New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought the straight 6 and 8 diesel motors were more robust, like the big rigs.
I think you'll have trouble finding a straight-8 in any vehicle. The biggest highway trucks use straight-6 engines around 14 litres in displacement. The big rig engines are not robust because of their number of cylinder or their configuration; they are simply built for heavy-duty service, which can be done for any number of cylinders and any configuration.

Quote:
The V-4 and v-6 were made to fit the smaller space in the smaller trucks.
There are no V-4 engines in cars or trucks on the road. Yes, inline-4 and V-6 engines fit better in smaller vehicles than inline-6 engines, especially in transverse installations; however, inline-6 engines are coming back, and these pickups do not have transversely mounted engines. Many V6 engines exist to share production lines with V8 engines; as inline-4 engines become the most common format and V8 engines almost disappear, manufacturers have an incentive to share production lines between 4- and 6-cylinder engines, which leads to inline-6 designs.

Quote:
The one nice thing they mention in the article is a 10 speed auto...
Yes, the same 10-speed used by Ford, although not so necessary at GM as it was at Ford, because GM was already using a strong 8-speed (while Ford was still stuck at 6 speeds).

Quote:
... I assume most diesels have a more robust alternator and charging system thus more power available for the trailer.
Why - to charge up the big battery needed to crank a diesel? I don't think that's a big factor in charging systems any more, as other electrical demands are the real challenge. I'm sure the GM charging system is adequate, though, as they all are - the issues in any vehicle with supplying the trailer are the charging system's voltage management (designed to minimize fuel consumption) and wiring size.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Seems like with a composite bed you're left wondering if a 5th wheel hitch will hold. The buyer of our 19' Scamp girded his Toyota up with an extra steel plate, and it looked fine to us. But all things being equal....
Why? The structure for a fifth-wheel hitch just passes through the box floor, it shouldn't be supported by the box floor. You could probably use one of those hitches without a box at all, although it would look funny.

Of course, if proper frame brackets are not available for your truck, and you do not have them made, then the box structure becomes an issue.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The assumption that this new class of small diesel engines will turn 500,000 miles without a hitch , may not be based in reality.
YMMV
I agree that's unrealistic. I don't know why anyone would have that expectation.

3 litres isn't really small for a diesel (it's typical for pickups and commercial vehicles of Transit/Sprinter/Ducato size worldwide), but obviously these are not the same engines as found in the big rigs.

I guess we'll have a better idea of what to expect when more information comes out about this specific engine (the 3.0L inline-6 Duramax). It is probably based on something existing, whether that is some Isuzu 6-cyl, or VM Motori 6-cyl, or an extension of an inline-4.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For those concerned with who might be chasing whom, I'll note that in 2017 GM outsold Ford in the full-size pickup truck category, by 94,112 to 89,385.
Combining makes, yes. The Ford has been the best seller for a very long time.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Jeep will be back in 2018 with a diesel in the Grand Cherokee. They were “pulled” in 2017
Because of some um, well, shall we say EPA issues. I’ve got a br in law who has an older model and really likes it. So it is a future TV I’m looking at.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Combining makes, yes. The Ford has been the best seller for a very long time.
If the Chevy badge versus the GMC badge is important to you, this is relevant. In fact, the Silverado and Sierra are just different trim levels of the same truck... just as most Lincolns are just Fords with different badges and trim. A friend of mine bought a GMC Canyon, choosing it over the equivalent Chevrolet Colorado simply because at the time only the GMC-badged variant had full-time AWD. Certainly if I were buying a truck I wouldn't care which badge it had; similarly, the 1980 C10 Silverado we had was the same pile of junk that it would have been with a Sierra badge.

Ford tried the two-badge approach, too, but it turned out that not many people wanted to buy an F-150 with a "Lincoln" badge.

My point is just that about the same number of people choose a Ford pickup as choose a GM pickup, indicating that they are comparable and comparably successful products... even if some Ford fans like to call GM buyers "losers".
Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
My point is just that about the same number of people choose a Ford pickup as choose a GM pickup, indicating that they are comparable and comparably successful products... even if some Ford fans like to call GM buyers "losers".
I really don't know where you get that Brian. [emoji38]I'd never disparage someone or call them names based on their choice of truck, and I haven't seen that here to my recollection. I strongly prefer the Ford and that's no secret, but the Silverado and Sierra are fine trucks in their own right.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had one of those small 4 cyl diesels in my Jeep Liberty CRD, thought it was a v-4 but it was a straight 4, it was a nice set up up other than the expensive oil changes. No DEF was used.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I really don't know where you get that Brian. [emoji38]I'd never disparage someone or call them names based on their choice of truck, and I haven't seen that here to my recollection. I strongly prefer the Ford and that's no secret, but the Silverado and Sierra are fine trucks in their own right.
You may not have personally disparaged others for their choices but it is common practice on this forum.
Try not singing from the same hymnal as the choir.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
It doesn’t matter which vehicle one chooses to tow their Escape with as long as they are happy with !!!!!!!!!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
It doesn’t matter which vehicle one chooses to tow their Escape with as long as they are happy with !!!!!!!!!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
I really don't know where you get that Brian. [emoji38]
I do! Maybe not so much on this forum, but spend any time at all on a Ford or Chevy or Ram forum and watch the non-stop, back-and-forth bashing. Though much is mean-spirited, some posts are really creative and down-right funny!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I do! Maybe not so much on this forum, but spend any time at all on a Ford or Chevy or Ram forum and watch the non-stop, back-and-forth bashing. Though much is mean-spirited, some posts are really creative and down-right funny!
Truth. In everything in life when it comes to an opinion, Confirmation Bias is the top dog.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I am going to spend the money to buy a diesel truck then I will buy a 3/4 or one ton truck with a real diesel engine , a Cummins diesel.
The assumption that this new class of small diesel engines will turn
500,000 miles without a hitch , may not be based in reality.
YMMV
Is there anyone on this forum own a vehicle they have or intend on putting 500,000 miles on? where did the 500k assumption come fromanyway?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Is there anyone on this forum own a vehicle they have or intend on putting 500,000 miles on? where did the 500k assumption come fromanyway?
Hi: Chotch... Looks like I'm singing from this hymnal. I can't a ford a Ford or any other truck at current prices. I'm on a "Fixed" income but it's still broke!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
That "ASSUMPTION " came from reading numerous threads on this forum , the FGRV forum , the Casita Forum and numerous other forums. Many people seem to ASSUME that because the diesel engines in commercial vehicles last a million miles then the small , low cost diesel engines in passenger vehicle will render a,similar service life.
Hope I answered your question
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Ford tried the two-badge approach, too, but it turned out that not many people wanted to buy an F-150 with a "Lincoln" badge.
never mind that the "Lincoln" trucks were slapped with the ugly stick.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #38
Site Team

we put about 500,000 miles on one vehicle, our 1987 Volvo 240. 4 cyl 2.3L cast iron block, simple EFI, very robust. vehicle had one transmission rebuild, about 5 alternators, 2 radiators, a few water pumps.... original head gasket. somewhere around 200K miles the air conditioning went out and was never worth fixing. The car was STILL running well *and* looked decent on the outside when we scrapped it, but the interior was getting wet in rainy weather and where my daughter lives (last driver of said car), it rains a LOT, this water in turn was causing all sorts of electrical gremlins as well as turning the inside of the car into a biology experiment.

Sept. 2013, daughter leaving for college in said car.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
never mind that the "Lincoln" trucks were slapped with the ugly stick.
It's not all looks. I have a friend, "substantial" in size, who can afford to drive whatever he wants, and he absolutely loves his Lincoln Mark LT pickup. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Speaking of badging, I was walking around a Ford dealer lot several years back and happened upon a car that had the Ford "Crown Victoria" badge on the C pillar on the driver side, and the Mercury "Grand Marquis" badge on the passenger side. I gave the salesman a questioning look, and he just shrugged and said, "It happens."
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
... Speaking of badging, I was walking around a Ford dealer lot several years back and happened upon a car that had the Ford "Crown Victoria" badge on the C pillar on the driver side, and the Mercury "Grand Marquis" badge on the passenger side. I gave the salesman a questioning look, and he just shrugged and said, "It happens."
rotfl. "At Ford, Quality is First!" or some such corporate doublespeak.