New To Trailering - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

New To Trailering

My wife and I are preparing for retirement and one of our plans is to do lots of travelling. While we are experienced tent campers, a comfortable bed and a dry place to sit are now priorities for us. We intent to do a lot of touring so are looking at a light weight trailer and the Escape 19 looks ideal. But, we have questions.
1. Looking to pull with a mid-sized 6 cylinder SUV. We don't want to buy a truck or large SUV. Is this really practical for a 19 foot trailer...stable and secure under varied conditions?
2. The forums seem to indicate very little depreciation on Escapes. If, after a year or so we decide that roaming is really not for us, is it realistic to expect to be able to resell with only a couple thousand per year depreciation?
3. We travel a bit on gravel roads. What is the wear like to the front and underside of a fiberglass trailer? Can this be mitigated?
4. Unplugged, how long can we expect batteries to last with normal load (interior lighting, water pump, passive electronics in fridge, water heater etc.) In other words, what is expectation for use of generator (not including use of AC?)
5. Any other advice for someone on the fence about whether to take the plunge or not?
chimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Re: New To Trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimbers
1. Looking to pull with a mid-sized 6 cylinder SUV. We don't want to buy a truck or large SUV. Is this really practical for a 19 foot trailer...stable and secure under varied conditions?
I'll take a shot at question 1.
The 19 should be towed with a vehicle that has a minimum 4500# towing capacity. This includes mid-sized SUVs like the Toyota Highlander (5000#) or the Honda Pilot 4wd (4500#), both have a V6. The 17 can be towed with a vehicle that has a 3500# towing capacity like the Toyota Rav4 which is either a mid-sized SUV or a cute-ute, depending on what you are comparing it to. The 19 is wonderfully stable in tow which I suspect is due to the tandem axle that makes it want to go straight when wind gusts are trying to turn it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: chimbers...#2 There's no hard and fast rule for depreciation but any limited production vehicle should hold its value well. I look to the prices asked for the # of units sold on this forum, and while not knowing the actual selling price can be reasonably sure of a close to asked price.
I for one don't want to sell our 5.0 unless my health goes for chop. The last 3 used 5.0's that I know of sold for nearly new $$$'s. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Welcome about chimbers. Lots of good reading you can do here, and lots of opinions to be gathered. Despite the differences in thoughts on some subjects, one thing is certain and that is that everyone loves their Escape.

My thoughts.

1. An SUV with a 6 cylinder engine and a minimum of 4,500 lb towing capacity will work just fine pulling the 19.
2. They depreciate very little as the body being moulded fiberglass is very tough and will not really weaken at all, unlike stick built trailers. Getting your money out of using it a season or two would be easy when reselling.
3. You will see pitting on gravel roads. A coating like Line-X will stop this. If you were to opt for a front storage box I believe they are coated.
4. Depending on outside temperatures, amount of daylight, and use of additional appliances, I would say anywhere from 3 to 10 days.
-For starters, if you are going off grid the best thing you can do is to get the dual 6V batteries.
-I have been out for 4 days in mid-summer and had most of my capacity left, and I have been out for 4 days with temps dropping all 3 nights below freezing, and was well down in capacity, with not likely more than a day left. I don't have LED lights as yet either.
-The biggest draw on the batteries off grid depends on how much use the furnace gets, as the fan draws a fair bit of power.
-Keep the heat low (or off), throw on lots off blankets, and cuddle with your SO.
-Opting for the added insulation and dual glazed windows helps keep the heat in.
-Using LED lights will help save energy.
-Using a solar panel to top up the batteries will help too.
-You could also buy either a real small generator that will top up the batteries, or a 2,000+ kW one if you want to run everything including A/C.
5. Silly question. Go for it!!!!!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I will take a shot at Number 4, battery life. How is this for an answer? It varies!

In the experiments I have done I find I can last an easy week on battery. These have been in mid summer with lots of day light and limited evening reading. Please note I have LED lights. My son requires the use of a CPAP and that draws some power, I looked it up once and it did not appear to be much.

When I say a week, that is because at that point I have reached the half full stage on the battery and recall the recommendation is not to take a battery below the half way point. I test the battery every couple of days using this, it is much more accurate that the three LED's on the control panel. I am using the dual 6 volt.

Attached Thumbnails
equus battery.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote