round bars or trunnion bars?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #33

Don't know what they sell now or call it, but in 2008, this is what I got as Pro Series ( which is the label ).
Attached Thumbnails
WDH bars.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #34

Ya- you have round bars. Etrailer told me that round bars are not as stiff as trunnion so that is what I bought last year- which was exactly the same wdh my pre-owned 17B came with.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes I had the pro series and I never had an issue with backing up
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
I am considering a weight equalizer hitch.... wonder if the one I am interested in (allows backing up) can be installed with the tanks and storage box...

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37060ET.html
\
I installed this exact system on my 2010 19' with a 4Runner, and I love it. Made my ride much smoother and leveled out the 4Runner. It has built in 4-point sway control, and you don't have to remove anything when backing up. I suggest downloading the manual and reading how far back from the ball the brackets are to be installed to see if it would work on your 17.

The Equalizer is a bit hard to install, mainly because you need some odd size wrenches and large torque wrench. But once installed it's pretty easy to hook-up.

The same company also makes the Fastway E2, which is similar, but uses a different head unit (or stinger). It has 2-point sway control. Escape offers this one and most people seem to like it. It also weighs a little less, which is nice.

Oddly, the "Equalizer" offered by Escape isn't really Equal-i-zer brand, like your above link. Unfortunately some people use the term Equalizer for all WDH, but really the one in your link with 4-point sway control is the only Equal-i-zer.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote