Pickups with 31 mpg - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #121

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
The US version has Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), a turn-off for me in diesel engines.
I understand wanting to avoid these features, but since it is essentially impossible to meet current North American emission limits without them, the choice is between a full slate of emission controls (EGR, SCR, DPF) or a non-diesel engine.

VW wanted to avoid the selective catalytic reduction (SCR), but they couldn't do it with adequate performance and economy, so they just cheated. That has not worked out so well

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Bigfoot 25B175FB
I agree, Brian. These devises are needed for current emissions requirements. That's why I'm keeping my 13 year-old Cummins. I just spent $3K for new injectors so it may be false economy to keep the old girl...

tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
I agree, Brian. These devises are needed for current emissions requirements. That's why I'm keeping my 13 year-old Cummins. I just spent $3K for new injectors so it may be false economy to keep the old girl...
I also just poured some money into my old ram. Dual EGT/Boost gauge in the A pillar, tranny temp, fuel and fuel rail pressure gauges below the heater controls and a new Alpine system. On a good day with the right conditions I average right around 20 mpg towing the 5.0 TA, any kind of hills or wind drops the mileage to around 16-18 mpg. My o’ my, that 5.9 cummins just purrs on long road trips.
Oh, now when I crank up AC/DC Thunderstruck, it totally rocks! Scott

Scott, Lori & Fritz the arctic snow schnauzer
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #124

The "February 2016" issue of Diesel World (the one now in the stores) features an article about the Colorado diesel. The content is not available on the website, the article was written before the official fuel economy numbers were available, and it doesn't have any objective test measurements; however, I read it and it does have subjective observations from an actual test drive with a trailer attached, and it does focus on towing.

They like it.

They also include some comments about the difference between the Duramax 2.8 and the EcoDiesel (in the Ram 1500), and a explanation of the relationship between the Duramax 2.8 and VM Motori's A428 DOHC.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 AM   #125

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Ford F150 rumors....

Spied: 2017 Ford F-150 TurboDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 01-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Interesting - I had not heard of that.

The article describes some interesting possibilities, including the Ford / Land Rover V6. It also includes this very relevant note:
Quote:
keep mind a development mule doesn’t always mean future product
For those interested in the diesel V6 rumoured to used in the F-150:
Range Rover story re. Td6
Wikipedia article for Ford 3.0D/TDV6/SDV6/HDi

This looks like a modern diesel car engine very much like the EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a little less like the similarly modern diesel engines in the Colorado and Ford Transit (and worldwide Ranger). I see that the Range Rover application uses the same ZF 8-speed transmission as the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
If the FoMoCo 10 speed tranny is half as good as the Mopar ZF 8 speed, that will be a winner for Ford.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #128

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
If the pricing pattern Ford uses is similar to other makes, and you have to pay a big premium for the Diesel option, then the extra couple of MPG might not be so attractive. I love a diesel for pulling a heavy load, mainly because of the low end torque, but I just can't see spending 6K more to tow a lightweight like my Escape, when the EcoBoost V6 does such a fine job already.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
If the FoMoCo 10 speed tranny is half as good as the Mopar ZF 8 speed, that will be a winner for Ford.
... and for GM, since they are sharing this transmission.

It appears that the current F-150 transmission is the 6R80 (which means six-speed, for rear-wheel-drive, and "80" is a number proportional to input torque capacity). GM and Ram are already using strong 8-speeds (GM's own 8L90 and the Chrysler version of ZF's 8HP) so in this case Ford is playing catch-up.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I love a diesel for pulling a heavy load, mainly because of the low end torque, but I just can't see spending 6K more to tow a lightweight like my Escape, when the EcoBoost V6 does such a fine job already.
The primary reason for low-end torque in a turbodiesel is the turbocharger, which you also have in the EcoBoost... which is one reason why the EcoBoost works so well.