Pick up vs SUV - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
I remember having to replace a few half-shafts & CV joints on a Saab. Don't agree any FWD trans unit is as durable as a truck-sized trans/differential, but you might come up with some facts to refute.
I also believe that a traditional definition of SUV is body on frame vs. unibody design. Much has been discussed here regarding that, however as far as strength of a drive train I think it is a stretch to say a unibody's is as durable or capable as a truck or its SUV equivelant.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Ah yes, vehicle conversion, brought to mind a time when a couple of boys plugged into an outside outlet on one of the park restrooms Late one night. Outlet should have been off but wasn't. They were using a sawzall to convert their sedan into a convertible. Police wanted to know if we wanted to press charges, I let them go when they loaded the top crossways in the back seat and the P.D. followed them home. Always wondered what dad said. We like the Highlander for our tow but it's hard for me to load dirty stuff in the back when camping. Firewood comes to mind. Nice ride, pretty good mileage, good in snow and rain, 2wd pickups, not so good without weight in the back.
Off topic, but this hits close to my heart. One weekend, while my parents were out of town my brother and I welded the doors shut and cut the top off off my '74 beetle. Greatest car I've ever owned.

Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Holy cow! Lots of interesting takes on this.
Here's some backround on the question. We finished our remodeling etc. and sold my pick up years ago. Haven't missed it for a day since.
However, now were considering tow vehicles. I think my wife has fallen in love with a pick up, while I think an SUV will be more practical for us during camping trips & towing.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #34

Hi Jim- the good news for you is that with a 17B you can have a good tow experience with some "SUV's" that are really crossovers. The couple who bought our 17B didnt like the tow with a CX-9 fyi; love their new F150, however we liked how our 2013 Highlander(4WD) performed with it.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I think my wife has fallen in love with a pick up, while I think an SUV will be more practical for us during camping trips & towing.
Nothing to do with the camping portion of your purchase decision, but get her to take it to the grocery store for a test drive.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #36

Susan doesn't particularly enjoy driving the Yukon, however if she is driving to go visit her sister in LA guess which vehicle she takes?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #37

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
What I like about the highlander is that it does not ride like my truck it has a softer ride but does a very good job of hauling my trailer kinda seems like an SUV to me but what do I know.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I tow my 21 with a Tacoma that has a hard cover over the bed. I live in a rural area so I needed a pickup to take trash to the dump, etc., otherwise I would have considered another type of vehicle. Although my Tacoma pulls the trailer very well, I think that an SUV that was a bit heavier over the rear wheels than a pickup is would be more stable, towing and not towing. Again, I haven't noticed a stability problem but in theory an SUV should be more stable, I would think.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
In my opinion, for what it is worth, a pickup truck with an extended/crew cab is more versatile than any SUV. I find the F150 far more comfortable on a trip than my wife's Honda CRV, even though the CRV is used for most of our local excursions.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In my opinion, for what it is worth, a pickup truck with an extended/crew cab is more versatile than any SUV. I find the F150 far more comfortable on a trip than my wife's Honda CRV, even though the CRV is used for most of our local excursions.
Maybe its because I'm getting old and fat, but I agree with you Carl. We love the interior room and comfort of the F150 - it makes the miles fly by, and we don't arrive sore or cramped.