Nissan Frontier - Comfort in the saddle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Great feedback everyone!

I was considering an attempt to find a bargain to close out my car lease and move into a Frontier as a TV however based on the candor in this thread I think I'd be more 'comfortable' with something a little less dated and spartan. I can still tow with my 2015 Explorer while I look at other options. - Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
"Comfortable" has to be the most subjective word in the English language. Doesn't matter if we're discussing mattresses, vehicle seats or how a vehicle rides down the road. The only way you'll know if something is comfortable is to experience it yourself. And I think everyone knows that...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"Comfortable" has to be the most subjective word in the English language. Doesn't matter if we're discussing mattresses, vehicle seats or how a vehicle rides down the road. The only way you'll know if something is comfortable is to experience it yourself. And I think everyone knows that...
There is truth in that statement.
Due to a partially fused back I have problems with a lot of seats.
I can't sit more than 20 minutes in a Corvette or I am in agony. But I can sit for hours in a Miata. Both have you almost on the floor but how I fit into the seat seems to matter.

A previous S15 gave me problems if I was in it very long but the Tacoma seat does not bother me. I owned an older Frontier (1998) and it did not bother my back. I have not tried a newer one so I have no idea of how my back would react to it.

So any vehicle I want to purchase I usually try to rent that model first and use it for a day to see if I have issues with it.
I bought a new 1998 Corolla that I ended up selling within a couple years because I did not do that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Maybe a second to "normal". I know that I am the epitome of normalcy, yet there are those out there who seem to disagree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
I was considering an attempt to find a bargain to close out my car lease and move into a Frontier as a TV however based on the candor in this thread I think I'd be more 'comfortable' with something a little less dated and spartan. I can still tow with my 2015 Explorer while I look at other options. - Dan
That’s a good plan, Dan. Our “Classic” 21, fully loaded and optioned weighs about 4100 lbs. Your new 21 will be 150-200 lbs. more. Still well within your 5000 lb. rating. We use the ProSeries WDH and the Tow/Haul mode for all towing, and have no problem in the Sierras, Rockies, or Appalachians. When traffic permits, we pass 90% of all trucks on steep grades, and we are not afraid to ‘step on it’ when necessary. It’s not a full size pick-up, but a full size pick-up is not an SUV, either. Giving yours a chance is not a bad idea.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
...with something a little less dated and spartan...
Ha, ha! And here I am still towing with my '93 Ford 150...no GPS, no phone service, no CD, no heated seats. I'm lucky it has wheels.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #27

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Comfort comes in many forms

Quote:
Donna, you are so right and I agree that comfort means something different to each of us, depending on our preferences. For instance, suppose I'm trying to save a bundle of cash and the bundle of cash in my wallet causes me sit unlevel, causing my back to hurt. . That same supposed savings may also be offset if my passenger does not like the ride in the "cheep seats" and her high pitch whine only adds to my discomfort . Then what am I to do So I guess as you suggest, in the end we all make our best decisions based on filtering the knowledge we collect. Happy camping to all!
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Ha, ha! And here I am still towing with my '93 Ford 150...no GPS, no phone service, no CD, no heated seats. I'm lucky it has wheels.
That 25 year old truck has more comfortable seats than many new vehicles today. Drive all day, no problem. There's spartan and then there's painful. [emoji23]
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That 25 year old truck has more comfortable seats than many new vehicles today. Drive all day, no problem. There's spartan and then there's painful. [emoji23]
Very comfortable in our 1992 Ford F-250 . Once Owned a 2002 Nissan Frontier and would of keep truck except for the 5 speed was awful in traffic .Loved how it handled and the seating . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, very comfortable. And I have only 99,000 miles on it so it's good for a while longer, plus it's getting to an age where people comment on it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Love the Frontier

I have a new 2017 Frontier after giving back a loaded 2016 Ford XLT. The Frontier is as gutsy pulling our 2010 Escape 15. It is not much lower than the 150, and is not a cushy or loaded with extras. It is easy to use everyday, very reliable, easy to load and unload, the ride is good for being a truck, the seats are fine (I have a heated pad for my back because it does not have heated seats). I couldn't be happier with this truck as it is everything I expected it to be, and even more powerful than I anticipated. Best of all,it was about $20K less that the 150, and $15K less than the Honda.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
I have a new 2017 Frontier after giving back a loaded 2016 Ford XLT. The Frontier is as gutsy pulling our 2010 Escape 15. It is not much lower than the 150, and is not a cushy or loaded with extras. It is easy to use everyday, very reliable, easy to load and unload, the ride is good for being a truck, the seats are fine (I have a heated pad for my back because it does not have heated seats). I couldn't be happier with this truck as it is everything I expected it to be, and even more powerful than I anticipated. Best of all,it was about $20K less that the 150, and $15K less than the Honda.
Had a 1994 Toyota pickup before the Nissan Frontier for 12 years . Then purchased used a 2002 Nissan Frontier . For how the Frontier handled and it's comfort really liked it much better then our Toyota . Both vehicles were the every day vehicles until the new Subaru Forester . Have had the 1992 F-250 XLT , second owner since 2003 to haul our camper , now the trailer . My brother buys new Ford trucks and I really find my old truck much nicer and comfortable . Really don't want or need all the tech stuff they come with . He buys the Platumin fancy with everything . I hope to keep the old girl for a long time . Less then 126,000 mi and get lots of looks and compliments when on the road and she does the job . Pat
Old 10-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Had a 1994 Toyota pickup before the Nissan Frontier for 12 years . Then purchased used a 2002 Nissan Frontier . For how the Frontier handled and it's comfort really liked it much better then our Toyota . Pat
I agree the Nissan Frontier is a better truck than a Toyota but that's setting the standard awfully low.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I agree the Nissan Frontier is a better truck than a Toyota but that's setting the standard awfully low.
Steve the Toyota was a 1994 and they were a lot smaller then they are today . You couldn't kill that truck , mechanically it was great . The fellow that bought it wanted the compression in the heads checked and he couldn't believe at almost 200,000 hardly any wear . Course I changed the oil regliously with Castrol . It was squirrelly at a fast stop . The Nissan had better paint and felt like I had more control . Because of the ladder frame I think . Really would of kept it but in traffic , my knees said no way . It was a 5 speed . Got to say though for a everyday driver the Subaru Forester we love . Pat
Old 10-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
The latest Frontier is very dated. If you get a bargain deal on it and it is comfortable, consider it. But for anywhere near MSRP, any newer mid size and any bargain of the month half ton is more modern and equally or more capable.
5 years ago Frontier easily held its weight. Now with a 5 speed automatic and a hefty curb weight in 4x4 trim and a cheap interior, for what they are going for locally is an insult.
Hopefully the upcoming redesign is good. I thought they were going to kill it like they did the Xterra, which was on my list about 4-5 years ago but couldn't afford at the time and my Ranger did everything the Xterra could do but seat 4 adults so I never made the plunge.

Keep in mind even a base V6 f150 super cab has almost the same curb weight, payload, and towing of a crew cab mid size truck. The 2.7 EcoBoost more so. Locally both versions of F150 are priced similar or less than an equivalent mid sized truck.