New 7 pin plug in box area of truck for the 5th wheel hitch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The chains are only required if using the Andersen set up.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #22

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
5th wheel

How many use the regular 5th wheel set up ? or use that Anderson gooseneck or ball mount like Scamp ? It looks like that Anderson removable would be the ticket but how hard is it to hook up? or the ball that comes off the trailer and insert is in the bed of truck . It seems the 5th wheel could be tricky how high are the bed sides going over uneven terrain . So many questions
I like the idea of towing a smaller package 5.0ta vs. the 21 ft trailer even though both trailers are same size but having 4-5 ft over the bed of truck would be better and the maneuverability of the 5th wheel . If we buy a newer truck what size does it have to be Does Escape explain this to us ? Also the new
Escape with torsion axle does it matter ? So many questions to a new 5th wheel want to be . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Reese explained to me that the torsion and spring suspension are the same height and both adjustable with the torsion being somewhat smoother. The 5.0 TA is made for 1/2 ton trucks and he will adjust the trailer height according to the truck beds sides.
I like the Andersen as it saves about 100 lbs and easily removed, whereas the conventional is heavier and harder to handle, but the conventional is easier to hook up as the Andersen is like the ball on a receiver, you have to be close for it to connect.
I'd say you save about 3 feet overall.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't have any safety chains for Ten Forward... are they missing? And yes, I need a step stool to hookup or unhook. The bed sides are right below my shoulders! Previously all the in-the-bed installations for the plug I've seen were quite low in the bed. If I end up doing this, I'll use the "Jim Method"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Like Scuba55 alluded to, if using a gooseneck hitch with any type of 5th wheel adapter ,including the Anderson Ultimate and B&W Companion, in most jurisdictions you need to use chains. With any bolted in 5th wheel hitch you do not.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't have any safety chains for Ten Forward... are they missing?
No, because you don't have a ball hitch like Jim Bennett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Donna, you don't need safety chains unless you have a ball hitch. If you have the Reese 15K that ETI sells, chains are not required.
This is correct, because the Reese 15K - and every other hitch which works with the Escape 5.0/5.0TA as it comes from the factory - is a fifth-wheel or "pin and plate" hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... or any other conversion to a ball hitch. The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection is the only ball hitch that any Escape 5.0/5.0TA owner has tried in North America as far as I know, and probably the one which makes the most sense.

There has been some recent discussion of the Pullrite SuperLite, which is also a ball hitch and would need the chains. There are also many "gooseneck " converters which reach down to a common 2-5/16" ball at bed floor level - no one has done that on an Escape as far as I know, but if they did they would need chains. Seef has a ball hitch on his 5.0 in the Netherlands, but both the rules and the available equipment there are different, and his ball hitch is not like those sold here.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Like Scuba55 alluded to, if using a gooseneck hitch with any type of 5th wheel adapter ,including the Anderson Ultimate and B&W Companion, in most jurisdictions you need to use chains. With any bolted in 5th wheel hitch you do not.
The reason for safety chains with an Andersen Ultimate is the ball coupling between the Andersen hardware in the truck and the coupler on the trailer- that applies whether the Andersen's frame is anchored to the truck by a ball in the truck bed floor (the "gooseneck" version) or by "industry standard" rails.

I doubt that anyone would use, or be required to use, safety chains with a 5th wheel hitch just because it is anchored to the truck by the ball in the bed. Yes, that anchor connection could come apart, but there are lots of bits which could come apart. The safety chains are mostly to address the risk that an operator will hitch up and tow away without latching the coupler at all; this is a real risk with normal ball hitch because the trailer will stay in place until a big bump bounces the coupler off of the ball, but not a serious risk with a conventional fifth-wheel because if the jaw is not engaged the trailer pulls out of the hitch as soon as you try to drive away, so it's not a safety hazard on the highway. Even if safety chains are required due to the ball anchoring, those chains would only need to run from chain loops on the truck to the hitch frame, and would not need to be touched each time the trailer is hitched or unhitched.

I just realized today that the B&W Companion (a conventional fifth-wheel hitch) doesn't anchor to a ball in the truck bed - it anchors specifically to the B&W Turnover Ball under-bed mounting system structure, so no ball is involved. There is no reason for this hitch to require safety chains.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
For those of you needing (and not wanting to use) a stool to get into the bed of the truck, here is an alternative. I have one - and love it. Bestop TrekStep Truck Bed Step - Free Shipping
No fussing with a stool: just use your foot to lower and raise the step.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
For those of you needing (and not wanting to use) a stool to get into the bed of the truck, here is an alternative. I have one - and love it. Bestop TrekStep Truck Bed Step - Free Shipping
Too bad they don't make one that will fit RAM duel exhaust. I believe most RAMs have duel exhaust...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
That's neat! The problem is using it when hooked up to a 5er. Wonder if I could squeeze between the bed and loft? Hummmmm
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
While I can easily reach over the bed sides, I also plug in my cable with the tailgate open. You need 2 hands, one just to hold up the receptacle cover. Could just be me though. Still, the bed mount is worth having.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I had the 7 pin installed in my truck bed yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
I had the 7 pin installed in my truck bed yesterday.
That looks good. I opted to mount mine high, in case I wanted to stow things down low, but yours sure will be handy when the tailgate is open.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I am only 5'2" so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to reach too high without climbing into the truck bed, which I really hope I don't have to do too often! That was the last thing to get done besides loading up and all before taking off. Very exciting, I am really anxious to see
my new trailer!
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Very neat installation Sandy. What a great feeling checking that off your list and making final preparations for departure! Salute'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Regarding lengthening the 5.0 7 pin when mounting in truck bed

Stated previously in this thread
Quote:
I asked Trademasters and they said they install one in the truck bed routinely and lengthen the factory cord.
I have a couple questions for those 5.0 owners with an in the truck bed 7 pin connection.
1. Did you need to lengthen the 5.0's wiring?
2. If not how far forward in the bed could the 7 pin connection be mounted? Thanks, Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
mine is fine, plug just inside the tailgate.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
First, I would go with the 90 degree 7 pin connector as this gives you more options on where you want to mount as it requires less depth at the mounting point.

Normally you have around 7 feet from 7 pin connector to factory connector. Some have mounted above driver side wheel well and some as I did mount on driver side by the tail gate.
Attached Thumbnails
90 degree 7 Pin.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I have mine just rear of the wheel well and there is plenty of slack in wire from the Escape.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Thank you all, my bed is also way too high to reach in. With a step stool I'd probably end up on my head in the truck bed and THAT would be a predictament!

My hitch is going to be installed by Trademasters. So hopefully, they will know what my truck needs. That is why I decided to have it done there instead of ahead of time.
Trademasters, are those the guys in Chilliwack? Are they installing a unit from scratch into a new truck? If so, what unit are you installing and how much are they asking for the install? Also, How long does it take? Do you have to leave the vehicle or is it a sit and wait thing? Thanks
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #40

Hi marsman, just a heads up that Sandyb12's response was in 2016. I just restarted the thread with my question. (Looks like you and I are thinking on the same page). Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote