Picking the right tow vehicle - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #61

Trailer: Researching
I'm contemplating selling my big ole truck and getting a Colorado with a Duramax. I only get 12+ mpg's. When I add a trailer, it would go down to single digits. My truck is just to long and wide. I hate parking it. I would love to get a midsize truck!
06smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Smokey lots of folks here tow their 21 with a Colorado or Canyon duramax, and at least a few tow a 5.0 TA. Mine gets 30+ mpg not towing. I was somewhat bummed with the 18 it got towing our new 19 until I reminded myself my previous pickup, a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500, only ever got 18 mpg on its very best days, not towing. I did love that truck, but it seemed like I was always having to fill it up. I thought our Colorado did a great job with the 19. The best feature, other than great mpg, is the exhaust brake for steep downhill grades.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #63

That's something I wish my truck had was exhaust brake. I figure just in fuel savings I could save a bunch of money getting the Colorado. My plan is to retire in April 2021. I'm going to fulltime in the trailer. So want the most space I can get.

I already found a dealer in Idaho with the best prices on new Colorado's. Can you tell me what kind of payload you have on your Colorado? I'm hoping for at least 1400lbs.

Mike
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06smokey View Post
That's something I wish my truck had was exhaust brake. I figure just in fuel savings I could save a bunch of money getting the Colorado. My plan is to retire in April 2021. I'm going to fulltime in the trailer. So want the most space I can get.

I already found a dealer in Idaho with the best prices on new Colorado's. Can you tell me what kind of payload you have on your Colorado? I'm hoping for at least 1400lbs.

Mike
Well it's close. According to the driver's side door sticker, payload on my truck is 1,390-lbs. This truck is a 4X4 long bed with crew cab. I'm not sure, but the short bed might get you a little more payload. Not getting a 4X4 would definitely put it over 1,400, but where I live and camp, towing with a 4X2 is not an option. I have a 250-lb fiberglass canopy on the truck, and paired with our 19, 2 people, 3 medium-sized dogs, and a moderate amount of gear works for the payload we have, although we'll probably be pushing it when loaded for a long trip. Hope you can make the numbers work for your needs!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
its the crew cab that really cuts into your payload, more than the short vs long bed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #66

That's perfect. Lots of folks have the Colorado with the 5.0. That will be the most weight against the payload. I'm by myself, so that will help with payload. So from what I have seen on here is that the average weight for the pin weight is around 750lbs for the 5.0 and the 21 has a tongue weight around 500lbs. I know depending on how much water you have will change that. So if I needed more capacity, I could have less water.

I was looking at the Ram ecodiesel, but they have even worse payload. A friend just bought a 2018 Ram Limited and his payload is 947lbs. I want to see what the new 2019's payload with the ecodiesel will be. I've heard that they removed around 250lbs from the previous model.

Mike
Old 09-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and be careful of the Ram spare tire, it is probably a space saver tire with limited use. I had to purchase my own full sized wheel after learning this last year.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #68

Just a couple of other things to consider before making a decision with these small diesels... the Colorado/Canyons have had issues with their emissions systems, particularly the NOx sensors, as well as the DPF (diesel particulate filter and regen cycle). They are wonderful trucks because they run very quiet, don't smell like diesel, and don't blow black smoke, but this comes at a potential cost. I have had 0 issues with my truck with over 11,000 miles, but there are numerous accounts online. Also I have a friend who owns a 2016 Dodge EcoDiesel, and they have had an issue with their NOx sensor as well, which resulted in a month back at the dealer to figure out a repair. The second issue that gave me pause is these trucks must be fueled with ultra low sulfer diesel only, and if a person is considering travel to Baja, Mexico or anywhere south of the border, it could be difficult to find fuel for it. None of these things dissuaded me from buying my Colorado, but I did consider them before making the decision. I've had no regrets so far. As with any major purchase, it's always good to know as much as possible, particularly where there are tradeoffs!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
That's perfect. Lots of folks have the Colorado with the 5.0. That will be the most weight against the payload. I'm by myself, so that will help with payload. So from what I have seen on here is that the average weight for the pin weight is around 750lbs for the 5.0 and the 21 has a tongue weight around 500lbs. I know depending on how much water you have will change that. So if I needed more capacity, I could have less water.

I was looking at the Ram ecodiesel, but they have even worse payload. A friend just bought a 2018 Ram Limited and his payload is 947lbs. I want to see what the new 2019's payload with the ecodiesel will be. I've heard that they removed around 250lbs from the previous model.

Mike
Hi: 06smokey... IMHO...the location of the fresh water tank in an Escape trailer lends a "Teter totter" effect specially in our 5.0TA. Adding a full tank of fresh water lessens the pin wt. some what. We also carry our screen room and extra outdoor chairs behind the axles to take some of the weight off the pin. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We have a mid-sized GMC Canyon DuraMax diesel, rated to tow 7800 lbs. as I recall. We have been towing another 21' trailer with it and it does really well. Comes equipped with in-dash brake controller and exhaust brake for speed control downhill. Gets good mileage and we plan to use it to tow our E 21'. Might check out the Chev Colorado or GMC Canyon (same vehicle mostly) with DuraMax diesel as a tow vehicle. Only knock on it is that the side mirrors really suck for towing and we are planning to replace them with some aftermarket product.
I love my 2016 Canyon Duramax! No problem in the mountains with the E 19. The truck was built to tow. I bought a pair of Milenco mirrors and they are perfect. Just remove them when away from the truck as they are easily stolen. Takes a couple of minutes to install.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #71

I think the baby Duramax will be a perfect choice.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
I think the baby Duramax will be a perfect choice.
Here's another vote for the GM twins. I've been quite happy towing our Escape 21 with the Canyon. FWIW, here are some details:
2016 Canyon SLE crew cab short bed
Payload capacity 1457 lbs
Highway mileage (most of this is freeways at +/- 75mph): 26.7
City mileage: 21.7
Towing mileage: 16.5 (I tow at 60-65 mph conditions permitting)
I have the Clearview towing mirrors, which I'm sure is part of the reason I get lower mileage than many others report, but I really like them.
The payload is good for a mid-size truck, but I should note that with the two of us, the camper shell, and the stuff (tools, emergency kit, etc.) that lives in the truck bed, and the tongue weight of the 21 I'm running with 1350-1400 lbs on the truck when we're towing. It's enough payload, but there isn't much to spare.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #73

Trailer: 2009 19 foot Escape
Tow vehicle

We have been towing the older 5.0 fifth wheel for many years with a Nissan Frontier - I did not want a full-size pickup. The GVW of the 5 is similar. The Frontier has served us very well, it gets good gas mileage, but if a lot of towing on hills is expected I'd get a full-size pickup.

John
JGCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Tow the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCook View Post
We have been towing the older 5.0 fifth wheel for many years with a Nissan Frontier - I did not want a full-size pickup. The GVW of the 5 is similar. The Frontier has served us very well, it gets good gas mileage, but if a lot of towing on hills is expected I'd get a full-size pickup.

John
Hi: JGCook... For the last 8 yrs. we towed with a Nissan Frontier. Lots of negative vibes from the forum about cargo cap. Door sticker said 1100#s so we towed for most of the 173,000Kms. Towing mileage around 15mpg. Now we have a full sized Ram Ecodiesel that's loaded with gadgets I haven't figured out yet. Door sticker says 900#s so we're even closer to the edge. Towing mileage at legal hwy. speeds is 26 mpg. I'm happy with that, but others would be petrified!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040873.jpg   P1040804.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Here's another vote for the GM twins. I've been quite happy towing our Escape 21 with the Canyon. FWIW, here are some details:
2016 Canyon SLE crew cab short bed
Payload capacity 1457 lbs
Highway mileage (most of this is freeways at +/- 75mph): 26.7
City mileage: 21.7
Towing mileage: 16.5 (I tow at 60-65 mph conditions permitting)
I have the Clearview towing mirrors, which I'm sure is part of the reason I get lower mileage than many others report, but I really like them.
The payload is good for a mid-size truck, but I should note that with the two of us, the camper shell, and the stuff (tools, emergency kit, etc.) that lives in the truck bed, and the tongue weight of the 21 I'm running with 1350-1400 lbs on the truck when we're towing. It's enough payload, but there isn't much to spare.
Appreciate your stats on your truck.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JGCook... For the last 8 yrs. we towed with a Nissan Frontier. Lots of negative vibes from the forum about cargo cap. Door sticker said 1100#s so we towed for most of the 173,000Kms. Towing mileage around 15mpg. Now we have a full sized Ram Ecodiesel that's loaded with gadgets I haven't figured out yet. Door sticker says 900#s so we're even closer to the edge. Towing mileage at legal hwy. speeds is 26 mpg. I'm happy with that, but others would be petrified!!! Alf
As long as you are not over your rated rear axle and tire ratings, you will be fine.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have towed our 17 ft Casita SD with a Ram 1500 / Hemi truck for the past 5 years .
The Ram has performed to our expectations and was adequate for the job
We recently purchased a slightly larger / heavier trailer and will definitely be looking to upgrade our tow vehicle . This thread has been a good source of information but I wish the emphasis was more on towing capabilities and less on-comparing fuel mileage .
We will be looking at full size diesel powered trucks
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #78

Trailer: 2009 19 foot Escape
Tow vehicle

Lots of good info on tow vehicles. Three items for consideration:
- The speed at which you want to travel. On our last long journey across the US we saw many drivers of pickup trucks pulling sometimes heavy "camping" trailers who were really pushing it.

- A related item: Are you willing to slow down a bit going up hills?

- Your finances and budget for the truck.

JGC
JGCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #79

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I pull a 2007 Escape 17B with a 2017 Toyota 4Runner, and the best advice I can offer is don't go above 50% tow capacity. I would tow a 7500lb boat a half hour to the lake, but for a long haul through the mountains, I prefer to keep my camper on the small side.

The most important item to consider is Elevation. If your staying under 5000' like in the Smokey's, maybe a midsize will work, if your heading past Denver, get a full size with a V8. I'm not sold on the smaller diesels, ask me in 5 years.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #80

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCook View Post
Lots of good info on tow vehicles. Three items for consideration:
- The speed at which you want to travel. On our last long journey across the US we saw many drivers of pickup trucks pulling sometimes heavy "camping" trailers who were really pushing it.

- A related item: Are you willing to slow down a bit going up hills?

- Your finances and budget for the truck.

JGC
Add Elevation to that, at 7500' my 4.0 V6 felt like it had 150HP, not 275HP.

Tags
escape 19, tow vehicle