New Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Below are pictures of the 2 stickers Brian referred to. Looks like no problem with hitch capacity or GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
20180423_121936.jpg   20180422_161632.jpg  
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Below are pictures of the 2 stickers Brian referred to.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Looks like no problem with hitch capacity or GVWR.
Agreed. As usual - including the example that baglo gave - the hitch sticker shows that it is rated higher than the vehicle for trailer weight, so only the vehicle limit is relevant. With no vehicle limit for the hitch weight, the hitch could be the limit... but in this case it's more than enough.

The second one provides the rear GAWR, which is well over half of the GVWR - by the time it's maxed out, the front can only carry 3480 pounds without exceeding GVWR, which is probably not much more than what it carries when the van is empty. If the van has 3300 pounds on the front axle when empty (a 60:40 distribution F:R), it would have 2200 pounds on the rear empty, and maxing out the rear axle would require 2870 added to the van centred at the rear axle... which is not likely to happen. A better calculation can be done with scale readings for the axles loads of the empty van, and the final confirmation of course is a set of scale readings when loaded up.

The hitch sticker confirms that not only would WD not increase the hitch weight limit for the hitch itself, WD is not even endorsed for this hitch (no WD ratings are provided). If a WD system is used anyway, I would suggest adjusting to a moderate setting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 09 Tundra and GCWR is not listed anywhere for my vehicle.

I did a little checking and saw where the feds were still working on the new standard after Oct 2012, so I guess implemented sometime after that. I think before GCVW was implemented, it was not required information and not generally available.

This thread has been educational for me, thanks for all the helpful posts.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I have 09 Tundra and GCWR is not listed anywhere for my vehicle.

I did a little checking and saw where the feds were still working on the new standard after Oct 2012, so I guess implemented sometime after that. I think before GCVW was implemented, it was not required information and not generally available.
GCWR is difficult to find for many vehicles; it is often not found in the owner's manual and is not included on the mandatory placard (notice GCWR is not on the Transit's placard, only GVWR). In some cases you can get it by asking the manufacturer (Ford supplied it for my Focus); otherwise it can be inferred from loading information in the owner's manual (such as the trailer weight allowed under various passenger and cargo loads).

Strangely, even my 2004 Sienna listed GCWR in the owner's manual; I have heard of later manuals which do not provide it, and Toyota seems to have downgraded information in some of their manuals, perhaps in response to complaints that manuals are too long.

On the other hand, the 2009 Tundra manual does include GCWR (starting on page 251)... it's just not on the placard mounted on the truck. For a 2009 4.7L Double Cab it says (on page 254) either 12,000 lb (5,440 kg) without the towing package or 13,500 lb (6,120 kg) with the towing package.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Pulled the 21' for the 1st time today with the new Transit. Seems to tow fine with just a simple hitch, so for the time being I'm going to forego the WDH.

One downside to the Transit as a TV is that the receiver is very low, so a riser hitch is needed. The left hand rear door can't be opened when the hitch is installed because it hits the ball. Bummer, but fortunately the right hand door clears the ball fine.

The 3.5L Ecoboost has more than enough get up and go. It accelerates while towing the 21' nearly as well as my 4Runner (4.7L V8) does empty.

Chas
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote