Picking the right tow vehicle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #41

Yeah, the folding seat ( it's huge !) in the back of our F-150 SuperCrew takes up so little room when it's folded, I would never think of removing it. We use that huge area all the time for moving things, but it's usually our dog's domain.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Our new truck is a SuperCab so it won't have as much room. Still much more than our Ranger has. Even if I don't need the space I'll probably take them out anyway, no sense dragging around dead weight for years. The seats in the Ranger did weigh quite a bit. Speaking of which, I'll have to remember to put the seats back in the Ranger before I take it to the dealer when we get our new truck. They've been in the store room for 7 years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I took this picture of my Tacoma AccessCab shortly after getting it, I should take a similar pic of my F250 SuperCab.

note that with the seat bottoms folded forward/down like they are in the picture, there's both storage under those black plastic covers, AND room under the seat bottom for a 'truck box' sized toolbox on each side, and you can pile quite a lot on the flat space above.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #44

Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 5th wheel
We tow with a Nissan fronter with the v6 and it tow perfect we are pulling a 20 foot 5th wheel
Pvreeker10@live.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We pulled our 2010 Escape 19 with a 2012 F150 Ecoboost 3.5. It was a great combination. There wasn't a hill I couldn't go up at the speed limit (or higher if I had wanted to). Wish I still had that truck, but it was a bit overmatched for the larger trailer we unexpectedly ended up with.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
I’ve got a Ram 1500 with eco-diesel and love it! Towing a 21 Escape and getting about 23mpg! Plenty of room to throw stuff in back.
covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #47

Trailer: 2002 Born Free RB
You live in an area with MANY dealerships. I know, I live in the same area. When I was looking for my last vehicle, I went on to Edmunds.com to get the "True Values" for my trade and for the car I was interested in. No sooner did I hit the send button, than every dealer in the area was contacting me. Played them against each other to get a good deal. Ended up beating the price of the first dealer that I went to before doing that by $3000. I told that dealer to give me his best price, and not to play games. I didn't think he had. He said he was going to have sell my 5 yo top-of-the-line T&C minivan at auction because it had been T-boned by a deer. I left. When I told that dealer that I had gotten a lower price by going to several other dealers he said "that's not right, because another dealer is always going to beat the price you give him." Hello, what's "not right" about that?
Bonnie McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by covey View Post
I’ve got a Ram 1500 with eco-diesel and love it! Towing a 21 Escape and getting about 23mpg! Plenty of room to throw stuff in back.
You are getting 23mpg towing or not hitched? That seems very good and high...
Old 09-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Hi,
I could not find a topic for this (specifically), so if there is one please let me know before getting a new one going.
We just purchased a new Escape 19 (yea!). We were purchasing an F150 2.7L V6 w/tow pkg but walked away from a crooked Ford dealer before taking delivery. Now we are opening up our search for a tow vehicle. My question is this: Is it reasonable to consider the small/mid-sizes trucks like a Nissan Frontier or Chevy Colorado for this trailer?
From what I researched the Escape 19 is about 4,000 pounds loaded, and between my wife, our dog, and the rest of our gear in the truck bed we are probably another 1,000 pounds.
Again if this is covered elsewhere, please let me know, otherwise advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Our first tow vehicle was a Dodge Dakota, the truck was more than enough power wise.
The problem with a Dakota, is cab room. A beautiful truck, lots of power, but not enough room, when on a rough road.

We purchased a Dodge Laramie Longhorn, close to 400 horse power, Hemi engine.
Runs on for cylinders when eight are not required. Six ton trailer hitch.
Really a bit of overkill for a small trailer like the Escape 19.
The Escape 19, is exactly the same width, as the truck.
With a load leveler hitch, tracks exactly behind the truck.

The beauty of this truck is more than enough inside cab room, runs more like a sports car, really!.
Very quiet in the cab, five speed transmition. Loads of storage room, under the seats as well as the floor, side pockets in the rear box.
Can’t do better than this.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I took this picture of my Tacoma AccessCab shortly after getting it, I should take a similar pic of my F250 SuperCab.

note that with the seat bottoms folded forward/down like they are in the picture, there's both storage under those black plastic covers, AND room under the seat bottom for a 'truck box' sized toolbox on each side, and you can pile quite a lot on the flat space above.

and here's the F250 SuperCab (their brand for extended cab not crew/double cab)... I really should shoot this picture when its overcast, the light/shadows are way harsh.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
and here's the F250 SuperCab (their brand for extended cab not crew/double cab)... ]
I guess that will be the same as my new F150 SuperCab when it finally gets built on Oct. 27.

Have you removed the other jump seat?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #52
Site Team

well, mine is a 2002 SuperDuty, AFAIK, the F250/F350 SuperDuty trucks are not the same cab as the F150 light duty trucks. Also, mine is XLT trim, and each trim level has somewhat different seats and stuff. Plus generational changes from 2002 to now I'm sure make for all kinda differences.

I've not removed anything, just folded both back seats up. I really need to retake that pic in softer light so you can see the interior.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
well, mine is a 2002 SuperDuty, AFAIK, the F250/F350 SuperDuty trucks are not the same cab as the F150 light duty trucks. Also, mine is XLT trim, and each trim level has somewhat different seats and stuff. Plus generational changes from 2002 to now I'm sure make for all kinda differences.

I've not removed anything, just folded both back seats up. I really need to retake that pic in softer light so you can see the interior.
The 7.3L is a keep forever truck. The Excursion 6.0 we had. Not so much.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My bro-in-law has that 6.0 in his Excursion as does a friend with an F250 I beleive. Both have had to spend $$$ on same repairs that are known issues. They are both incredibly loud too.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
The 7.3L is a keep forever truck. The Excursion 6.0 we had. Not so much.
'they' say, you can 'bulletproof' a 6.0, but it costs a fair bit. it requires a better head gasket, better head bolts, relocating the (whatever circuit board was too close to the head), and stuff like that. I've heard estimated costs of doing it right run around $5000. Many I saw for sale *claimed* to be 'bulletproof' but I'm not sure I'd trust that claim without knowing who did the work and what all they did.

7.3's aren't fast, but they get you there and run nearly forever. i've heard the 4R100 trannies are the weak spot.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #56

Trailer: Researching
I have a 2006 F350 with a 6.0. I bought it in early 2017 with 73k miles. I drove it for a year before I decided to bulletproof it. I checked the temps in hot Texas over the summer and my oil and water temps where up to 230. I saved my money and went to Bulletproof Diesel in Mesa and had it done. Not cheap, but I won't have any overheating or head gasket problems . Drove the truck all summer and with it being over 100 here, my water temps stayed at 196-198 and oil temps were within 200. I've been really happy with it. I wanted a truck with no DEF. I still have the EGR, but it's a better version. With a 4" turbo back exhaust and tune, it gets me down the road.

I bought the truck thinking I was going with a truck camper, but I keep changing my mind on what to get. This truck would be overkill for a Escape, but it will be paid off in April. I'm leaning towards a 21.
06smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
You can’t go wrong with a 21
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Our Ram Ecodiesel @ 26mpg towing our "Escape Hatch II" has my full attention. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040873.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #59

Trailer: None
We just bought a 17’ Eacape this summer, along with a Chevy Colorado to tow it. It has a towing capacity of around 7000#. We love this truck! It’s a diesel and we get 25 mpg at highway speeds towing on the level, when wind is right😊 Towed trailer and over Cascade Mountain range....was excellent. When not towing we get up to and over 30 mpg.
annecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Wow you guys have me beat!! Towing our new 19 from Chilliwack to Idaho I averaged 18 mpg towing with our Colorado diesel and thought that was pretty good. Lots of grades but no discernible wind. I did look at the instantaneous fuel monitor while driving 65 mph on a completely flat section of road, and it was getting up to 22 though. Our 19 has a dry weight of 3,375 lbs. We had a full water tank and full propane tanks but not much gear, so I'm guessing we were towing around 3,800 lbs.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 19, tow vehicle