Pull Rite 2400 Super Light hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Pull Rite 2400 Super Light hitch

Has anyone seen or used a Pull Rite 2400 Super Light hitches? Came across their web site and they look interesting. They work like an Andersen Ultimate only reversed, the ball is mounted to trailer. It seems they would be the equal of the Andersen but maybe easier to hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I know that pull-rite has always been considered one of the better hitch manufacturers, but I've not had one. Might try a search over on rv.net.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have a short bed 5.5' F 150 so I like the offset of the Anderson Ultimate rail mount hitch. I can't tell from the picture that the Pull Rite has any offset so I wouldn't consider it.

Also, now that the Anderson has the cone attachment which comes with a new order, and can be ordered separately, I don't think there would be much of a difference in ease of use.

I haven't bought one yet but I am pretty much sold on the Anderson Ultimate Rail Mount version using the Reece rail kit. Waiting for spring/summer.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Has anyone seen or used a Pull Rite 2400 Super Light hitches?
Yes... but I've only seen it online. Here's a link to an earlier discussion of the SuperLite in this forum:
SuperLite - Another 5.0TA hitch alternative

Since that thread, Andersen has added an alignment funnel to their Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection coupler, so the two alternatives are now even more similar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Guess it's pretty new, not much out there about it, looks like a sort of knock off of the Anderson. I did see a comment about it not being for short beds. If it were me I'd go for the Anderson just cause it's been around for a while and has the kinks worked out of it.

Don't see mention of safety chains in the manual which I think any ball and coupler require.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #6

I suppose loops could be welded onto the end of the adapter plate bolts to fasten safety chains, like the setup offered by Andersen for their Ultimate coupler. Proper eye bolts could also be used, although in the required size (1/2”-13 X 5-1/2”) they could be hard to find locally. Andersen does not provide any way to anchor safety chains at the truck end, so it would be no different for the SuperLite.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have the Andersen Ultimate rail version with the funnel and I love it! Hooking up the trailer is very easy, even for one person.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Guess it's pretty new, not much out there about it, looks like a sort of knock off of the Anderson. I did see a comment about it not being for short beds. If it were me I'd go for the Anderson just cause it's been around for a while and has the kinks worked out of it.

Don't see mention of safety chains in the manual which I think any ball and coupler require.
A few months ago, I contacted Pull Rite, and they sent me an email stating they were developing a safety chain option:

"Thanks for inquiring about our new SuperLite 5th wheel hitch. We have thoroughly tested the product and don't believe that safety chains are necessary, as the towing system is still a 5th wheel hitch. However, We do understand that some state laws require the use of safety chains. As a result, we are working on a kit that will allow for safety chain loops to be attached directly to the rails in the bed of the truck."

A few weeks later, they sent me another email:

"You have requested to be notified when our safety chain loops for the 2400 SuperLite became available. They are now available. These are loops that pin into the base rail system. Chains are not supplied and an attaching point to the 5th wheel camper should be determined by the customer. The part # is 2441. If there are any additional questions feel free to contact us."

And the Pull Rite does have an offset......
Old 01-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
A few months ago, I contacted Pull Rite, and they sent me an email stating they were developing a safety chain option:

"Thanks for inquiring about our new SuperLite 5th wheel hitch. We have thoroughly tested the product and don't believe that safety chains are necessary, as the towing system is still a 5th wheel hitch. However, We do understand that some state laws require the use of safety chains. As a result, we are working on a kit that will allow for safety chain loops to be attached directly to the rails in the bed of the truck."
I believe that regulations which call for the use of safety chains with anything other than a fifth-wheel hitch intend "fifth-wheel" to mean a pin-and-plate mechanism, rather than a ball-and-socket like this.

Quote:
A few weeks later, they sent me another email:

"You have requested to be notified when our safety chain loops for the 2400 SuperLite became available. They are now available. These are loops that pin into the base rail system. Chains are not supplied and an attaching point to the 5th wheel camper should be determined by the customer. The part # is 2441. If there are any additional questions feel free to contact us."
Although that product and part number do not seem to appear yet on the PullRite web site, these sound like CURT 5th Wheel Safety Chain Loops #16000 or similar products from other manufacturers, which could be used with the SuperLite, Andersen Ultimate, or any of the other various rail-mounted ball hitches.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
And the Pull Rite does have an offset......
The king pin adapter (essentially equivalent to the Andersen Ultimate's coupler block) is offset, but that effectively just extends (or shrinks) the pin box; it does not change the location of the pivot point in the truck, which is the more significant factor.

Carl, are you saying that there is also an offset in the hitch base? The Andersen Ultimate has (if I recall correctly) 5.5" of offset, but the SuperLite appears to be completely symmetric, so the socket and ball end up directly above the centre of the mounting rails, regardless of which way the base is turned.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The king pin adapter (essentially equivalent to the Andersen Ultimate's coupler block) is offset, but that effectively just extends (or shrinks) the pin box; it does not change the location of the pivot point in the truck, which is the more significant factor.

Carl, are you saying that there is also an offset in the hitch base? The Andersen Ultimate has (if I recall correctly) 5.5" of offset, but the SuperLite appears to be completely symmetric, so the socket and ball end up directly above the centre of the mounting rails, regardless of which way the base is turned.
No, it is just an offset in the ball assembly that attaches to the king pin. It does not change the pivot point in relation to the truck but it does move the trailer back a couple of inches thereby providing added cab to trailer clearance in sharp turns. It is essentially the same as the Andersen, if my understanding of the Andersen is correct.

And the part number for safety chains was what Pull Rite provided me. If not on the website, I would guess it would be best to ask a Pull Rite rep why the number isn't on the website. What I quoted in my previous quote is word-for-word what they emailed me. I cannot confirm it's accuracy.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the information, Carl.

In addition to offset in the king pin adapter (similar in both PullRite SuperLite and Andersen Ultimate), the Andersen Ultimate has substantial offset in the frame, so that's a significant difference in the products.

I'm not questioning the information from PullRite at all - I assume it's just not updated on their web site yet. Most of these small speciality companies don't effectively manage their published information, so I'm not surprised.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
I suppose loops could be welded onto the end of the adapter plate bolts to fasten safety chains...
Looking at the SuperLite adapter, another solution could be to just drill two well-placed holes in the flanges of the adapter for the pins of screw-pin shackles. This would work because the SuperLite adapter appears to be fabricated from steel plate, in contrast to the machined aluminum block used in the Andersen Ultimate.

I do think it's annoying to need to design and build a solution to obvious functionality which is lacking in a commercial product.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
... these sound like CURT 5th Wheel Safety Chain Loops #16000 or similar products from other manufacturers, which could be used with the SuperLite, Andersen Ultimate, or any of the other various rail-mounted ball hitches.
Here's the Reese equivalent (at eTrailer):
Reese Safety-Chain Attachment for Gooseneck Hitches on 5th Wheel Rails
Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #15

Andersen Saftey chains use the 2 bolts that hold adapter to pin. Pretty sure the 2400 could, do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Andersen Saftey chains use the 2 bolts that hold adapter to pin. Pretty sure the 2400 could, do the same.
Yes, except that the Andersen Ultimate bolts are not the same diameter, and so would not fit. That's why I suggested doing something like this, rather than trying to use Andersen's parts in the PullRite hitch.

From the installation manuals:
PullRite SuperLite:
ADAPTER PLATE BOLT
Part No: 98010203
Qty: 2
Description: 1/2”-13 X 5-1/2” HHCS GRD 5
Andersen Ultimate:
5/8" x 5" Kingpin coupler bolts with nuts (2 pcs)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #17

Sorry , not paying attention. See you already posted they could weld loops on the bolts, which is what I ment . Didn't mean to use Andersen parts.