Picking up a trailer, tools and supplies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Picking up a trailer, tools and supplies

Hi, all,

We are trying to get everything together for our very first trailer and it is a long list. Maybe there should be a list for Picking Up A Trailer and Getting Home in 3 Hours and another one for Picking Up A Trailer and Getting Home in 3 Weeks, Camping on the Way.

We figure we need a torque wrench but which one? We found a $75 Husky with a quick set feature. That sounds as if it is a very good feature to have but what do I know. What we do not know for sure is whether we need the 3/8" version or is there something else because of the different measuring system?

We are buying all kinds of "must have" items and maybe some not so "must have."
Chocks, locking chocks, leveling blocks, hitch grease, hitch cover, triangles, hitch ball finder mirror, outside string of lights, RV TP, towing mirrors. We picked up a bunch of on-sale screw drivers and another tape measure at Sears.

I guess we need some other tools such as wrenches but don't know what sizes. What other tools might we need?

How about cleaning supplies for the tanks or similar items? What would one need if camping on the way home?

I can manage the kitchen items and bed linens lists but don't know about other things.

We plan to get a Sherline scale ordered soon. I suppose we should get the 1,000 lb. if we can.

Also will order tire sensors.

Maybe we should have a surge protector. Have to look into which one, discussed on the forum before.

Need a water pressure regulator, for people not getting the Starter Kit.

That's all I know.
Thank you for all of the info. Many of the ideas I have came from this forum.
Cathy

Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Picking up a trailer, tools and supplies

Hi: Cathy... I just added a link to the Ikea tool kitwww.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00169254/ I carry in the trailer...Very handy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #3

If buying a torque Wrench buy a 1/2" drive one. you will need a short 1/2" extension about 5 inches and a 3/4" socket. The torque for the lug nuts is 90 foot pounds. Torque wrench has two scales one in Foot Pounds and the other is metric. The Torque Wrench can be used for the tow rig also. I have one for sale on my website www.fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com.
Chuck
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Hi Cathy,
Most of your list sounds pretty good but I would caution on buying too much before you have the trailer. Sometimes it takes a while to get the feel of the trailer to see what really works and what you really need. It's way to easy to go crazy buying too much. Below are some thoughts on some items that work for me:

TP: I buy Angel Soft regular household TP that is septic safe (non quilted). Our black tank is never left full for any length of time and before we return home I always clean and then put in a few inches of water.

Tools: never used a torque wrench but do carry a regular 4-way tire tool. Also carry hammer, sockets, screw drivers, etc.

Tire Pressure Monitor: I just bought a "Tire Minder" system as my truck does not have one. Can't say yet how well it works (but will find out real soon )

I use this for my black tanks http://www.adventurerv.net/oxykem-ho...le-p-4675.html

Voltage regulator: I believe this is a great idea and had Reace hardwire one in my new trailer. But something like this should work very well http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rotector/18336. They also make some less expensive ones. But I think this testing device is most important to check the electrical pedestal before plugging in http://tweetys.com/ac-circuit-tester.aspx.

Oh and for those of us with the 19' double axle I purchased this http://tweetys.com/trailer-aid-plus-2.aspx in case I need to change a tire on the road.

Hope this helps. Again, these things work for me. Just give yourself some time to get used to the trailer before buying too much.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies, guys. That is one very nifty tool set, Alf! Hope I can get ahold of one. 17 tools!
Chuck, that's just the info we needed on the torque wrench and think we have found those parts. I will have a further look at your site. Is that a side home business?
Steve, I will try to hold back! Found the Oxy-kem already. Glad it is biodegradable and all.
I looked at their hard-wired voltage regulator. A reviewer said he had it in in 20 minutes. And it costs less. I assume the hard-wired is put inside the unit whereas the portable ones are outside and need an anti-theft box (for $250 for sure). So I might like to try doing the hard wired and could always get someone else to do it.
I appreciate all of the comments. Very helpful.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

After a few trips, you'll be making another list.
All the stuff you don't really need to bring so you can keep the weight down.
As much as it hurts, I think I'll be leaving the Coleman camp oven behind next trip.

baglo
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #7

Baglo, I thought I would get one of those ovens. What does it weigh? I have a nothing "oven" so I will be forced to try that first and see if it is worth anything.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #8

Most tire shops will torque your your wheel nuts for free, so I would not be in a rush to purchase one. Just ask.

I would however advise you to get the wheels check after the first thousand miles, after that they seem to hold but it is still a good idea to have them checked periodically.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy
We are buying all kinds of "must have" items and maybe some not so "must have."
Chocks, locking chocks, leveling blocks, hitch grease,
Hubby and I were discussing this posting topic and responses. It seems that hitch grease won't be making our list of necessities. His dismissive comment really cracked me up, "You can have a dirty, rusty hitch, or you can have a dirty, rusty, greasy hitch."
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I'd recommend the hitch grease. Running without it can result in a badly chewed hitch ball, and when greased, the ball will slide into and off of the receptacle MUCH easier. I cut a slit into an old tennis ball as a cover for the greasy ball -- works fine.

I'd also recommend a screwdriver with multiple tips that store in the handle. Buy some #1 and #2 square drivers -- the entire interior is put together with them.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Cathy, in my opinion, I think you can safely skip the torque wrench. Your tow vehicle may use the same size lug nuts as the trailer - many do. If it does, then you can use the lug wrench you already have for your tow vehicle for the Escape. If it is different, you can just pick up a 4 way lug wrench (Craftsmans are about $12), or a long breaker bar (Craftsman 1/2' drive ones are about $25) with the correct socket for much less than a torque wrench. And as Doug said, many tire shops will check torque for you when needed.

The hitch ball finder apparatus' are only necessary if you are going to hook up by yourself and you might try without it first. We have never felt a need for one since Mary always guides me. After some practice she has gotten very precise at it.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy
Baglo, I thought I would get one of those ovens. What does it weigh? I have a nothing "oven" so I will be forced to try that first and see if it is worth anything.
According to REI it weighs 7 lbs.

I've only used mine once, for warming pulled pork at the Escape Rally. I found I couldn't keep the temp down to 225 F on my butane Thunder Range, but I could on the Weber baby Q.

I'd only bring it if I'm sure I'm going to use it.

baglo
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012

So Cathy, I take it you are back home safe and sound? Did you find you needed anything that was not on your list or mentioned by others (isn't this great site full of helpful people?)? We are picking up our 17B next week and then a six hour drive home...unless it snows.
BTW, thanks for the controller suggestion. I think the Primus will be okay. If, not, I'll sell it to a good friend of mine!
Eric
Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #14

Eric, we are not picking up now. Just getting ready. So you will have to tell us what's missing! We have a whole load of "necessities." Getting tire sensors next. We are nothing if not prepared. Camping World has a pile of our money. Still trying towing mirrors. I would like a camera but hate to put any holes in the fiberglass!

I also found a bunch of helpful lists for pre-trip, camp set-up and more on the Good Sam Club. Yes, many of our 'must-haves" came from this very helpful group. I think we have them all and then some!

We have had such warm weather that you can hopefully make it. This is certainly the best year ever to go in winter. Have a great trip and give us a good report.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

One suggestion: while at the factory look over the inside very well, i.e. in all the cabinets, under the bed, etc. Ours was not cleaned very well and if you find the same have them vacuum the trailer. On the 19 some of the areas are hard to reach and was a pain to try to get to those areas.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

I checked my trailers lug nuts after a 300 miles trip home. It was good I did because several lug nuts were loose. I do not inflate the tires over 42 pounds. Reace said it is better for the trailer to run less than 50 pounds.
Chuck
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #17

You need to check your lug nuts after a hundred miles or so, especially if you have aluminum wheels. That's not specific to Escape, or trailers. Any time you have wheels removed and replaced ( snow tire changeover for instance ) you need to have the wheels re-torqued after a couple days on the road.

baglo

Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #18

Cathy,
First trailer is a ton of fun! Enjoy.

A couple of incredibly useful items:
Aluminum duct tape for emergency sealing of cracks, window leaks, breaks. Waterproof, easy to use, easy to remove (if you don't wait a year).
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...&storeId=10051

Leave the dirt outside! You won't be sorry. Better than the ones that wrap to your doorstep, Imho. And a daisy!
http://stores.nextag.com/store/47980...15218/Door-Mat

A couple of carpet samples for inside the door. A local floor covering store around here sells them for a buck and has lots of colours to match your decor.

Dave
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #19

DaveK, thank you for the tip on the aluminum foil tape. They have a waterproof version which has "Waterproof" written across it in big letters. We passed on that one for the one you showed us.
Also looking at the mats which I had not thought of.

Bruce, we finally found those #1 and #2 square drivers, also at Home Depot (after they said they did not have them.) We opted for the separate tools, not interchanging parts, as we have a collection of screwdrivers already. Husky has the lifetime warranty so we can use them on the trailer forever!

Thanks all.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012

Cathy,
We picked up our 17B trailer ("Honulele"...loosely translated Hawaiian for Flying Turtle) and brought her home safely and in good condition! It was not a nice drive down from B.C. yesterday since it rained and blew for 200 miles...like driving through a freeway carwash all the way. But Honulele followed our Tacoma like a well trained sea turtle should. There was no swaying, fishtailing, uneven braking or the like. Since we didn't plan on camping I just carried my tool kit for an emergency and was thankful we didn't need it.
Dave went through a very thorough orientation with us and since the Tacoma dropped only an inch when we connected the trailer he didn't think a WD hitch was necessary. He was right but I will measure it again when it's fully loaded for camping.
Good luck in April and I'm sure it will be just as rewarding and fun.
Eric