New tow for 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2016, 01:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you look further down the road, you won't need to apply those larger brakes.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
Also going to add the touareg tdi to list, but it would need to be a good deal as I worry about their future with the vw scandal.
It's an awesome tow vehicle and daily driver, but the used market in the US right now is dysfunctional due to dieselgate. There are pending court dates in late October and November that may clarify things, and most people are hanging on to theirs to see if there is going to be a buyback. I did a search in my area (SF Bay Area) for a 75-mile radius and there were exactly 2 2012-2016's available. I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2012, which is the year they seemed to get more reliable. Prices are sky high right now due to lack of supply, but that may all change when the fix or buyback details are released.

I wouldn't worry about the future of VW as a company. They are actually doing quite well even with the huge settlements. I would buy another new Touareg without hesitation, but VW has stated they won't be selling any more TDI's in the US for at least the 2016-17 model years so doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:30 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
I have never seen such big brakes than those on my new Mustang, they are huge and came with the "track package". When I hit the brakes I canl hear that saying "stop on a dime and give you .09 change" as it stops. But the car does not tow. As Brian says, the trailer brakes as well as the larger tow vehicle mass both help in stopping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0421.jpg   IMG_0425.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
VW Touareg

Just had my 2016 Touareg TDI in for its first service, and in conversation with the service manager he indicated that the EPA regs were going to be tighter in 2018. This will likely affect the likelihood of seeing a TDI Touareg in 2018 either, For the record its a great tow vehicle for my 17B. My previous tow was a 2013 Pilot EXL-res and there is no comparison in ride quality, but it comes at a higher cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
It's an awesome tow vehicle and daily driver, but the used market in the US right now is dysfunctional due to dieselgate. There are pending court dates in late October and November that may clarify things, and most people are hanging on to theirs to see if there is going to be a buyback. I did a search in my area (SF Bay Area) for a 75-mile radius and there were exactly 2 2012-2016's available. I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2012, which is the year they seemed to get more reliable. Prices are sky high right now due to lack of supply, but that may all change when the fix or buyback details are released.

I wouldn't worry about the future of VW as a company. They are actually doing quite well even with the huge settlements. I would buy another new Touareg without hesitation, but VW has stated they won't be selling any more TDI's in the US for at least the 2016-17 model years so doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
Most modern cars have more than enough braking power to overcome either tire traction or engine power. Heat dissipation on disc brakes tends to be pretty good too, but I could see heat buildup becoming an issue on long descents; especially without trailer brakes. Some sort of ducting would probably be more beneficial for that than bigger brakes, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Most modern cars have more than enough braking power to overcome either tire traction or engine power. Heat dissipation on disc brakes tends to be pretty good too, but I could see heat buildup becoming an issue on long descents; especially without trailer brakes. Some sort of ducting would probably be more beneficial for that than bigger brakes, though.
I agree, except that no one should be maintaining a steady descent speed wih the brakes (of the tug or the trailer) - that's what engine braking is for, with brakes only for slowing down. If you need to slow down for every turn during a descent the heat could build up, but if there are a lot of turns a better plan if towing is to settle for a lower speed between the turns to avoid the need to slow down for each one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Carl, I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but we tow our current 2010 EggCamper (2,600 lb) with a 2002 Highlander V6 with no problems (150K miles and going strong). 14-16 mpg towing, 22-24 mpg when not. Very comfortable ride as well. We'd get another Highlander in a heartbeat, but I'd like to have something with an open-air bed for hauling a modest amount of stuff (dirt, concrete blocks, washing machine, whatever) that will still fit into a parking space with room to open the doors, so we're strongly considering a new Ridgeline (basically the pickup version of a Pilot) when we up-size to a 2017 Escape 21 early next year. The good news is there are several good choices out there....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We looked at the highlander, mdx, sorento and pilot yesterday.
New highlander seats were horrible for me, pushed my shoulders forward, older highlander too plain inside for the wife.
MDX felt small, not super impressed.
Sorento: wife really like this, it seems nice especially with the big sunroof. Legroom in front of the car seat was 2-3" less than ideal for me and third row is pretty small. Drove ok. I would nix on the legroom issue, but it won't be my car.
Pilot: Only sat in it, comfortable with lots of space. Feels much bigger than the sorento or highlander. Same gas milage and price as the sorento with similar features. We need go back and drive it, but this would be my pick.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
We looked at the highlander, mdx, sorento and pilot yesterday.
New highlander seats were horrible for me, pushed my shoulders forward, older highlander too plain inside for the wife.
MDX felt small, not super impressed.
Sorento: wife really like this, it seems nice especially with the big sunroof. Legroom in front of the car seat was 2-3" less than ideal for me and third row is pretty small. Drove ok. I would nix on the legroom issue, but it won't be my car.
Pilot: Only sat in it, comfortable with lots of space. Feels much bigger than the sorento or highlander. Same gas milage and price as the sorento with similar features. We need go back and drive it, but this would be my pick.
Neighbor picked up a new Pilot last week. Haven't driven it but I've sat in it. It's impressive. Seems much bigger than the previous models.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #30

Wife and daughter hate the seats in my RAV4, so I'm going to take any new vehicle for a long test drive. I'm wondering if you order the Highlander with the umpteen-way power, heated and cooled leather seats, is it more comfortable?
Wife is longing for the seats in the old '94 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition ( whoever he was ).
Old 10-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wife and daughter hate the seats in my RAV4, so I'm going to take any new vehicle for a long test drive. I'm wondering if you order the Highlander with the umpteen-way power, heated and cooled leather seats, is it more comfortable?
Wife is longing for the seats in the old '94 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition ( whoever he was ).
Make sure whatever you get is sized appropriately for your new 19 or 21.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Neighbor picked up a new Pilot last week. Haven't driven it but I've sat in it. It's impressive. Seems much bigger than the previous models.

I just saw a new Pilot- looks like a tank! it's off my list. Isn't the new Highlander seat pretty adjustable? Seems like sitting forward is something you could fix.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Make sure whatever you get is sized appropriately for your new 19 or 21.
Aha! The secret's out.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
My issue with the highlander seats was the shape which did not work for my back and doesn't change with options. The sorento, pilot and mdx all had much better seats imho.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I just saw a new Pilot- looks like a tank! it's off my list. Isn't the new Highlander seat pretty adjustable? Seems like sitting forward is something you could fix.
Are you sure you never saw the last model. The 2017 is way less boxy looking than the previous one, like the 2009 I owned. While looks are nice. I will always take comfort and performance over them. Our Pilot was not that great looking, but it was very easy to drive, and was comfortable to take long rides in.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Well, I'm not really sure which one it was. But I assumed new since I've seen one my friend has (not sure of the year) and it seemed less huge. Hoping to look at one soon.

One thing I noticed (and haven't done a direct enough comparison to be sure) but it seemed like the Kia loses its value faster (as a used car). Not a big problem for me as I like to keep my cars forever but I wonder if, other than brand name, there is a reason.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Well, I'm not really sure which one it was. But I assumed new since I've seen one my friend has (not sure of the year) and it seemed less huge. Hoping to look at one soon.

One thing I noticed (and haven't done a direct enough comparison to be sure) but it seemed like the Kia loses its value faster (as a used car). Not a big problem for me as I like to keep my cars forever but I wonder if, other than brand name, there is a reason.
In the back of my head I can hear my (trusted, 2nd generation) auto mechanic saying "because Kia's are less reliable than Hondas and Toyotas..."

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Seat comfort is such an individual thing - varying by make, model and even side of the vehicle. For example, within new model Hondas, my wife and I both like both front seats of the Pilot, dislike both front seats of the CRV, and in the Odyssey, we like the driver's seat but not the front passenger seat. Go figure. And why doesn't the "touring" version of the Odyssey have a 10-way seat for the passenger as well as the driver? I guess they figure just the driver will need the extra comfort for a long drive - forget the passenger. Also for whatever reason, in our experience, the framework and padding supporting leather seats generally conform better to varying body shapes than that supporting cloth seats. Not sure what that's all about. Again, seat comfort is such an individual thing. Try them all on for size...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't know whether Kia vehicles are actually less (or even more) reliable than other brands, but they certainly do not have as well established a reputation as Toyota or Honda, and that will affect resale value. Personally, I keep my vehicles a long time, so I don't care much about resale value.

The Honda Pilot and Acura MDX share a platform. The current versions of each have exactly the same wheelbase and within a few millimetres of the same overall length, but the MDX is a little bit narrower (probably just trim differences). I don't hink that the average person could tell the two apart if they saw them on the street without badges. It's surprising that one seems more roomy than the other from the driver's seat.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #40

For amusement I went to Honda build/price site. Lots of luck getting information. They have a 3,500 lb tow package and a 5,000 lb tow package. Either can be had with a 1 7/8" or 2" ball.
But what that tow package includes is sorely lacking. Found the same lack of useful information on other sites. What I have figured out is that a capable tow vehicle will set you back around $60,000 ( in Canada ).
My RAV4 will need new tires next spring. $1,200 sounds so much better than $60,000, plus tax.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.27.20 PM.png