"Old" tow vehicles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
"Old" tow vehicles

I've just come in from watching the parade of show cars cruise by -- our community hosts a huge Show 'n' Shine every Fathers Day WE (yep, the one Oprah talked about as one of the ten best ways to spend a Fathers Day), and I'm dreaming/drooling.

Begs the question: is it feasible to tow an Escape with something like, say, a '63 Impala or, my favourite one seen tonight, a baby blue with white interior '67 Olds 442 convertible?

Forget all about software in cars, drive-by-wire, turn a console knob to shift gears . . . Go back to REAL cars.

I'm not talking about in parades, I'm talking about as an (almost)every-day driver.

In that era, people routinely pulled what I suspect were much heavier travel trailers. There's a strong temptation to buy said Impala or Olds instead of (well, OK, in addition to!) an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Check out CanAm for towing sedans. Would think both of those you mentioned would be just fine. That old '62 Buick Invicta wagon my dad owned woulda done the trick for sure.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
....an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
I'm crushed! Boring? Nah. 18 plus feet of Platinum White Metallic Turbocharged leatherbound gorgeousness....
Attached Thumbnails
2015 F150 4x2.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm nostalgic for those days,
of being broken down on some deserted road.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I've just come in from watching the parade of show cars cruise by -- our community hosts a huge Show 'n' Shine every Fathers Day WE (yep, the one Oprah talked about as one of the ten best ways to spend a Fathers Day), and I'm dreaming/drooling.

Begs the question: is it feasible to tow an Escape with something like, say, a '63 Impala or, my favourite one seen tonight, a baby blue with white interior '67 Olds 442 convertible?

Forget all about software in cars, drive-by-wire, turn a console knob to shift gears . . . Go back to REAL cars.

I'm not talking about in parades, I'm talking about as an (almost)every-day driver.

In that era, people routinely pulled what I suspect were much heavier travel trailers. There's a strong temptation to buy said Impala or Olds instead of (well, OK, in addition to!) an F150 or Highlander or something boring like that.
Hi: maurerl... There's a member here who tows a 19'er with a 50's Chevy... sometimes!!! Don't know how dependable a tug it is though.
In St. Thomas there's a fellow tuggin' a 17'er with a late 40's Chev Fleetwood and also an old F150 I think Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:

About a little over a decade ago I re-discovered Tear Drop Trailers. Was living in N. California taking car of a little family business when I fell hopelessly in love. She was a red 1950 Chevrolet convertible in slightly better condition than I, as in perfect - flawless condition .... but unlike me she was for sale. She could be mine for only $80,000. I walked away with more than just a casual glance over my shoulder..... broken hearted. Now that was a car!

In California, the classic car people like to gather in Supermarket parking lots for weekend shows. To watch over their cars, they like to camp out in Teardrops. Can be quite a sight on both levels.

In general most older cars had poor brakes .... at least by todays standard. Towing would have to be cautious at best and in their day your mates on the freeway allowed you to have a proper following distance.

I understand that lust.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Now this is a discussion I like and understand!

Of course you can tow with a classic... within reason. Most vehicles to early 1970s (and beyond) are no longer original under the hood. Changes may have been made due to inability to find repairable stock parts or desire for safety and speed. Just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

While there is a certain desire to remain original, lots of vehicles just aren't any longer. Newer motors, transmissions, brakes, etc. drives street machine owners to upgrade.

I belong to a club with over 40 trucks, 1953-1956 Ford F-100s. Some are screaming machines, everything from small block V8s to 454s. There's a huge difference between driving a straight axle truck to one with independent suspension. I own a 1953 Ford Panel, the flathead is long gone. Now a 302, C4, disc brakes and 9" rearend. I could tow anything Escape builds except the 5er.

So, if you desire a classic, just pay attention to what's under the hood and below the floor. If you find the vehicle of your dreams, you may need to make some drivetrain changes. Then be prepared to spend some big bucks. Oh boy it can be expensive.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Henrys1.jpg   Henrys2.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Classic car for show,
newer truck (or SUV) for tow?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Of course you can tow with a classic... within reason. Most vehicles to early 1970s (and beyond) are no longer original under the hood. Changes may have been made due to inability to find repairable stock parts or desire for safety and speed. Just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

While there is a certain desire to remain original, lots of vehicles just aren't any longer. Newer motors, transmissions, brakes, etc. drives street machine owners to upgrade.

I belong to a club with over 40 trucks, 1953-1956 Ford F-100s. Some are screaming machines, everything from small block V8s to 454s. There's a huge difference between driving a straight axle truck to one with independent suspension. I own a 1953 Ford Panel, the flathead is long gone. Now a 302, C4, disc brakes and 9" rearend. I could tow anything Escape builds except the 5er.

So, if you desire a classic, just pay attention to what's under the hood and below the floor. If you find the vehicle of your dreams, you may need to make some drivetrain changes. Then be prepared to spend some big bucks. Oh boy it can be expensive.

Best of luck!
Hi: Donna D... Donna's "Outstanding in her field"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm crushed! Boring? Nah. 18 plus feet of Platinum White Metallic Turbocharged leatherbound gorgeousness....
Apologies to rbryan if you didn't realize my tongue was firmly in cheek with my "boring" comment! Even more so because you've been kind enough with helpful advice for this newbie.

There's also a large dose of sour grapes in my comment. Being a Ford guy (Ranger), I'd love your tow -- but in my neck of the woods, it'd set me back around 80 grand by the time I figured in the 15% sales tax we have to swallow (I've just been quoted $69k after discounts & incentives for Platinum EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab -- ouch!)
Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Best of luck!
A friend of Wendy's was just by for a quick visit, she's in town for the above-mentioned Show 'n' Shine, with her '46 Ford convertible. I didn't have a chance to get into the mechanical specifics, but I did notice, while the womenfolk were visiting, that this beauty had a Class III hitch & a 7-pin wiring connector -- along with dual exhaust, tan leather upholstery, & a flat wire-spoke steering wheel 3 feet in diameter!

Dream.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
"Old" tow vehicles

Quote:
There's also a large dose of sour grapes in my comment. Being a Ford guy (Ranger), I'd love your tow -- but in my neck of the woods, it'd set me back around 80 grand by the time I figured in the 15% sales tax we have to swallow (I've just been quoted $69k after discounts & incentives for Platinum EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab -- ouch!)

Wow, I thought 49K was sky high! No need for sour grapes though -- you get to live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, whilst I do not!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Trust me, you don't even want to know what it costs to bring old iron into this century. Paint and modifications to the drive train. OMG. $70 thousand not including the trailer maybe just a drop in the bucket...

I have friends that were spending $32 an ounce for paint (think shot glass) ... and that was in 2003 dollars. Not including labor!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
If you're going to tow with a vintage vehicle, you need a vintage trailer.

An Escape just would not look right.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My father brought his wife and son (me) cross country from New Jersey to California in 1952, in a 1952 Chevrolet sedan, towing a 30' trailer, fully equipped. He had custom-made a gooseneck bar that fit on a hitch ball mounted in the trunk, over the rear axle. The folks really associated with the Long Long Trailer when it came out.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
My father brought his wife and son (me) cross country from New Jersey to California in 1952, in a 1952 Chevrolet sedan, towing a 30' trailer, fully equipped. He had custom-made a gooseneck bar that fit on a hitch ball mounted in the trunk, over the rear axle. The folks really associated with the Long Long Trailer when it came out.
Wow, Bob. I wonder how many people have this same story?
In 1948, my parents brought me from the Northeast to Los Angeles, using a 1940 Ford to tow a 27 ft. trailer (It had a ducktail back end). They left Buffalo, NY in a snowstorm, and arrived some weeks later in sunny So.Cal.
We lived in the trailer until they bought a home 2 years later.

And, yes, for years, we watched "The Long Trailer" whenever it came on TV.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Wow, Bob. I wonder how many people have this same story?
In 1948, my parents brought me from the Northeast to Los Angeles, using a 1940 Ford to tow a 27 ft. trailer (It had a ducktail back end). They left Buffalo, NY in a snowstorm, and arrived some weeks later in sunny So.Cal.
We lived in the trailer until they bought a home 2 years later.

And, yes, for years, we watched "The Long Trailer" whenever it came on TV.
Don 1948 from Rochester , New York but on a plane but you guessed it to a trailer to live for couple years . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Interesting! Either of you have pictures?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Yeah, photos are somewhere. If I ever dig them them out I'll re-open this thread.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Interesting! Either of you have pictures?
Yeah, but it's in a shoe box, next to other shoe boxes, inside a bigger cardboard box in the garage.
It's part of the "we're going to sort these, and scan them, and organize them" family photo archive project.
I'll give it a shot.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote