New tow for 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching

Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
If you look further down the road, you won't need to apply those larger brakes.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B on Feb 7, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
Also going to add the touareg tdi to list, but it would need to be a good deal as I worry about their future with the vw scandal.
It's an awesome tow vehicle and daily driver, but the used market in the US right now is dysfunctional due to dieselgate. There are pending court dates in late October and November that may clarify things, and most people are hanging on to theirs to see if there is going to be a buyback. I did a search in my area (SF Bay Area) for a 75-mile radius and there were exactly 2 2012-2016's available. I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2012, which is the year they seemed to get more reliable. Prices are sky high right now due to lack of supply, but that may all change when the fix or buyback details are released.

I wouldn't worry about the future of VW as a company. They are actually doing quite well even with the huge settlements. I would buy another new Touareg without hesitation, but VW has stated they won't be selling any more TDI's in the US for at least the 2016-17 model years so doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.

skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
I have never seen such big brakes than those on my new Mustang, they are huge and came with the "track package". When I hit the brakes I canl hear that saying "stop on a dime and give you .09 change" as it stops. But the car does not tow. As Brian says, the trailer brakes as well as the larger tow vehicle mass both help in stopping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0421.jpg (188.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.jpg (403.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
VW Touareg

Just had my 2016 Touareg TDI in for its first service, and in conversation with the service manager he indicated that the EPA regs were going to be tighter in 2018. This will likely affect the likelihood of seeing a TDI Touareg in 2018 either, For the record its a great tow vehicle for my 17B. My previous tow was a 2013 Pilot EXL-res and there is no comparison in ride quality, but it comes at a higher cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
It's an awesome tow vehicle and daily driver, but the used market in the US right now is dysfunctional due to dieselgate. There are pending court dates in late October and November that may clarify things, and most people are hanging on to theirs to see if there is going to be a buyback. I did a search in my area (SF Bay Area) for a 75-mile radius and there were exactly 2 2012-2016's available. I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2012, which is the year they seemed to get more reliable. Prices are sky high right now due to lack of supply, but that may all change when the fix or buyback details are released.

I wouldn't worry about the future of VW as a company. They are actually doing quite well even with the huge settlements. I would buy another new Touareg without hesitation, but VW has stated they won't be selling any more TDI's in the US for at least the 2016-17 model years so doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (future)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
Most modern cars have more than enough braking power to overcome either tire traction or engine power. Heat dissipation on disc brakes tends to be pretty good too, but I could see heat buildup becoming an issue on long descents; especially without trailer brakes. Some sort of ducting would probably be more beneficial for that than bigger brakes, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Most modern cars have more than enough braking power to overcome either tire traction or engine power. Heat dissipation on disc brakes tends to be pretty good too, but I could see heat buildup becoming an issue on long descents; especially without trailer brakes. Some sort of ducting would probably be more beneficial for that than bigger brakes, though.
I agree, except that no one should be maintaining a steady descent speed wih the brakes (of the tug or the trailer) - that's what engine braking is for, with brakes only for slowing down. If you need to slow down for every turn during a descent the heat could build up, but if there are a lot of turns a better plan if towing is to settle for a lower speed between the turns to avoid the need to slow down for each one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; Escape 21 on order
Carl, I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but we tow our current 2010 EggCamper (2,600 lb) with a 2002 Highlander V6 with no problems (150K miles and going strong). 14-16 mpg towing, 22-24 mpg when not. Very comfortable ride as well. We'd get another Highlander in a heartbeat, but I'd like to have something with an open-air bed for hauling a modest amount of stuff (dirt, concrete blocks, washing machine, whatever) that will still fit into a parking space with room to open the doors, so we're strongly considering a new Ridgeline (basically the pickup version of a Pilot) when we up-size to a 2017 Escape 21 early next year. The good news is there are several good choices out there....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #28

Trailer: Shopping
We looked at the highlander, mdx, sorento and pilot yesterday.
New highlander seats were horrible for me, pushed my shoulders forward, older highlander too plain inside for the wife.
MDX felt small, not super impressed.
Sorento: wife really like this, it seems nice especially with the big sunroof. Legroom in front of the car seat was 2-3" less than ideal for me and third row is pretty small. Drove ok. I would nix on the legroom issue, but it won't be my car.
Pilot: Only sat in it, comfortable with lots of space. Feels much bigger than the sorento or highlander. Same gas milage and price as the sorento with similar features. We need go back and drive it, but this would be my pick.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
We looked at the highlander, mdx, sorento and pilot yesterday.
New highlander seats were horrible for me, pushed my shoulders forward, older highlander too plain inside for the wife.
MDX felt small, not super impressed.
Sorento: wife really like this, it seems nice especially with the big sunroof. Legroom in front of the car seat was 2-3" less than ideal for me and third row is pretty small. Drove ok. I would nix on the legroom issue, but it won't be my car.
Pilot: Only sat in it, comfortable with lots of space. Feels much bigger than the sorento or highlander. Same gas milage and price as the sorento with similar features. We need go back and drive it, but this would be my pick.
Neighbor picked up a new Pilot last week. Haven't driven it but I've sat in it. It's impressive. Seems much bigger than the previous models.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
Old 10-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Wife and daughter hate the seats in my RAV4, so I'm going to take any new vehicle for a long test drive. I'm wondering if you order the Highlander with the umpteen-way power, heated and cooled leather seats, is it more comfortable?
Wife is longing for the seats in the old '94 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition ( whoever he was ).

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote