Nissan Frontier towing issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Yes. Kinda gives you an idea of what the truck can do. Not to many of us going to put our vehicles thru what these guys do. Its kinda fun to check a few of these out on a rainy day, they test out most of the pick ups. Hey thanks for the tip on the web address.

Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Come to think of it my '08 Buick Enclave with 6-speed trans used to dive into the highest gear and it was very annoying. I didn't tow with this vehicle. In reading recently about the 8-speed trans made by ZF and used by many including FCA with reports of software making shifting a problem I would look into that.

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 Casita
Our 2013 pathfinder does around 3000+ rpm going up steep grades. I think it's normal. The newer engines are designed to run at higher rpms. The ford eco-boost is a 2.7 liter engine must run at a higher speed to get its horsepower and torque.
Just take it slow don't. 18 wheelers go slow up steep grades and while getting on the highways everyday.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
We tow a 21 with our 2014 Frontier Pro4X 4x4. As the manual states, always lock out "overdrive" (5th gear) when towing. We fully expect to be in 3rd gear, with RPMs around 3K, going up steep grades, and the Fronty seems to do this appropriately when we hit the gas pedal as we head uphill. It will even downshift to 2nd on occasion of the grade is really steep and our speed isn't too high... this takes the RPMs up to around 3500. To us this seems like normal behavior for modern engines, and I though (but I could be wrong) that this gives us the torque we need.
I agree - that all sounds appropriate and normal. 3500 rpm is below but close to the peak engine torque speed of 4000 rpm (which is a good range for efficient power production) and still well below the speed for peak power production (5600 rpm). As long as you're getting as much power as you need, it's all working well.

If you are going up the grade as fast as you choose, you're getting the torque that you need to the wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
The newer engines are designed to run at higher rpms. The ford eco-boost is a 2.7 liter engine must run at a higher speed to get its horsepower and torque.
Yes, engine speed for peak power is higher than it was long ago, and higher than it is for much larger engines. The EcoBoost engines, on the other hand, are turbocharged so they don't need to spin faster to make more power than a non-turbo engine of the same size.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Come to think of it my '08 Buick Enclave with 6-speed trans used to dive into the highest gear and it was very annoying. I didn't tow with this vehicle. In reading recently about the 8-speed trans made by ZF and used by many including FCA with reports of software making shifting a problem I would look into that.
I think the shift problems are (or perhaps have been, since they may have been resolved in the Cherokee) with the 9-speed (9HP) rather than the 8-speed (8HP)... both of which are ZF designs (although FCA makes the 8HP themselves).
Old 03-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 to be hatched 2 Jan 18, previously 2006 17B
Suck it up Escapist.
Just had the vehicle into the dealer, the engine and transmission checked out with no faults. Can't afford or want to spend any more. I will have to remember to drive manually on grades, shift into and out of 3rd range in the mountains. I have always driven at or below the posted speed limits, especially when towing. Idea!! Lottery ticket, buy a diesel Titan?
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapist View Post
The transmission does not hold in 4th gear to the point I had to leave it in 3rd gear to hold reasonable speeds over the summits. Which means the engine is operating at 3,500 or more RPM which is extremely tiresome and noisy."
Don't feel bad- I took my Yukon in when I was noticing delayed upshifts in CO last year. Only cost me $105 to learn all was OK and by the way here is a Service Bulletin on when and how to best use Tow Mode. Actually had some great info on the whole system including engine grade braking.

So now you know- and it goes back to Reace's advice that at first sounded like a dodge to me but makes complete sense: When asked what he recommends for a tow vehicle the stock answer by he and Dennis is "That depends on what your expectations are". You can use a V-6 but have to adapt to managing RPMs and tolerating the sound associated with achieving needed torque when climbing.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 17B 2017
Good advice, thanks rossue.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Not sure what they are thinking, but Nissan is running ads in Vancouver market for a new model sedan.
They show it alongside a travel trailer that appears to prevent it from passing on the right, which it continues to do, by racing through a construction zone and eventually overtaking the RV.
Oh, and it has a stupid name.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote