New Tire Options for a 2004 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Anyone getting tires for their trailer can get most of their questions answered from tire professionals at reputable tire stores. They will advise, balance, and mount your tires. Leave it to the pros.
Or go to ETI.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Wheels are metal, tires are rubber. Easy peasy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Anyone getting tires for their trailer can get most of their questions answered from tire professionals at reputable tire stores. They will advise, balance, and mount your tires. Leave it to the pros.
Or go to ETI.
The trick here is finding a competent professional at a reputable tire store. There are lots of people selling tires who really have no clue about tires - they get away with this because most tire sales are just direct replacement of a tire with the same size and type. Some major and well-regarded chains publish outright misinformation, presumably just due to error rather than malicious intent.

In other discussions (in other forums) it has become apparent that many "professionals" at major tire stores don't balance trailer tires at all.

Even if leaving all the work to the pros - in any profession - it is in the consumer's interest to have some understanding of what is being done, if only to catch errors resulting from glitches in communication.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #24

Come on. I read those forums on another sites and the professionals weren't professionals. One has to talk to a dealership not a discount tire, ladder and sofa shop. If the reputable tire shop's owner has been in business for ten years I say trust him over the non professional tire recommenders on this forum.
Or go to ETI.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Come on. I read those forums on another sites and the professionals weren't professionals
This appears to be a misreading of my statement, quoted below. Perhaps I was not clear. I did not state, or even mean to suggest, that tire professionals are found in forums. I was only trying to report that businesses presumably accepted as "tire professionals" by reasonable people (trailer owners) did not balance trailer tires, thus failing to do as J Mac says they will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In other discussions (in other forums) it has become apparent that many "professionals" at major tire stores don't balance trailer tires at all.
So, is Discount Tire - despite the "discount" name - a reputable tire (and not ladder or sofa) shop? It is huge, well regarded by at least some customers, and has been in business for over five times the required decade. Its website publishes blatantly incorrect speed ratings for trailer tires, and its staff refuses to correct the error. Sure, go to the "professionals"... but take accountability for your decisions, rather than blindly trusting them.

Understanding is good.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #26

I'm not familiar with Discount Tire. I didn't read the word professional in the other forums either so I suggest Brian that we all refer to ETI for tire questions. Leave the wholesalers and retailers out of it. After all, we trust ETI with electrical, propane, solar, plumbing, breaks etc. A simple call to ETI on the recommended tires and pressure should suffice. Why not use the tires ETI uses?

understanding is good and so is listening.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #27

I think it's fascinating how discussions wander. The original post was simply about "looking for opinions on a replacement tire". Although the intent may have only been to discuss brands, an alternate size was mentioned, and thus we got into an explanation of just how much a size change would affect the ride height of the trailer. That led to questions about how tires specs work, and now it seems that we have some better-informed members. Now the topic seems to be what we are allowed to think about, a far more Orwellian take on travel trailer chat!

I agree that simply using the same size, type, and even brand as the original equipment is appropriate; however, if that were the only possibility for the original poster, then this thread would have no reason to exist. If no discussion of alternatives is allowed, then why do we have the forum? Escape Trailer Industries is known for accommodating owners' requests for custom features, each of which is a departure from specification of the original. Even listed options are inherently different from the original spec, and some of those were not offered until prospective owners dared to ask about them.

Yes, there are people with more experience than us in tire selection, and there are even qualified professionals (who generally work for tire and auto manufacturers, not retailers and not RV manufacturers). They should be consulted, but they are not the only people allowed to discuss the topic - no more than electrical engineers are the only people allowed to discuss a battery or inverter choice, no more than plumbers are the only people allowed to discuss how (or even if) to install a toilet shutoff valve.

The 2004 17' came with ST205/75R14 tires (according to the original poster). The base equipment on a new 17' is ST205/75R15 (according to the ETI features page). Either Reace was wrong in 2004, or he's wrong now... or perhaps we can accept that there is no single correct answer to the question of tire size, and a discussion is appropriate. Anyone who is not comfortable considering the alternatives need not participate.

I am listening, and I am hearing "how dare you question The Word of Reace". I respect Reace greatly, but I don't see why all of his design decisions are fair game for discussion in this forum except for some select topics deemed by certain members to be inviolable. So far, we have suspension and tires, in case anyone is keeping a blacklist.

So, has anyone actually asked Reace if a 2004 17' should stay with the original ST205/75R14 or update to the current ST205/75R15, or if there is any guidance he might have regarding size, type, or brand?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAM View Post
I have a 2004 17B and I'm looking for opinions on a replacement tire. I currently have Goodyear Marathon Radials. The tire size is ST205/75R14.
You have mentioned the brand (Goodyear Marathon), construction type (radial), size (205/75R14), and type (ST). Is there any particular aspect that you are considering changing... and if so, what are you looking to improve?

I note that the current tire supplied by ETI with the 17' is a ST205/75R15 (15" wheel instead of 14"); are you interested in opinions regarding an update to the current spec, such as information about whether or not it would be appropriate for the earlier trailer? Note: this change would raise the trailer about 1/2"; it would also allow an inflation pressure a couple of PSI lower for the same load capacity (although trailer tire pressure selection is controversial).
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... A quick scan of ETI Trailers/Features shows all standard tires now are 15". ST205/75R15 with the exception of the 5.0 using ST225/75R15's. I believe Reace did this to standardize across the production line. I changed my wheels as the white ones had appeal and rust issues. Good time to install new tires too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #30

Brian, calm down. It was simply mentioned that if in doubt replace with original equipment.
If you're not comfortable with that as an alternative you need not participate?!?
Forums are discussion platforms. We don't have to agree.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wheels are metal, tires are rubber. Easy peasy.
Thanks Donna, that's a helpful way to remember for the lesser automotively endowed.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Brian, calm down. It was simply mentioned that if in doubt replace with original equipment.
No, you said quite a bit more than that.

Quote:
If you're not comfortable with that as an alternative you need not participate?!?
Forums are discussion platforms. We don't have to agree.
True! Then why try to quash discussion? Don't answer - that was rhetorical...
My point was just that if someone is uncomfortable with discussion of some aspect of the trailer, then instead of trying to stop others from discussing it they have the option of just not participating.

Quote:
Why not use the tires ETI uses?
Because "the tires ETI uses" has changed, so that approach doesn't provide a clear answer. Because an owner may have preferences which don't match the average customer, and thus may want a variation from the standard. <Fill in your own reason here>

I don't see any problem with using either the tires that ETI used in 2004, or the different size that ETI uses today. One could use the same brand/model (Goodyear has only one ST model), and I see no problem with that. Personally, I would choose neither of those sizes for myself, and would choose a different type, but those original equipment specifications are perfectly good choices.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #33

Quote:
After all, we trust ETI with electrical, propane, solar, plumbing, breaks etc.
In fact, "we" (members of this forum) routinely discuss variations from ETI's design in most (perhaps all) of those areas. Electrical (wiring, converter/chargers, inverters, outlets...) and solar (panels, panel mounting, wiring from panels, controllers...) are two quite frequently discussed areas, and little of that discussion is simply documenting ETI's standard design or options.

I don't think discussion, or even the selection of alternate equipment, indicates any distrust of ETI or of anyone else.

I agree - tires are just like these other topics.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #34

I think I've lost track of your point Brian.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What size/type would you use Brian?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What size/type would you use Brian?
Personally, for my similar-sized current trailer, I picked a commercial (not ST) 215/70R15; however, we are not currently using the trailer (not enough space) so I didn't buy the wheels and tires.

My original size was equivalent to the 205/75R14 of the 2004 Escape 17', and I wanted
  • slightly greater width (for better lateral response)
  • slightly less sidewall height (for greater lateral stability)
  • similar or only minimally greater overall diameter (to keep ride height down and avaid fit problems)
  • the higher speed rating and durable construction of a commercial-service tire
  • more tire capacity (per pair) than the 3500-pound axle capacity
  • the option of compatibility between the trailer and tug spare wheels&tires (with hub adapters)
A commercial (or LT or euro-metric 215/70R15 is the easiest solution to those requirements... which again are my preferences.

I realize that most owners would have different critera and thus choose differently. Also, I think the Escape 17' may have more room in the wheel wells than my Boler.

The use of non-ST tires on trailers is controversial, and I'll bow out of any discussion of that topic, as I believe that my participation would only lead others to cause problems in the forum.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
....My original size was equivalent to the 205/75R14 of the 2004 Escape 17', and I wanted
  • slightly greater width (for better lateral response)
Hot Rodders call these "Big Meats." Wider width within the same vertical.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks for that info; in looking at Rolling Along Safely: A Tire Guide, it would seem that for a 17 Escape with single-axle that your suggestion may indeed be viable.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #39

Trailer: 2004 17B
Thanks for all of your opinions. It's great to see such a lively discussion, filled with very good info. I just talked to ETI and they are currently using Carlisle Tires on all their trailers.
TBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #40

If ETI uses Carlisle tires on their new trailers then those are the ones I'd recommend.

Tags
17b, tires