New Subaru SUV- 7 passenger- - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
New Subaru SUV- 7 passenger-

Subaru U.S. Media Center

I doubt it is going to be much good for towing but one could hope. Sounds like just a big Forester.

From the reveal page: "The Ascent SUV Concept is the preview of a spacious, versatile, family-sized SUV with three rows of flexible seating. The concept vehicle features a 2.4-liter Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine paired with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, a configurable interior with true 7-passenger seating capability, and outstanding ground clearance for all of the family’s daily adventures."
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Just unveiled at the LA car show- tows up to 5000 lbs. Didn't hear any pricing info, listed as a 2019. So comparable I imagine to the Highlander and Pilot.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
More detail:
Presenting the 2019 Subaru Ascent SUV | Subaru
and in the brochure.

According to the brochure, you need at least the Premium trim level for the 5,000 pound towing capacity, and notes that "Trailer brakes may be required" and "See your retailer for details" (which will likely be futile).

This is a large vehicle, substantially longer in wheelbase (117") than a Highlander or Pilot, and even slightly longer in wheelbase than a Tahoe/Yukon.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What I don't understand is why they insist on loading these vehicles with extra seats in order to get the greater tow rating. Same with Hyundai and Toyota Highlander.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Same motor, just turbo charged. Hopefully the 200 lb tongue weight will be higher.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It appears to be a large improvement over currently offered models from competing manufacturers.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Same motor, just turbo charged.
... which makes a huge difference. Think of this as two-thirds of a Ford EcoBoost 3.5 V6; that EcoBoost 3.5 can can handle twice what this SUV will weigh with a 5000 pound trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hopefully the 200 lb tongue weight will be higher.
Subaru gets a lot of flak for only allowing 200 pounds on the hitch with a 2600 pound trailer weight (instead of the expected 260 pounds), but with a 5000 pound allowed trailer weight, the allowed tongue weight will obviously be more than 200 pounds. It may be a year before we see how much more.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... which makes a huge difference. Think of this as two-thirds of a Ford EcoBoost 3.5 V6; that EcoBoost 3.5 can can handle twice what this SUV will weigh with a 5000 pound trailer.

Subaru gets a lot of flak for only allowing 200 pounds on the hitch with a 2600 pound trailer weight (instead of the expected 260 pounds), but with a 5000 pound allowed trailer weight, the allowed tongue weight will obviously be more than 200 pounds. It may be a year before we see how much more.
interesting info.

my gut hunch is that a turbo engine would not provide tons more torque, especially when you need it (merging into a busy CA freeway towing a 21' Escape)

our Acura MDX is fine for towing our 21' but our next tow vehicle will have more HP and more torque - i want to be able to scamper up mountains and even more quickly merge into freeways.

looking seriously at Audi Q7. My better 1/2 insists on midsize SUV and given our lifestyle, i can't argue.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
The all-new Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine delivers 260 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque. And with 19.3 gallons of fuel capacity, it puts almost any destination within reach.
I don't know how that compares to a Highlander or Pilot. My 2012 Forester is 170/174, turbo in the same year was 220/224.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What I don't understand is why they insist on loading these vehicles with extra seats in order to get the greater tow rating. Same with Hyundai and Toyota Highlander.
... and Volkswagen. The largest VW SUV is the Atlas, which has the same wheelbase, length, and width as the Subaru Ascent (within a fraction of an inch), the same 5,000 pound towing capacity (when equipped with the V6 engine)... and three rows of seating.

I think it's simply that the largest model with the most sustained power and highest suspension capacity exists to accommodate three rows of seating, and those same characteristics (of size, powertrain, and suspension) also provide the best towing capacity. Towing capacity is secondary to passenger capacity in marketing of these vehicles.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
... my gut hunch is that a turbo engine would not provide tons more torque, especially when you need it (merging into a busy CA freeway towing a 21' Escape)
Turbocharged gasoline engines got a bad reputation decades ago, as only suitable for sports cars, making power only at high engine speeds. Modern technology (primarily direct injection, but also variable geometry turbochargers) have radically changed that; the power band of a modern turbo engine is broader than a non-turbo.

The power and torque characteristics of modern turbodiesel engines - which most people seem to find desirable - are due to the turbocharger, not the diesel fuel or diesel cycle.

One turbo problem has always been speed of response, and that has greatly improved. It can still be a bit of an issue. I had a short test drive of Honda CR-V (which has a turbocharged engine and CVT transmission), and found lag from a standstill to be annoying... but some of that could have been the transmission. The Ascent has a CVT, as well. This would certainly be something to look for in a test drive of any turbocharged vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Quote:
The all-new Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine delivers 260 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque. And with 19.3 gallons of fuel capacity, it puts almost any destination within reach.
I don't know how that compares to a Highlander or Pilot.
This puts the Ascent's peak torque higher than the Pilot (253 lb-ft) and Highlander (267 lb-ft), and although in this quote Subaru does not mention the corresponding engine speed, it will certainly maintain at least most of this peak torque to a much lower speed than the non-turbos (which peak at 4800 and 4700 rpm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My 2012 Forester is 170/174, turbo in the same year was 220/224.
The 2012 Subaru Forester engines are not directly comparable: the non-turbo was a 2.4 L of the current generation (FB), while the turbo was a 2.0 L of the previous generation (FA).
Old 11-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
... looking seriously at Audi Q7. My better 1/2 insists on midsize SUV and given our lifestyle, i can't argue.
Another reasonable option. VW has dropped their equivalent to the Q7 (the Touareg), in favour of the Atlas. The Atlas is built on a different platform, and has lower rated towing capacity but longer wheelbase.

The Q7 is shorter in wheelbase than the Ascent, but has had (and presumably still has) a higher tow rating.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

The 7 (or 8) passenger thing is annoying. I wish the back seats were an option. I want a bench middle seat so am stuck with 8 passengers with any of these. Still hoping Honda comes out with a slightly smaller, 5 passenger Pilot, but not sure how long I want to wait. I want to do Alaska and X-country and would like to get a different tow vehicle first.

I have yet to see any reports on the actual towing capability of the new Rav4 Adventure (the one rated at 3500 lbs.)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #14

Trailer: none
Longer wheelbase is good, but the most limiting factor, payload capacity, remains to be seen. A lot of the unibody SUV / crossovers tend to have payloads in the 900-1000 lb range. A 5000 lb tow rating doesn't mean much if after accounting for tongue and hitch weight (probably requires weight distribution for trailers over 3500 lbs) you only have room for two adults and no other cargo.

Then again I get the feeling that most folks on this forum are empty nesters just travelling as a couple, so maybe that's fine. But then why buy a 7-passenger SUV?

So hopefully the frame and suspension are good enough for 1200+ lbs of payload, but at this point who knows.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Then again I get the feeling that most folks on this forum are empty nesters just travelling as a couple, so maybe that's fine. But then why buy a 7-passenger SUV?
Because that's the size of vehicle which has the desired cargo and towing capacity. The same happens with vans: some buy them for passenger capacity, but not everyone. Just because it comes with seats does not mean that those seats need to be occupied. Many people remove the surplus seats from their vans, even the ones which are not intended to be removable.

So why not just buy a van? For one thing, all-wheel-drive is not highly available in vans, although the Toyota Sienna is still available with it.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #16

It has a CVT transmission (we have a Forester), which isn't conducive to towing. I love Subaru's, but wouldn't tow anything with a CVT.

https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/ascent
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It seems that, for whatever reason, every major vehicle manufacturer in the world believes that every potential full-sized SUV customer in the world wants three-row seating. Try to find a new model full-sized SUV with just two-row seating. Go figure.....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It seems that, for whatever reason, every major vehicle manufacturer in the world believes that every potential full-sized SUV customer in the world wants three-row seating. Try to find a new model full-sized SUV with just two-row seating. Go figure.....
Totally agree with you.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Our first SUV (recall that the middle letter stands for "utility") was a 1988 Toyota 4Runner (body-on-frame design, removable rear cap). At the time, the State of Alabama didn't even have an SUV designation on their vehicle registration forms yet. My understanding was that what warranted the "utility" designation was that it had ample enclosed cargo space and ample towing capacity. Many of today's so-called SUV's have limited enclosed cargo space (sacrificed for third-row seating and other luxuries) and limited towing capacity (sacrificed for fuel efficiency) and are in reality not much more than family station wagons being marketed under the snazzier "SUV" banner. Just my opinion, I'll get off my soapbox...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Many of today's so-called SUV's have limited enclosed cargo space (sacrificed for third-row seating and other luxuries) and limited towing capacity (sacrificed for fuel efficiency) and are in reality not much more than family station wagons being marketed under the snazzier "SUV" banner.
That's why we hear things like "crossover" and "CUV" more now. It's a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo, but also design compromises.
This is pretty interesting from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

To my knowledge the only mid-size SUV's that are still body-on-frame are the Toyota 4Runner and it's cousin the Lexus GX.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote