Parking 17 on a steep driveway - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Parking 17 on a steep driveway

Picking up a 17 in early Nov and trying to figure out where to keep it. The only logical place without putting it into storage is our driveway... Problem is that it is steep - like really steep. Picture doesn't do it much justice, but it is in the 15 - 16 degree range. Would that pitch worry anyone as dangerous for the trailer or the tow vehicle?

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_5250.jpg  
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I wonder what the limits are of chocks. If you are comfortable with their hold ability, an additional issue is to not stress the transmission by shoving it into park and expect it to hold the trailer. I would suggest placing the chocks while the tug is engaged and the foot brakes are holding the trailer, then let the trailer sag back into the chocks, and finally shift into park.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My driveway is nowhere near that steep and I have to extend the tongue jack all the way to get the trailer level to pre-cool the fridge prior to a trip.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
One problem you may encounter is that the truck and trailer are not on the same plane. My driveway is not that steep (and is long enough to be able to park both tug and tow) but they are also not on the same plane. Sometimes I have a heck of a time hitching the trailer as the clearance between the ball and coupler is minuscule. I've almost been reduced to tears at times trying to get the coupler to drop over the ball so that the lever can be engaged. It's challenging.

Edited: And what Glenn said except I've added blocks under the jack to help with this issue.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may have to park it parallel to the road in your driveway to operate the refer on propane, otherwise it is too steep.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yowza! Karen addressed exactly what I was thinking might be the case, but she has real life experience with a similar situation. I would stack mattresses all across the garage entry and raise the door before I tried it.
What's out the back wall of the garage?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Dave,
We park our 17A by our driveway, that's sloped 1:8 down toward the street. The slope is not a problem as long as you don't run the frig.
When we need to pre-cool the frig., I jack up the tongue, in stages, using a jack stand and a bunch of blocks, to level it.
In your case, it won't be possible unless the trailer wheels were parked on some substantial blocks. Probably the best course is, pre-trip, park on the street the day before, level it, then run the frig. to pre-cool.
After looking at your photo, I think I'd at least store it parked on a set of 2x10 ramps/blocks with very substantial chocks at the back., something like these ramps in the photo but with much more substantial chocks. They are 2x10's about 2 ft. long with a gentle 30° cut at the end, so the wheels roll up instead of shove the ramps along the ground. The orange and black is a rubber chock from harbor freight.
((I park the trailer with the one side on these ramps, so it's level side-to-side, for running the frig.. There's a black stripe on the concrete, so I can position the ramp correctly. when I back up , I can aim for the ramp, and avoid hitting other stuff around the garage.))
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4679.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Picking up a 17 in early Nov and trying to figure out where to keep it. The only logical place without putting it into storage is our driveway... Problem is that it is steep - like really steep. Picture doesn't do it much justice, but it is in the 15 - 16 degree range. Would that pitch worry anyone as dangerous for the trailer or the tow vehicle?

Thanks,

Dave

I think I'd be a little worried about the house. From your photo it looks like street level is almost at top of garage door. Is that right or an optical illusion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I think I'd be a little worried about the house. From your photo it looks like street level is almost at top of garage door. Is that right or an optical illusion?

You are absolutely correct... that is solid 10 foot drop over a short driveway. I might have to find a better spot for it, was just hoping not to put in right in front of the house. That is actually an option, just not a very attractive one.

Thanks-
Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Dave,
We park our 17A by our driveway, that's sloped 1:8 down toward the street. The slope is not a problem as long as you don't run the frig.
When we need to pre-cool the frig., I jack up the tongue, in stages, using a jack stand and a bunch of blocks, to level it.
In your case, it won't be possible unless the trailer wheels were parked on some substantial blocks. Probably the best course is, pre-trip, park on the street the day before, level it, then run the frig. to pre-cool.
After looking at your photo, I think I'd at least store it parked on a set of 2x10 ramps/blocks with very substantial chocks at the back., something like these ramps in the photo but with much more substantial chocks. They are 2x10's about 2 ft. long with a gentle 30° cut at the end, so the wheels roll up instead of shove the ramps along the ground. The orange and black is a rubber chock from harbor freight.
((I park the trailer with the one side on these ramps, so it's level side-to-side, for running the frig.. There's a black stripe on the concrete, so I can position the ramp correctly. when I back up , I can aim for the ramp, and avoid hitting other stuff around the garage.))
Really interesting Don and thanks for sending- I might have to do something REALLY custom to make this driveway a safe spot.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Really interesting Don and thanks for sending- I might have to do something REALLY custom to make this driveway a safe spot.
Being out front in the open, I wouldn't do anything without a building permit, and that might be difficult to obtain.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Being out front in the open, I wouldn't do anything without a building permit, and that might be difficult to obtain.
Good call - you need a permit for just about anything here....
Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks,

Dave

If I did the math right a drive way with a 16 degree rise would put your hitch about 4'10" higher than your bumper. Would put a 30 ' driveway at close to top of garage door. If your tow was still on the street I think you'd have a real problem unhitching. That 1:8 driveway referred to above is only 7 degrees. Guessing he needs maybe 2' of blocking to level his trailer.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
You are absolutely correct... that is solid 10 foot drop over a short driveway. I might have to find a better spot for it, was just hoping not to put in right in front of the house. That is actually an option, just not a very attractive one.

Thanks-

If you attempt to park trailer in your drive way you really should consider anchoring your chocks down to the driveway. I have seen parked cars slide down driveways not as steep as yours.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:

Thanks-

If the driveway is long enough to get trailer and tug on the same plane it could work. I'd figure out where the wheels wind up and set up a removable curb, maybe a 6x6. Set a couple of steel pipes sunk flush with surface and you anchor 6x6 with rebar into pipes. Pull rebar out remove 6x when you need full access to drive.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
...k. I'd figure out where the wheels wind up and set up a removable curb, maybe a 6x6. Set a couple of steel pipes sunk flush with surface and you anchor 6x6 with rebar into pipes. Pull rebar out remove 6x when you need full access to drive.

Now there's an excellent idea.

(This is what this forum's all about!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Dave, If your drive was mine, I'd install a couple pad eyes into my drive concrete. With luck maybe you could use your trailer safety chains to connect. Some marine pad eyes can fold flat so there wouldn't be a bump (or much of one) in drive surface. Set fastenings into the concrete with epoxy - likely your drive is 3" - 4" thick. I doubt very much that you would need a building permit.

Recommend parking trailer in drive and mark drive for both chock location and pad eye location - leave plenty of slack in chains for hooking and unhooking the chains as well as being able to get off the coupling. Careful with chock design as if you are putting wood under trailer tire there might not be enough friction between the wood and drive to hold trailer .... especially in rain and or freezing temperatures. This is when the pad eyes could save your proverbial bacon. A lower cost alternative could be a 1/2" hot dipped galvanized eye bolt ( set with epoxy) if you didn't mind a bit of a bump to drive over.

Eye bolt: Look for one that has the eye metal continuous ... ie not just bent in a circle.

Epoxy: Go to a good lumber yard and search in the Simpson bracket area. You will find a Simpson epoxy caulking tube ... about $24.00. The tube has a mixer in the tip. You will need a caulking gun for application.

Process: Drill hole in concrete a little larger than eye bolt shaft with a carbide tip drill bit. An ordinary drill motor should work but sometimes concrete is too hard - then you will need a hammer drill and should be rentable. Vacuum out hole or use an air compressor (protect eyes). Fill hole with epoxy and smear some on bolt threads ... insert bolt and wipe up excess. Repeat with other bolt. Allow to set 24 hours. Should you want to remove, heat bolt to above 350 degrees F with a propane torch, clean out old epoxy and apply new epoxy, trowel flat.

Sorry if you already know how to do this .... no way to know about your experience.

Tom
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I'm not sure if this is a solution, but here are the burliest chocks I found while looking:

https://www.amazon.com/Rage-Powerspo...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Supposedly, they use them on fire trucks.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave
Do you have room on the right side of your driveway (when facing your house) to build up the soil (install a retaining wall maybe) and park your Escape between your house and the fence? That would give you more room for tow vehicle setup and could possibly be a flat area.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
Do you have room on the right side of your driveway (when facing your house) to build up the soil (install a retaining wall maybe) and park your Escape between your house and the fence? That would give you more room for tow vehicle setup and could possibly be a flat area.
Now we are talking.... that is an amazing idea- thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the great ideas and detail also-