Nissan Xterra towing escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: Nissan Xterra off-road 6spd manual
Nissan Xterra towing escape 19

We will be getting our escape 19 in April and will be towing it with a Nissan xterra. The xterra has a max tow weight of 5000 lbs and tongue weight of 500 lbs. I'm wondering if we need a weight distribution hitch or not. Anyone out there with an xterra towing a 19? What do you use and how does it work for you?

John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Does Nissan make any recommendations about WDH in the manual? That's is what I always recommend checking first.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just curious: which generation of Xterra is this? The first one (1999 to 2004) or the later one (2005 and later)? Anyone's experience will only really be relevant if they have the same generation, since there are substantial differences and some of them matter to towing behaviour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: Nissan Xterra off-road 6spd manual
Thanx for the Q's. I'm a little embarrassed for not supplying more info. We have a 2010 xterra, that's 2nd generation. The Nissan Towing guide that year stated WD hitches recommended for frontier, and pathfinder IF you plan to tow over 5000 lb loads. So for the Xterra towing under 5000 lbs, no WD is recommended as necessary.
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Thanx for the Q's. I'm a little embarrassed for not supplying more info. We have a 2010 xterra, that's 2nd generation. The Nissan Towing guide that year stated WD hitches recommended for frontier, and pathfinder IF you plan to tow over 5000 lb loads. So for the Xterra towing under 5000 lbs, no WD is recommended as necessary.
Hi: John David... If it were me I'd try it without first...but then I'm a little Scottish too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Your Xterra is comparable in some ways to my Toyota FJ Cruiser which also has a 5000 lb tow rating. I found that even though my FJ could tow the 19' Escape no problem, because of the relatively short wheel-base a small amount of sag on the rear due to the trailer resulted in my headlights shining in the eyes of all on-coming traffic. Thus, I added a WD hitch which eliminated the sagging and made driving a bit more comfortable. Even though your Xterra is likely a very capable trailer for the 19', it is possible that you could have similar issues with your Xterra as I had with the FJ.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
John, from my experience with our Tacoma and 17B, a WDH greatly improved the ride. But others have towed without one and are perfectly satisfied. Like some others here, we will (someday) be towing a 21 with a new Highlander and I plan on buying a new WDH from Reace (whichever model he recommends) when we pick it up.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Dave's reasoning makes sense to me. Fortunately, the Xterra has a longer wheelbase (reducing both load transfer to the rear axle and the tilting effect), but on the hand it probably has a bit longer rear overhang (the FJ Cruiser is exceptionally short in the back; more overhang exaggerates the these problems). Pickups have much longer wheelbase, so they're not very comparable.

I think there are enough differences between vehicles that it's worth continuing to look for someone with a 2005 or newer Xterra for their specific experience. I would also get axle loads (weights) at a scale, and measure the distance from the rear axle to the towing ball so I could do the quick calculations to see what the result will be with the trailer.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
We have a 19 and pull it with a 2013 XTerra.

The combination works very well for us. We bought the 19 used and it came with a WDH. We've thus towed almost exclusively with the WDH. I have driven without the it, for a few miles, and it was fine. But I think with the WDH the vehicle tracks a little straighter. It's safe without but personally, if I were buying new, I'd order with a WDH.

We towed with a Tacoma before buying the XTerra. They were very similar pulling the 19.

But we need more details. What color is your XTerra? Automatic or Manual? Trim level?

Hope this helps.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
But we need more details. What color is your XTerra? Automatic or Manual?
My guess is that it is an automatic transmission, since a manual would not likely have the 5,000 pound trailer capacity.