Pickups with 31 mpg - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #121

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
The US version has Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), a turn-off for me in diesel engines.
I understand wanting to avoid these features, but since it is essentially impossible to meet current North American emission limits without them, the choice is between a full slate of emission controls (EGR, SCR, DPF) or a non-diesel engine.

VW wanted to avoid the selective catalytic reduction (SCR), but they couldn't do it with adequate performance and economy, so they just cheated. That has not worked out so well
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Bigfoot 25B175FB
I agree, Brian. These devises are needed for current emissions requirements. That's why I'm keeping my 13 year-old Cummins. I just spent $3K for new injectors so it may be false economy to keep the old girl...
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
I agree, Brian. These devises are needed for current emissions requirements. That's why I'm keeping my 13 year-old Cummins. I just spent $3K for new injectors so it may be false economy to keep the old girl...
I also just poured some money into my old ram. Dual EGT/Boost gauge in the A pillar, tranny temp, fuel and fuel rail pressure gauges below the heater controls and a new Alpine system. On a good day with the right conditions I average right around 20 mpg towing the 5.0 TA, any kind of hills or wind drops the mileage to around 16-18 mpg. My o’ my, that 5.9 cummins just purrs on long road trips.
Oh, now when I crank up AC/DC Thunderstruck, it totally rocks! Scott

Scott, Lori & Fritz the arctic snow schnauzer
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #124

The "February 2016" issue of Diesel World (the one now in the stores) features an article about the Colorado diesel. The content is not available on the website, the article was written before the official fuel economy numbers were available, and it doesn't have any objective test measurements; however, I read it and it does have subjective observations from an actual test drive with a trailer attached, and it does focus on towing.

They like it.

They also include some comments about the difference between the Duramax 2.8 and the EcoDiesel (in the Ram 1500), and a explanation of the relationship between the Duramax 2.8 and VM Motori's A428 DOHC.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:47 AM   #125

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Ford F150 rumors....

Spied: 2017 Ford F-150 TurboDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Interesting - I had not heard of that.

The article describes some interesting possibilities, including the Ford / Land Rover V6. It also includes this very relevant note:
Quote:
keep mind a development mule doesn’t always mean future product
For those interested in the diesel V6 rumoured to used in the F-150:
Range Rover story re. Td6
Wikipedia article for Ford 3.0D/TDV6/SDV6/HDi

This looks like a modern diesel car engine very much like the EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a little less like the similarly modern diesel engines in the Colorado and Ford Transit (and worldwide Ranger). I see that the Range Rover application uses the same ZF 8-speed transmission as the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
If the FoMoCo 10 speed tranny is half as good as the Mopar ZF 8 speed, that will be a winner for Ford.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #128
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If the pricing pattern Ford uses is similar to other makes, and you have to pay a big premium for the Diesel option, then the extra couple of MPG might not be so attractive. I love a diesel for pulling a heavy load, mainly because of the low end torque, but I just can't see spending 6K more to tow a lightweight like my Escape, when the EcoBoost V6 does such a fine job already.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
If the FoMoCo 10 speed tranny is half as good as the Mopar ZF 8 speed, that will be a winner for Ford.
... and for GM, since they are sharing this transmission.

It appears that the current F-150 transmission is the 6R80 (which means six-speed, for rear-wheel-drive, and "80" is a number proportional to input torque capacity). GM and Ram are already using strong 8-speeds (GM's own 8L90 and the Chrysler version of ZF's 8HP) so in this case Ford is playing catch-up.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I love a diesel for pulling a heavy load, mainly because of the low end torque, but I just can't see spending 6K more to tow a lightweight like my Escape, when the EcoBoost V6 does such a fine job already.
The primary reason for low-end torque in a turbodiesel is the turbocharger, which you also have in the EcoBoost... which is one reason why the EcoBoost works so well.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #131

It looks like Colorado diesel fans will finally be getting their trucks:
After Delay, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Diesels Are Being Released to Dealers
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a Ram 1500 with the Eco Diesel 4x4, right now I'm getting 11L/100km (25mpg) empty, in town driving. Towing my Escape 19 on my last trip I got 14L/100km (20mpg) I drove the Crowsnest highway in BC and had power to spare climbing the hills, and in tow/haul mode the turbo vanes were used as an exhaust brake going down hill. Combined truck and trailer weight was 10 000lbs, according to the truck scale in Hope. It was a much better towing experience than the 1989 Suburban I was using.
Devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The primary reason for low-end torque in a turbodiesel is the turbocharger, which you also have in the EcoBoost... which is one reason why the EcoBoost works so well.

Very true Brian, we love the low end torque in the EcoBoost too. I was referring more to the general rule that diesels produce more low end torque than their gasoline counterparts - mainly because they usually have a longer stroke length and higher boost pressure. In any case, the higher MPG of the diesel would be more than offset (imho) by the lower cost of gasoline, and the lower cost of the gasoline vehicle. I read an article some time back where they did a study and found the "break even" point in terms of cost was somewhere around 8-9 years for most diesels vs their gas engine counterparts.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I was referring more to the general rule that diesels produce more low end torque than their gasoline counterparts - mainly because they usually have a longer stroke length and higher boost pressure.
Higher boost pressure is a good point, although that's still a turbocharging characteristic. In a few ways, gasoline and diesel engines are converging toward the same features and similar specs, so I think we'll continue to see the traditional distinctions fade.

Longer stroke length for the same displacement doesn't directly improve torque, because longer stroke means smaller bore, so you have a longer lever arm but less force - no gain. The longer stoke is really just an indication of a lower operating speed, and that doesn't increase torque either, but it typically means a lower speed for peak torque. Mostly, diesels are just big... but in the case of the Ram 1500 and Colorado, we're not talking about big engines.

Although the 2.7L EcoBoost has shorter stoke than the Duramax 2.8L (due to one more cylinder and more square bore to stoke ratio) the EcoBoost puts out slightly more torque.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...In a few ways, gasoline and diesel engines are converging toward the same features and similar specs, so I think we'll continue to see the traditional distinctions fade.
That's so true. The dealer where we bought our truck had a static display with an Ecoboost engine cut in half, and several internal components on display. It was remarkably similar to the turbo diesel engines I've seen.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #136

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to say, or I will explode, that the current Chevy ads, for trucks and cars are annoying me no end.
They claim best fuel economy, best towing, best thingamabob, but you have to buy three trucks to get all three bests.
And, they are flogging 4G Wifi as the main reason for buying a vehicle. I'm going send that kid and his game controller to his room, along with Chevy's entire marketing department.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #137
Site Team

Pickups with 31 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have to say, or I will explode, that the current Chevy ads, for trucks and cars are annoying me no end.
They claim best fuel economy, best towing, best thingamabob, but you have to buy three trucks to get all three bests.
And, they are flogging 4G Wifi as the main reason for buying a vehicle. I'm going send that kid and his game controller to his room, along with Chevy's entire marketing department.

Couldn't agree more. The latest one I saw today gives you a choice of either the Silverado with "built in 4G LTE WiFi" or an F150 towing a 1960s trailer with a dowdy lady inside with a typewriter, a fax machine and a satellite dish on the roof. Ugh. Guess they've never heard of phones or MiFis.

One thing they conveniently don't mention is that you have to either open an account with a carrier or add the truck to your existing data plan. The MiFi is actually more versatile than the built in because you can move a hockey puck easier than you can move a truck.