New 5.0 with high lift axle or not - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
New 5.0 with high lift axle or not

Just talked with Melisa at Escape and I was told that if my pickup bed is under 56" I don't need the high life axle option and if it's over 56" I do need the option. Well I just measure my new 2019 Ram 4x4 an it measures exactly 56" to the top of the bed where I was told to measure it to. Now let me add this, I won't be going Boondocking other then maybe a Walmart parking lot, but I will purchase the option it it just works out better all the way around for both pulling and better all around use in general. As we all know the bed will set down somewhat when the trailer is loader, don't know if this inters into play or not. What is the correct way to go on this.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My box rails are 56" high, I never got the lift axle, I do a fair bit of boondocking, and have never had an issue.

BTW, stopping at Walmart most definitely is not boondocking. At least to date I have never seen the Walmart out in The Boondocks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
They assume your truck bed will settle 2" when you hitch up. The frame rails of the bunkhouse are 60" off the ground, so if your 56" bed rails settle to 54" that will allow 6" of clearance, which is generally considered enough.

I went through the same deliberations recently with our 2019 Ram, and because we have a significant hump at the top of our downward sloping driveway need all the clearance we can get so I went with the high lift axle. If you search the forum you'll find numerous threads discussing the pros and cons. The biggest advantage is more clearance between the truck bed rails and trailer on uneven terrain. One downside is that your front door will be 2-1/2" higher off the ground and some people find that first step a bit awkward. There's probably not a significant difference in how the trailer will tow, but if you anticipate most of your travel being on even paved roads then you probably don't need the high lift axle. In other threads it seems that the majority of people did not get it, and of those who did some felt it didn't really make a difference. On unpaved uneven bumpy roads it would be a plus.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
56” truck, standard height trailer. Tows and rides great.
Attached Thumbnails
11512D39-F2CF-4CD8-BE66-6B6F87C0B5BD.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
They assume your truck bed will settle 2" when you hitch up. The frame rails of the bunkhouse are 60" off the ground, so if your 56" bed rails settle to 54" that will allow 6" of clearance, which is generally considered enough.

I went through the same deliberations recently with our 2019 Ram, and because we have a significant hump at the top of our downward sloping driveway need all the clearance we can get so I went with the high lift axle. If you search the forum you'll find numerous threads discussing the pros and cons. The biggest advantage is more clearance between the truck bed rails and trailer on uneven terrain. One downside is that your front door will be 2-1/2" higher off the ground and some people find that first step a bit awkward. There's probably not a significant difference in how the trailer will tow, but if you anticipate most of your travel being on even paved roads then you probably don't need the high lift axle. In other threads it seems that the majority of people did not get it, and of those who did some felt it didn't really make a difference. On unpaved uneven bumpy roads it would be a plus.
Your tow vehicle is pretty much like mine, I think I'd rather have the high lift axle. Which hitch have you decided on and will you have it installed here in Texas, or in Canada. I like doing my homework on this stuff, it keeps me from having made the wrong decisions, which I can say I rarely do because of knowing what to do from asking questions and getting answers from this forum and posters like you. Thanks to everyone who helps.

trainman
Old 11-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't forget that if you go without the lift kit option it is a fairly easy thing to add later if you wish to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Your tow vehicle is pretty much like mine, I think I'd rather have the high lift axle. Which hitch have you decided on and will you have it installed here in Texas, or in Canada. I like doing my homework on this stuff, it keeps me from having made the wrong decisions, which I can say I rarely do because of knowing what to do from asking questions and getting answers from this forum and posters like you. Thanks to everyone who helps.

trainman
There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer on the hitch - the 5.0TA is so relatively light that any 5th wheel hitch will easily handle it. Many forum members use and really like the Andersen Ultimate - check it out if you're not already familiar with it. I haven't decided which hitch yet - they haven't yet come out with a bracket kit for mounting hitch rails in the 2019 Ram because it's so new, they should become available within the next couple of months. I'll probably get the hitch installed in Austin, but many people have had it done at Trademasters in Chilliwack and speak very highly of them.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #8

For no reason other then a personal preference and I like the design better, I would rather have the type that fits the factory pin. You can back up and slide into the hitch and latch up, rather then have to line up on a ball which requires being dead center, not that the pin type doesn't require being just about right-on. There is a reason why 5th wheels have this pin and not a ball type hitch, is it because it better, safer, cheaper, what's the reason over the ball type. I'm not going for less expensive, I want what's best and works the best. If weight is the problem then I have a Cherry-Picker which I can use to lift the hitch out of the bed if need be, so I don't see that weight is a problem. Which type do you use and why.

trainman
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
For no reason other then a personal preference and I like the design better, I would rather have the type that fits the factory pin. You can back up and slide into the hitch and latch up, rather then have to line up on a ball which requires being dead center, not that the pin type doesn't require being just about right-on. There is a reason why 5th wheels have this pin and not a ball type hitch, is it because it better, safer, cheaper, what's the reason over the ball type. I'm not going for less expensive, I want what's best and works the best. If weight is the problem then I have a Cherry-Picker which I can use to lift the hitch out of the bed if need be, so I don't see that weight is a problem. Which type do you use and why.

trainman
I used a standard Reese 5th wheel hitch for 15 years on our old truck and was happy with it except that it did not articulate side to side like most hitches do now, and in uneven campsites that made hitching/unhitching tough a few times. I have been looking at getting a new standard double articulating fifth wheel hitch - there are a number of different brands that all have comparable models.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I used a standard Reese 5th wheel hitch for 15 years on our old truck and was happy with it except that it did not articulate side to side like most hitches do now, and in uneven campsites that made hitching/unhitching tough a few times. I have been looking at getting a new standard double articulating fifth wheel hitch - there are a number of different brands that all have comparable models.
Thanks David, let us know what you pick for your hitch, it will interesting on which one you go with, I would like to know. I've been looking at all the hitches on etrailer, but I see they don't sell Anderson hitches.

trainman
Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

trainman
Weight had something to do with my decision to go with the Anderson rail mount. Not bothered by lifting it in and out more concerned about payload. The lightest conventional 5th wheel I looked at was 3 times the weight of the Anderson, and that’s the steel rail mount version. I actually think I have more room in the bed also for storage. When towing the hitch is very quiet, no creaking and groaning and clunking like I’ve heard from some conventional 5th hitches. As to actual hitching you don’t have to be perfectly aligned, there is a cone shaped thing that pulls the ball into the socket as long as you hit it. Never used a conventional 5th wheel and probably never will as I couldn’t be happier with the Anderson.
Attached Thumbnails
332D4924-180C-4F3E-A983-EFA659FF79A6.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
New 5.0 with high lift axle or not

We use a Reese 16K sliding conventional hitch, I like the fact that I just back up until I hear that clunk and know I’m hitched. Another bonus is its extra weight for winter driving (hate using 4 wheel drive unless needed).
But I must mention I’m not concerned about weight with my truck but if you are this is not the hitch for you it weights in at 147.78 lbs. It does pivot side to side and fore and aft which is great if your campsite is less then level. When I need to remove it I have a rope hoist that works great drop it onto a dolly and wheel it out of the way.

http://www.reeseprod.com/mobile/prod...cCgd0AWKJy%7Cl
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
We Picked up our 5.0 August 30 and had Hitchmasters install a Anderson ultimate hitch. We have a 2015 ford f-150 with 5.6 ft bed. and have had no problems with clearance between bed of truck and camper, also the receiver installed in bed weighs only about 35 lbs. Very easy to remove when not towing.
Bob and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Susie View Post
We Picked up our 5.0 August 30 and had Hitchmasters install a Anderson ultimate hitch. We have a 2015 ford f-150 with 5.6 ft bed. and have had no problems with clearance between bed of truck and camper, also the receiver installed in bed weighs only about 35 lbs. Very easy to remove when not towing.
Hi: Bob and Susie... Sounds great!!! We changed trucks this summer and now have a 2016 Ram EcoDiesel 5'7" bed. Used the same hitch from day one, but it weighs a lot more. Guess I need strength training!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I did not get the lift seems to be fine F150 short bed 4x4. I thought about it ETI said I didn't need it and i saw some others having issues with their stairs into the trailer due to the increased height. I also went with the Anderson seems easy to hitch to me but I've never owned a traditional 5th wheel hitch.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0
at 56" my 5.0 rides perfectly level with the lift, which is a good thing. I do a lot of boondocking and think it gives me a confidence on the rough roads.
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Just talked with Melisa at Escape and I was told that if my pickup bed is under 56" I don't need the high life axle option and if it's over 56" I do need the option. Well I just measure my new 2019 Ram 4x4 an it measures exactly 56" to the top of the bed where I was told to measure it to. Now let me add this, I won't be going Boondocking other then maybe a Walmart parking lot, but I will purchase the option it it just works out better all the way around for both pulling and better all around use in general. As we all know the bed will set down somewhat when the trailer is loader, don't know if this inters into play or not. What is the correct way to go on this.

trainman
I needed the extra space. As a general comment, I find that the Escape folk know what they are doing. That being said, if I did not have the issue with the bed height, I would still add the lifters IF the Escape folk say it would work. But that is me and relates to my needs.

I am 6'-4" and when I walk under the bed area to unplug, check the tanks, etc. I really appreciate those extra inches. In addition, I have done some under bed work recently to install tank heaters. I really appreciated the extra space between my nose and the bed of the trailer.

It all depends on your needs, your truck and where you are going. May people seem to be very happy without the lifters. Others have different needs.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote