New 19 tongue weight - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19
New 19 tongue weight

Hello! Wondering if anyone has a new design (2017) 19 who has measured loaded tongue weight? Considering one of these if I can't find a "classic" pre-owned 19. But, admittedly limited online info suggests the new design is substantially heavier especially on the tongue. I cannot change TV so am concerned about this. Any real world Info most appreciated!

CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Hello! Wondering if anyone has a new design (2017) 19 who has measured loaded tongue weight? Considering one of these if I can't find a "classic" pre-owned 19. But, admittedly limited online info suggests the new design is substantially heavier especially on the tongue. I cannot change TV so am concerned about this. Any real world Info most appreciated!
we have a weight safe hitch and it usually reads a little above 400lb

caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 - Salish "See"
Quote:
If you have the Tow Package on your Highlander with the 5,000# tow capacity, you are fine. There are folks on this forum towing 21 Escapes with late model Highlanders that swear by them.
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
we have a weight safe hitch and it usually reads a little above 400lb
Thanks, that is great to know! Is that with typical traveling load in the trailer? Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
My 2017 19' tongue weight is right at 500 pounds, as measured with a new Sherline 2000# tongue weight scale on a level surface. I just received the trailer last week and have not started loading it yet. There is no water in the fresh water tank, other than what Escape may have left in it for testing, so when I add water, I suspect the tongue weight could decrease. My unit has two 6 volt batteries in the front storage box, the propane tanks are filled and I have the standard dinette configuration.

It towed fine without a WDH but I had ordered one just in case and as it turns out, it feels more solid and stable towing it with the WDH, so I plan to use that on any longer trips. WDH is an Equalizer 4 point system that allows me to back up without removing the bars. Pretty happy with it but it does make a little racket when turning corners and I do grunt a bit hefting the head and shank onto the truck.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, that is great to know! Is that with typical traveling load in the trailer? Thanks again.
I would say yes... it was like that when we picked up the trailer and on the recent two trips.. the last two trips we have most of our camping gears on.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Thanks, that's very useful information. Also, a bit of what I am concerned about. My TV max is 500# tongue weight so there would be little to no safety margin. Water in tank would reduce tongue weight a bit but loading the trailer with typical gear will likely at least make up for that. Something to ponder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
My 2017 19' tongue weight is right at 500 pounds, as measured with a new Sherline 2000# tongue weight scale on a level surface. I just received the trailer last week and have not started loading it yet. There is no water in the fresh water tank, other than what Escape may have left in it for testing, so when I add water, I suspect the tongue weight could decrease. My unit has two 6 volt batteries in the front storage box, the propane tanks are filled and I have the standard dinette configuration.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Thanks! Looks like there is some variation trailer to trailer which is to be expected given differing optioning.

Quote:
I would say yes... it was like that when we picked up the trailer and on the recent two trips.. the last two trips we have most of our camping gears on.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks! Looks like there is some variation trailer to trailer which is to be expected given differing optioning.
We have the bottom insulation and extra insulation package which I assumed would add significant weight. I didn't notice much change after filling the water tank (it was 1/3 coming out of factory), the camping gears in the trailer, which mostly ended up in the rear storage area and in kitchen under sink. Granted the weigh safe hitch only has one notch between 400 and 500lb so the best I can tell is how close it is to the 400 or to the 500 line..
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Thanks for the additional info! Between 400 and 500 would work so that is good to know.

Quote:
We have the bottom insulation and extra insulation package which I assumed would add significant weight. I didn't notice much change after filling the water tank (it was 1/3 coming out of factory), the camping gears in the trailer, which mostly ended up in the rear storage area and in kitchen under sink. Granted the weigh safe hitch only has one notch between 400 and 500lb so the best I can tell is how close it is to the 400 or to the 500 line..