New Tow in anticipation of new 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When we haul oak firewood , we throw the payload numbers out the window.. We just load the truck and trailer until the suspension bottoms out or the tires look like they are going to blow or the front tires start to come off the ground or the tire rub against the fenders .
You need to keep the speed down ,leave plenty of room for braking and stay off crowded roads but so far we’ve not encountered any problems . We did lose the trailer a couple times but luckily it didn’t hit anything and we were able to drag it out if the ditch .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Jake, Right you are. I just got around to looking at the door sticker. Payload is rated at 1,190 lbs. 60 less than you guessed. We are not large people nor is our dog so we should easily have enough capacity for the pin weight + ~ 200 lbs of stuff. I guess all the power do dads like the seats, steering wheel, power folding mirrors, etc take their toll!
You might really consider the Anderson Ultimate for a hitch. It’s the lightest option out there. The one I have is the rail mount steel version. I am very happy with it. Might make the difference between carrying that extra case of beer or not😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we haul oak firewood , we throw the payload numbers out the window.. We just load the truck and trailer until the suspension bottoms out or the tires look like they are going to blow or the front tires start to come off the ground or the tire rub against the fenders .
You need to keep the speed down ,leave plenty of room for braking and stay off crowded roads but so far we’ve not encountered any problems . We did lose the trailer a couple times but luckily it didn’t hit anything and we were able to drag it out if the ditch .
Hah! If in Wisconsin I will keep an eye out for that rig and give you plenty of room! Sounds like the classic cartoon I saw at the place that sells gravel...It shows a truck full of gravel with the back bumper on the ground and the front tires in the air with surprised faces on the occupants. The caption reads "Are you SURE you want a whole yard"
Ian and Sue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #24

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Is your rig in this video?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
The truck we use is a Ford F-150 V8 with 18” side boards around the bed and a hunk of plywood in front to protect the cab window . The trailer is homemade and holds between 5/8 to 3/4 cord of wood , depending on how the wood is stacked .
The biggest variable is whether the wood is dry deadfall or from live trees
I fully believe that most vehicles would fail under these condition but the truck is built Ford Tough and just keeps on working and hauling !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
You might really consider the Anderson Ultimate for a hitch. It’s the lightest option out there. The one I have is the rail mount steel version. I am very happy with it. Might make the difference between carrying that extra case of beer or not😁
Thanks for the endorsement! I am already planning on the Anderson Hitch. Likely will go the gooseneck ball route so I have full use of the bed when not towing. I’m often hauling mulch, yard waste, etc. seems like it would be a pain to sweep out around the rails.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Thanks for the endorsement! I am already planning on the Anderson Hitch. Likely will go the gooseneck ball route so I have full use of the bed when not towing. I’m often hauling mulch, yard waste, etc. seems like it would be a pain to sweep out around the rails.
I did the rail system in my truck since the previous camper owner already had the rail mount Anderson hitch. I cut the bedliner around the rails. If I had to do it again I might have just put the liner over the rails and removed it to use. I may try to find a big piece of bedliner to cover that area when using mulch etc. If you do not have a liner I don't think the rails are too hard to clean around. I got a custom mount rail kit that went in pretty smoothly and only required widening one existing hole in the frame slightly. I don't know much about the gooseneck set ups for Tundras.
Ian and Sue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've been putting a big tarp over the rails and hang it over the sides before getting it loaded with mulch. You need to be careful shoveling but it beats nothing. even using the tarp stuff gets stuck in the rails when you finish. A hose does okay cleaning it out although I have to get up in the bed to such. It's probably work better if I put a full sheet of ply under the tarp but I have no where to store it.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've been putting a big tarp over the rails and hang it over the sides before getting it loaded with mulch. You need to be careful shoveling but it beats nothing. even using the tarp stuff gets stuck in the rails when you finish. A hose does okay cleaning it out although I have to get up in the bed to such. It's probably work better if I put a full sheet of ply under the tarp but I have no where to store it.
Hmm. Maybe I will reconciler. A rail system is less money Thanks to both you and Ian for the perspective!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #30

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Arnie, do you happen to know if your Tundra has a twin brother? Yours is what I just started to look for. BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Silverdale.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Arnie, do you happen to know if your Tundra has a twin brother? Yours is what I just started to look for. BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Silverdale.
Hi Rick,

Nice to meet you! I used Car Gurus for my search. I looked for several weeks in a 150 mile radius. But as luck would have it, the one I bought showed up at my local dealer, Heartland Toyota. They had mistakenly listed it as a “Limited” but I recognized the options listed as a “Platinum.”

They have a new 2018 model in “Smoked Misquite” that has been on thier lot since Aug. You may be able to negotiate a fair deal during the clearance sale going on this week. https://www.heartlandtoyota.com/inve...ay5f17jx775625

It is a beautiful truck but with the 5.0 TA overlapping the bed I wanted white and the price was right. Good Luck!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 12-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #32

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Arnie, that' where I got the Highlander at Heartland. Yesterday, the wife and I looked at Tundras, F150s and Rams. Decided that Tundra is the way to go. Will be trying the Costco program and see what happens. That 2018 at Heartland is nice but the black interior is a deal breaker. Black in either the exterior and interior is out.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I’m often hauling mulch, yard waste, etc. seems like it would be a pain to sweep out around the rails.

I would use cordless leaf blower for anything that might be trapped under the rails.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I have a new to me tow in anticipation of our upgrade to a 2019 5.0 TA. Saved a bit by goin slightly used. 2017 Tundra Crew Max with the Platinum trim level. 21,500 mile on her but that is nothing for a Tundra. Pretty happy so far. I'm thinking the white truck will go well with the trailer.

Build Date on 5.0TA is Jan 23, completion April 23rd.
Have you towed a trailer with electric brakes yet using the Integrated Brake Controller? I have a 2018 Tundra eventually will tow a Escape 19 was researching how well the IBC works and found out there's a known issue with it randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. Reading the Tundra Forums Replacing the IBC and the trailer brake ECU and upgrading the software seems to resolve most of the issues
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
Have you towed a trailer with electric brakes yet using the Integrated Brake Controller? I have a 2018 Tundra eventually will tow a Escape 19 was researching how well the IBC works and found out there's a known issue with it randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. Reading the Tundra Forums Replacing the IBC and the trailer brake ECU and upgrading the software seems to resolve most of the issues
I have a 2018 Tundra that I bought new in September. Has 6000 miles on it to date. I to read of all the problems with the stock brake controller and was really worried and was ready to rip it out and put in an after market. But Took my time setting up the stock Brake Controller, and in late October towed our 21 out here to Arizona fron New York State, And it has worked perfectly. Much smoother than the after market one that was set up in my former Tundra. Had to make an emergency stop in New Mexico and all four trailer wheels locked up perfectly. My truck was built in May of 18. So maybe they have corrected the problem.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Arnie, I notice your statement "Build Date on 5.0TA is Jan 23, completion April 23rd." I do not think it takes 12 weeks to build an Escape, once they get started, it normally is completed within 2-3 weeks. I believe those dates are when your build sheet has to be signed and the other is when the trailer will be completed. Mine has 1/26-4/26, same period length. Anyway, you will start receiving pictures sometime in late March or early April and you will see how quick it is completed .We plan on May pickup and then attend the rally.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Arnie, I notice your statement "Build Date on 5.0TA is Jan 23, completion April 23rd." I do not think it takes 12 weeks to build an Escape, once they get started, it normally is completed within 2-3 weeks. I believe those dates are when your build sheet has to be signed and the other is when the trailer will be completed. Mine has 1/26-4/26, same period length. Anyway, you will start receiving pictures sometime in late March or early April and you will see how quick it is completed .We plan on May pickup and then attend the rally.
Jim, You are correct, Jan 23 is when I have to have my build sheet signed. I misspoke. Thanks for the clarification so that I am not misleading others even though I know what I meant. LOL!

Look forward to seeing you at the rally!!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #38

Hi Phil, Jake,

I saw those same Brake Controller issues discussed on the Tundra forums and the problem mostly seemed to apply to the 2018 model. I took my 2013 E19' out for a spin with the new truck this weekend for a quick getaway an hours drive away. Pulling out of my drive my trailer brakes locked up the first time I tested them. I dialed the gain on the integrated controller back to 5.5 and that worked well.

The trailer towed like a dream! On Saturday there were high winds gusting to 40mph and even crossing the Hood Canal Floating bridge notorious for bad cross winds I had no issues with control. I was using my E2 WDH and barely knew the trailer was back there.

(Now to just get rid of that loud after-market exhaust! The drone under load intruded into the cabin something awful! )
- Bremerton, WA
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Hi Phil, Jake,

I saw those same Brake Controller issues discussed on the Tundra forums and the problem mostly seemed to apply to the 2018 model. I took my 2013 E19' out for a spin with the new truck this weekend for a quick getaway an hours drive away. Pulling out of my drive my trailer brakes locked up the first time I tested them. I dialed the gain on the integrated controller back to 5.5 and that worked well.

The trailer towed like a dream! On Saturday there were high winds gusting to 40mph and even crossing the Hood Canal Floating bridge notorious for bad cross winds I had no issues with control. I was using my E2 WDH and barely knew the trailer was back there.

(Now to just get rid of that loud after-market exhaust! The drone under load intruded into the cabin something awful! )
Hi Arniesea, 5.5 is where I settled my gain also. Seems to work fine there.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote