Pickups with 31 mpg - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's the Cummins 5L V8 - a compromise between the excessively large (6.7L V8) engines in the heavy-duty pickups and the less powerful and smaller (2.8L to 3.2L, 4 to 6 cylinder) engines in the commercial vans and other light-duty pickups (Ram and Colorado). This is a much bigger engine in a bigger and heavier truck than the Colorado (or Ram 1500), so I don't expect fuel consumption miracles.
I was told by a local mechanic to shy away from the Nissan diesel . His worry was that the Nissan front end was not built to take the added torque and weight of the heavier 5 ltr diesel engine and that Nissan had no plans to upgrade the front end . According. to the mechanic Ram and GM are using smaller diesel engines to avoid these issues. Is there any truth to this or is he just expressing his opinion ?
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Old Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was told by a local mechanic to shy away from the Nissan diesel . His worry was that the Nissan front end was not built to take the added torque and weight of the heavier 5 ltr diesel engine and that Nissan had no plans to upgrade the front end . According. to the mechanic Ram and GM are using smaller diesel engines to avoid these issues. Is there any truth to this or is he just expressing his opinion ?
Probably some truth to that. I have a 3rd generation Ram with the 5.9 common rail. I did have to have the front end rebuilt after our most recent trip up the Cassiar at 60,000 miles. But I think hauling our previous truck camper which weighed in wet at around 4000 pounds had something to do with that. I have friends that have 300,000 500,000 miles on the 5.9 liter with no mechanical issues. Scott
Scott & Lori
__________________

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was told by a local mechanic to shy away from the Nissan diesel . His worry was that the Nissan front end was not built to take the added torque and weight of the heavier 5 ltr diesel engine and that Nissan had no plans to upgrade the front end . According. to the mechanic Ram and GM are using smaller diesel engines to avoid these issues. Is there any truth to this or is he just expressing his opinion ?
It's a new generation of the Titan, with the diesel available only in the "XD" version which is described by Nissan and every published report I've seen as stronger to handle heavier loads (including the engine). This guy may be rights, but what makes him think that "Nissan had no plans to upgrade the front end"?

Also, the engine output torque is irrelevant to the chassis. The transmission output torque reaction is handled by the frame, not the front suspension... so yes, the frame is a concern with any high-powered engine, but this engine has a bit less power capability than current gasoline engine in a Titan.

On the other hand, the weight of a 5L V8 Cummins diesel is a valid concern - a friend of mine who repairs pickup trucks says that he gets a lot of Ford SuperDuty owners with front-end problems (and big Power Stroke engines on top of them), and although the version for Nissan is lighter the commercial-duty ISV5.0 weighs 800 pounds. For comparison, the commercial-duty version of the ISB6.7 (also by Cummins, used in Ram heavy-duty trucks) weighs 1150 pounds and the Maxxforce7 (current commercial-duty version of the previous generation of Power Stroke engines used in Ford SuperDuty trucks) weighs 1225 pounds... both dry. So it's 2/3 of the weight of what the heavier pickups are carrying, but still heavier than the 490-pound Ram EcoDiesel 3.0 V6 (a.k.a. L630). Let's hope Nissan handles it properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Old Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's a new generation of the Titan, with the diesel available only in the "XD" version which is described by Nissan and every published report I've seen as stronger to handle heavier loads (including the engine). This guy may be rights, but what makes him think that "Nissan had no plans to upgrade the front end"?

Also, the engine output torque is irrelevant to the chassis. The transmission output torque reaction is handled by the frame, not the front suspension... so yes, the frame is a concern with any high-powered engine, but this engine has a bit less power capability than current gasoline engine in a Titan.

On the other hand, the weight of a 5L V8 Cummins diesel is a valid concern - a friend of mine who repairs pickup trucks says that he gets a lot of Ford SuperDuty owners with front-end problems (and big Power Stroke engines on top of them), and although the version for Nissan is lighter the commercial-duty ISV5.0 weighs 800 pounds. For comparison, the commercial-duty version of the ISB6.7 (also by Cummins, used in Ram heavy-duty trucks) weighs 1150 pounds and the Maxxforce7 (current commercial-duty version of the previous generation of Power Stroke engines used in Ford SuperDuty trucks) weighs 1225 pounds... both dry. So it's 2/3 of the weight of what the heavier pickups are carrying, but still heavier than the 490-pound Ram EcoDiesel 3.0 V6 (a.k.a. L630). Let's hope Nissan handles it properly.
I think that all of the big three heavy duties can have premature front end wear, due to the weight of the engines, the loads they haul and the types of roads they drive. My neighbor has a semi-remote home down a seventy mile stretch of road that can be quite bad during certain times of the year. His truck, a Duramax is three years newer than mine and he is on his third front end. Scott

Scott & Lori
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 108
Funny to stumble on this topic, as I eagerly await the new Titan XD rollout. Been driving nothing but diesels (on my 3rd Dodge Cummins, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and an 03 VW Golf that still gets +48mpg) and wouldn't mind trading down to this "5/8" ton as it is being touted. The diesel version is released first with a completely different front end and frame from the gas versions to follow. Combine that with the heavier duty Aisin 6 sped tranny and it might be the perfect size for what I need to tow antique car trailers and hopefully my new 5.0 TA. The only question now is whether the spouse will let go of her Jeep and I'll lose the Dodge! Yeah, I know there are several gas vehicles that would suffice, but once you get that oil burning in your blood, it's hard to quit!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Old Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Funny to stumble on this topic, as I eagerly await the new Titan XD rollout. Been driving nothing but diesels (on my 3rd Dodge Cummins, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and an 03 VW Golf that still gets +48mpg) and wouldn't mind trading down to this "5/8" ton as it is being touted. The diesel version is released first with a completely different front end and frame from the gas versions to follow. Combine that with the heavier duty Aisin 6 sped tranny and it might be the perfect size for what I need to tow antique car trailers and hopefully my new 5.0 TA. The only question now is whether the spouse will let go of her Jeep and I'll lose the Dodge! Yeah, I know there are several gas vehicles that would suffice, but once you get that oil burning in your blood, it's hard to quit!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I figure I have years yet to figure it out. The only time I drive the truck is hauling the 5th wheel or for home project stuff. Maybe Tesla will be in the running when the 5.9 wears out. Scott

Scott & Lori
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Funny to stumble on this topic, as I eagerly await the new Titan XD rollout.
... and wouldn't mind trading down to this "5/8" ton as it is being touted. The diesel version is released first with a completely different front end and frame from the gas versions to follow.
I'd call it a "heavy half ton"... just like an F-150. The F-150 is actually available with higher payload and towing capacity for comparable cab and box configurations than the Titan XD.

I just talked to a Nissan sales rep yesterday who said they they have had a Titan XD demonstrator visit at their dealership, and expected actual production units to start arriving in January.

Given what Nissan has done with their other "F-Alpha Architecture" models (original Titan, current Frontier, XTerra, previous Pathfinder, NV 2500/3500) , I expect that "completely different front end and frame" means the same basic design and hard point locations, with any or all components different due to sizing and strength to match the application... and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Funny to stumble on this topic, as I eagerly await the new Titan XD rollout.
... it might be the perfect size for what I need to tow antique car trailers and hopefully my new 5.0 TA.
The Titan XD has a bed-floor hitch (ball only) as a factory-integrated feature. With one of the fifth-wheel hitches that anchor to a bed-mount ball (such as the B&W Companion or Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection) it could be the "lightest" and most fuel-efficient route to a manufactuer-approved fifth-wheel rig (and the car trailers can be pulled with a ball in either conventional or gooseneck format)...

... but it will still weigh three tons and is not going to get 31 mpg under any conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,437
Pickups with 31 mpg

My truck got 9.3 per 100 KM, that's 30.32 MPG Imperial, that's pretty close isn't it?

Cheers
Doug


__________________
Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,728
Who uses Imperial?
Not even England, me thinks.
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.