New 19 tongue weight - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
New 19 tongue weight

Hello! Wondering if anyone has a new design (2017) 19 who has measured loaded tongue weight? Considering one of these if I can't find a "classic" pre-owned 19. But, admittedly limited online info suggests the new design is substantially heavier especially on the tongue. I cannot change TV so am concerned about this. Any real world Info most appreciated!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Hello! Wondering if anyone has a new design (2017) 19 who has measured loaded tongue weight? Considering one of these if I can't find a "classic" pre-owned 19. But, admittedly limited online info suggests the new design is substantially heavier especially on the tongue. I cannot change TV so am concerned about this. Any real world Info most appreciated!
we have a weight safe hitch and it usually reads a little above 400lb
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you have the Tow Package on your Highlander with the 5,000# tow capacity, you are fine. There are folks on this forum towing 21’ Escapes with late model Highlanders that swear by them.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
we have a weight safe hitch and it usually reads a little above 400lb
Thanks, that is great to know! Is that with typical traveling load in the trailer? Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
My 2017 19' tongue weight is right at 500 pounds, as measured with a new Sherline 2000# tongue weight scale on a level surface. I just received the trailer last week and have not started loading it yet. There is no water in the fresh water tank, other than what Escape may have left in it for testing, so when I add water, I suspect the tongue weight could decrease. My unit has two 6 volt batteries in the front storage box, the propane tanks are filled and I have the standard dinette configuration.

It towed fine without a WDH but I had ordered one just in case and as it turns out, it feels more solid and stable towing it with the WDH, so I plan to use that on any longer trips. WDH is an Equalizer 4 point system that allows me to back up without removing the bars. Pretty happy with it but it does make a little racket when turning corners and I do grunt a bit hefting the head and shank onto the truck.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, that is great to know! Is that with typical traveling load in the trailer? Thanks again.
I would say yes... it was like that when we picked up the trailer and on the recent two trips.. the last two trips we have most of our camping gears on.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Thanks, that's very useful information. Also, a bit of what I am concerned about. My TV max is 500# tongue weight so there would be little to no safety margin. Water in tank would reduce tongue weight a bit but loading the trailer with typical gear will likely at least make up for that. Something to ponder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
My 2017 19' tongue weight is right at 500 pounds, as measured with a new Sherline 2000# tongue weight scale on a level surface. I just received the trailer last week and have not started loading it yet. There is no water in the fresh water tank, other than what Escape may have left in it for testing, so when I add water, I suspect the tongue weight could decrease. My unit has two 6 volt batteries in the front storage box, the propane tanks are filled and I have the standard dinette configuration.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Thanks! Looks like there is some variation trailer to trailer which is to be expected given differing optioning.

Quote:
I would say yes... it was like that when we picked up the trailer and on the recent two trips.. the last two trips we have most of our camping gears on.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks! Looks like there is some variation trailer to trailer which is to be expected given differing optioning.
We have the bottom insulation and extra insulation package which I assumed would add significant weight. I didn't notice much change after filling the water tank (it was 1/3 coming out of factory), the camping gears in the trailer, which mostly ended up in the rear storage area and in kitchen under sink. Granted the weigh safe hitch only has one notch between 400 and 500lb so the best I can tell is how close it is to the 400 or to the 500 line..
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Thanks for the additional info! Between 400 and 500 would work so that is good to know.

Quote:
We have the bottom insulation and extra insulation package which I assumed would add significant weight. I didn't notice much change after filling the water tank (it was 1/3 coming out of factory), the camping gears in the trailer, which mostly ended up in the rear storage area and in kitchen under sink. Granted the weigh safe hitch only has one notch between 400 and 500lb so the best I can tell is how close it is to the 400 or to the 500 line..
Old 10-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
... My TV max is 500# tongue weight so there would be little to no safety margin. .

Toyota rarely lists an actual maximum tongue weight, is yours listed that way in your manual? Neither our 2016 nor our new 2017 Highlander lists one - only recommended % of the trailer weight.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Toyota rarely lists an actual maximum tongue weight, is yours listed that way in your manual? Neither our 2016 nor our new 2017 Highlander lists one - only recommended % of the trailer weight.
It's the spec on the OEM Toyota hitch I have on my HL. You're correct, there isn't anything specific regardig the vehicle itself. Are you using the OEM hitch? Have you measured your loaded tongue weight? (Sorry for all the questions!!)

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See here for some numbers http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post218805
Old 10-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
It's the spec on the OEM Toyota hitch I have on my HL. You're correct, there isn't anything specific regardig the vehicle itself. Are you using the OEM hitch? Have you measured your loaded tongue weight? (Sorry for all the questions!!)

Thanks!
I have the Toyota OEM hitch - I've not seen it on there though either? I shoot for a tongue weight on our 21 of 410 - 450# and adjust it by how much freshwater we carry and load distribution. When I weighed our fully loaded for travel 21 we were at about 4100#. We never travel with full grey or black tanks, other than sometimes a few miles to a dump station, and usually travel with the fresh at 1/3. We tend to be more minimalists than most in what we take along.

Also keep in mind that more than 15% tongue weight in not recommended -our Escape has a sticker specifying 10-15% And I just checked, my dealer installed OEM Highlander hitch only has a sticker saying to consult the manual for maximum weights.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #15

Carl - one thing that I consider important to know is that the Highlander OEM receiver has the pin hole out near the end. With our E2 WDH the shaft of the E2's hitch did not extend all the way thru the receiver tube. I drilled a new hole in the E2 so that the shaft went in deeper and mades full contact all the way thru the tube. I was not comfortable putting the force of the WDH on only about 1/2 of the receiver tube's depth. Doing so probably voided any E2 warranty, but it added to my peace of mind.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

When I put the OEM hitch on the 2007 FJ it has a sticker with 500lb limit on it. I think that's the only place that will specify the actual number?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #17

My Highlander manual says:
• Tongue Weight
The gross trailer weight should be distributed so that the tongue weight is 9% to 11%.

So that would be up to #550 tongue weight for ours, and again, the only thing on my dealer installed OEM hitch is a sticker saying to consult the manual for weights. I am completely ok with being more than 20% under that max.

But as in all things, others may not.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #18

This is where I got the 500# number... http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...specs.download

Don't know if it's "official" but could not find a spec anywhere else.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #19

Thanks! Yes, I agree that it would be far better to have it set up as you have. The OEM hitch does have the pin hole very close to the end of the receiver.

Quote:
Carl - one thing that I consider important to know is that the Highlander OEM receiver has the pin hole out near the end. With our E2 WDH the shaft of the E2's hitch did not extend all the way thru the receiver tube. I drilled a new hole in the E2 so that the shaft went in deeper and mades full contact all the way thru the tube. I was not comfortable putting the force of the WDH on only about 1/2 of the receiver tube's depth. Doing so probably voided any E2 warranty, but it added to my peace of mind.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We just came back from a couple days of camping and decided stop at the commercial scale. I weighed the TV and trailer axles all connected first and then disconnected and weighed the TV again to get the tongue weight and trailer weight.

Trailer(total including tongue wt): 3344 lbs
Tongue: 330 lbs

This is probably nearly as light as possible for a 2017 19.

Trailer was dry (including the HW tank). Also only had 1 propane bottle on the front. It did however have a fair amount of food and beverages in it as well as our normal (fairly minimal) camping gear.

Our trailer is very lightly optioned, no AC, no factory solar, single battery and no storage box. It does however, have the extra insulation and thermal windows. Dry weight of trailer as per ETI was 3110 lbs but I didn't get a chance to confirm that before adding our gear.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote