New tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 01-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
New tow vehicle

My plans were to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee this summer with another one. I have 100,000 ext warranty and planned on selling it at 95,000 so someone would have the extra 5,000 miles. I now have 90,000 miles and started looking for the replacement with 2 wheel drive and the 5.7 hemi engine. It appears that the 5.7 is only available in 4wd and higher trim levels(more money). I like the short length, short turn radius and power to pull quickly. I would buy the 150 crew cab if it was 3' shorter or the Ridgeline (I used to have one) if it offered 350+ lbs. of torque. I may have to just run the Jeep for another year or two and hope someone comes out with a non-diesel vehicle that is comparable to the GC.

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Tow rigs

Seems like there would be a market for the hemi and two wheel drive, especially in the warmer climates where snow is not a continuing consideration. When I bought my last Dakota and was looking at Dodge sites near the end of the model year, all the two wheel drive stuff was in Texas and the 4WD was in the North. Hope you can eventually find what you need. Kids just back from Florida and Hawaii. They flew all United. Clay had a 767, a plane he had done cockpit readout programming on for Rockwell.

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Many years ago I was driven to a business lunch in Houston by a local guy who was driving his Cadillac Escalade. I noted the 4WD switch on the dash and asked him why he chose 4WD in Houston... it seemed superfluous. He said that he didn't need it, didn't want it, and could only buy an Escalade (which he wanted for the size and luxury) with 4WD; he had pushed the button once to see if it worked, noted that a light came on and nothing bad happened, and turned it off again... never to be used again. I think he - and Jack - are in a common situation. Buyers of this sort of vehicle can afford 4WD and many want it even if they don't know how it works ("my SUV has more features than yours") so the rational buyer is likely to be stuck with it. The manufacturer cannot reasonably build every combination of equipment and the dealers can't keep them all in stock.

An additional technical issue is that with a very high power level compared to the mass of the vehicle, incompetent drivers have control problems in two-wheel-drive; a good 4WD system allows more power to be used without breaking traction and losing control. Even exotic sports cars have gone to 4WD for this reason.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Shortly after I bought my 02 Dakota, I happened upon a forum populated with young guys with Dakotas. They were so proud that they could smoke the front and back tires. Left me shaking my head. The four wheel drive thing in any configuration is to me a phenomenon where what once was a fairly rare option, overtook standard construction to the degree that you can't buy the old style in some cases. Power steering, AC, lock out front ends and several other options have done the same.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Trailer: None
Try and find a 2 wheel drive truck in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin. In most cases if you want a 2 wheel drive truck ,you need to order it or drive south. I seldom use the 4 wheel drive but it did come in handy when elk hunting in New Mexico. If I lived as far south as Iowa Dave , I might have considèred 2 wheel drive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Truck options

I had a 78 Bronco. Never used the 4WD all that much. Then three pickups that were two wheel drive and never had a problem. Could not find a Two wheel drive Dakota close by so bought the 4WD Dakota which upped my confidence so much I promptly put her in the ditch one morning. We get about 50 inches of snow in a heavy snow year but it's usually a few inches at a time. "Four wheel drive gets you in more trouble than it will get you out of" was the sage advice from my Dad who just keeps getting smarter as I age. (Gracefully I might add)
Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
I've had a four wheel drive of some kind since '78. I was the guy that always made it to work. It was a 30 mile trip to work. I've had my four wheel drive get me out of trouble but don't remember it ever getting me into trouble. Now that I'm retired I guess I don't really need it but like it has been said it's hard to find two wheel drives around here in Ohio.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I think it's more folks that expect 4wd to do more then it does that have problems. Seems the median gets filled with those little 4wd SUV things first couple snowfalls. 4wd trucks are a big thing around here for a male teens 1st vehicle. They've been known to slide off the road on occasion too, once in a while by accident.
Happy Motoring
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ford F-150 4wd are more expensive to insure (I PROMISE I'll never turn it on) and come with a 36 gal fuel tank. I didn't want either... sigh.
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We drove back from Snowshoe WV Friday through the big storm. We were in the Silverado and son in Grand Cherokee. Up and down the mountain, scary but got through. Passed more than one 2 wheel drive not able to get up the grades. When you need it, worth every penny.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote