Off the Ball - connection issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm curious why you didn't hook it up yourself, and if you have an electric jack.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Better to have the ball slightly forward so that you pull onto it when lowering down - helps to prevent a "false hitch".
That's exactly the procedure I use to attach my '21 - position the ball about 1/2 inch forward of the center line of the socket. The trailer hitch catches, then drops with a bit of momentum and the trailer moves forward a tiny bit. The latch then closes without using any force. Obviously the rig must be on level ground for this to work.

Before I learned this trick it seemed to take a dozen tries to get the latch down to the fully closed position.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It certainly seems like the coupler was properly latched, and did not fail in any way... but the jaw of the coupler was sitting on top of the ball, instead of under it. This would not have passed either a basic visual inspection or a "pull up" test, so the person doing this didn't do it properly or explain it properly to the new owner.

It would have been more appropriate for the new owner to do the hook-up with instruction from the delivery person; that would force the delivery person to explain the procedure and the error probably wouldn't have occurred. I would not let someone else hook up my trailer, unless I was watching each step and checking it myself; it's easier to just do it than to monitor someone else.

This problem is both more likely and less visually obvious with the style of latch which Kent showed than with the yoke style which has also been used by Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #24

I even double check my buddy if he's helping me, and he owns his own Escape 19'.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Like the others, I'm so pleased that all ended well. What I find interesting - when we picked up our trailer (March 2016), the fellow that hauled it across the border insisted that I do the hook-up. I was new with trailering - and struggled with my first time - but the gentleman was patient and allowed me to struggle. When I was done, he gave me a few pointers to make it a little easier but I appreciated his desire for me to learn how to properly connect. In the 3+ years we've enjoyed camping, there have been several times when I lowered the hitch onto the ball that "something" wasn't right - and in each case the ball had "nested" above the catch (probably not the right term). I can see how it could happen that you weren't attached. But the experienced Escape guy should have caught that IMO.
I hope you enjoy your trailer as much as we do.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #26

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
This actually is common problem and ETI should have never stated what they did. The problem is the catch that traps the ball into the ball socket can be pushed up by the ball when lowering the tongue onto the ball.

Normally this happens when the ball is biased to the rear of the ball socket and when you lower the tongue, the ball pushes the catch up and behind the ball in the socket thus giving false connection as the latch will fold down.

Two ways to confirm you are hitched;

As already stated lower the tongue jack until the rear of truck starts to rise. If you are not hitched correctly the tongue will pop off the ball mount.

Another way is to just look underneath and make sure the catch is underneath the ball and not pushed up behind the ball.

Thank your for the visual. Having never towed and knowing nothing about hooking up a trailer, that was extremely helpful. Thanks again!
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
I can’t believe some of you are going on about the text in the original post. Jim addressed it politely, it was fixed, let it go! What I would expect to see is “Oh my gosh! How scary for you! I’m so glad you’re okay and secondly, the trailer was okay. Were you able to figure out what the issue is so it doesn’t happen again.” The rest is small stuff!
Whenever there is a post that suggests that ETI might have been less than perfect a gang of old timers will try to hijack the conversation. Fortunately, ETI will respond positively.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #28

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Whenever there is a post that suggests that ETI might have been less than perfect a gang of old timers will try to hijack the conversation.
So, are you suggesting that there is a conspiracy to protect ETI's reputation here on this forum?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Doesn't seem to be as bad as it had been a few years ago, but yeah there has been lots of examples of people being essentially ridiculed in the past for bringing various issues. Many of them turned out to be legitimate with ETI in several cases doing an about turn in their original position. Fan boys, koolaid drinking have all taken a lot of bytes.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
So, are you suggesting that there is a conspiracy to protect ETI's reputation here on this forum?
Personally, I don’t think ETIs reputation needs protection. Their work speaks for itself. We own and like the trailers. But there is a gang of boosters who have a misplaced need to attack anyone who voices a legitimate question about the trailers. They don’t have confidence that ETI can defend their product, which, I believe, ETI always has.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Where does personal responsibility start and stop? I think that's the big question.

When I bought Ten Forward and Dennis (Tammy's Dad) met me at Bob's, we talked about 'hooking up.' He left with me and my truck and trailer about 10 feet apart. Dennis had to get back to Chilliwack quickly to hookup another trailer and get it across the border before the Commercial Lanes closed for the day. I sweated bullets for 45 minutes to an hour. Here I had a brand new truck, had never hooked up, let alone towed a 5th wheel. BUT I had researched 'positive latch on a 5th wheel.' I took me about 45 minutes, moving about 3 inches at a time, in and out of the truck to KNOW everything was good. Because I knew, through research, if the trailer became disconnected from the hitch, it could fall and maybe crush the bed rails and perhaps bend the tailgate badly. I had only made ONE payment on the truck! IF that happened, who's to blame? Guess what, I learned a long time ago to quit pointing fingers, unless I'm standing in front of a mirror...

Sway happens... how many people towing trailers KNOW what to do if what you're towing starts doing the lane dance? How about going downhill and brakes go out? Knowledge is power and the more you know the better you'll make good/better decisions.

Please be safe, you're sharing the roads with the rest of us.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I bought Ten Forward and Dennis (Tammy's Dad) met me at Bob's, we talked about 'hooking up.' .

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D
...When I bought Ten Forward and Dennis (Tammy's Dad) met me.... He left with me and my truck and trailer about 10 feet apart. Dennis had to get back to Chilliwack quickly to hookup another trailer and get it across the border before the Commercial Lanes closed for the day. ..
Yeah, when I arrived for pickup Manfred wanted to split immediately. I asked him to spot me while backing up to the ball then he was outta there. Am surprised the dropoff driver hitched up the OP's trailer- bet that won't happen again; was he in a hurry too?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Thanks DT6 for sharing your experience. It has helped me better appreciate the importance of checking and rechecking for proper connection.

I like the idea of looking underneath to confirm.

Besides that ... really glad to hear there were no injuries or damage.

Good success and safe travels ahead
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #35

If you use a weight distribution hitch, it's common practice to raise the hitch with the jack to make it easier to install or remove the WDH bars. You would immediately discover that the latch was not engaged as you begin to raise it.

You'll also discover that you should have ordered the electric jack so you don't have to crank it up and down, and up and down.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Thank you for passing on the details and glad you both were ok!

Years of assembling and disassembling trains had already ingrained the need to double check my trailer to truck connections but having the trailer come unhitched going down the road was still my primary fear upon taking possession of our trailer.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Reading the OP's comments was like deja vu. We have towed our 19' and now our 21' for many miles without an issue (knock on wood). We just completed a two week round trip up north and, while hooking back up a few days into the journey, had a similar thing happen with the hitch and ball (but not as drastic as the OP's). We lowered the hitch onto the ball and locked the pin in place. While trying to get the WDH bars on, we were having a heck of a time so, as Dennis suggested during our pick-up, we raised the hitch up a bit (electric jack). Surprise, surprise!!! The hitch popped off the ball!! Needless to say, we were more than a little shocked . It took a while to calm down and assess what we may have done wrong but, even after hitching up again and making sure we were truly connected, it took a few miles down the road before we were comfortable. To be sure, from that point on, we always raised up the hitch and truck together to be sure of a solid connection. (We may have even become a bit compulsive about it ... )

Naturally, the incident is still on our minds so I can only imagine what the OP went through since this was their first trip with their new trailer. We are so thankful that no one was hurt, nothing was damaged and, trust me, empathize with you and your rattled nerves. Plus, a big THANK YOU to Kent for posting a detailed explanation of what probably happened.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I keep my foam pad handy, get down on my knees and check the connection EVERY time I am hooking up.Did have an incident years ago with my 17.Just have to be 100 % sure for peace of mind.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #39

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Not a fan of this type of hitch (have one on a utility trailer). Kent's description is spot on. Glad that you came out of it unharmed.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #40

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Losing a trailer has never happened to me, but I have heard firsthand accounts from two different people now. I always felt like I could see and feel when the hitch up was right or questionable and had become complacent the last few years about jacking the trailer up again to double check. No longer. Thanks for the good shake.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, towing