Question about towing with a Ram 1500 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Question about towing with a Ram 1500

Monday we test drove two 2015 Ram 1500 pickups (diesel and Hemi). Rather I drove and Dirk tested out the a/c controls! He figures I'm the one that is the most picky of the two and whatever works for me will work for him. So, I get to do the driving. Works for me!

Anyway, I know if the bed isn't long enough you can't do a 90 degree angle (not that you really want to, I guess, but you never know what will happen). You can get either a 6'4" or 5'7" bed (depending on the cab size). Will either be okay for a 90 degree angle? The salesman didn't know, since he's not familiar with the 5.0TA. But I figure someone on this forum will know.

Thanks!

BTW, very nice ride! I test drove a Tundra last month and will also test drive a Ford and Chevy. Will the Nissan Titan work as well? If so, gotta test one of those out. Great fun test driving these rigs!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If it was me, I'd get the 6'4" bed. I believe the mid length truck beds are the best for Escapes fifth wheels as long as you have no other need for an 8'er. They allow any turning you might do without worry or a slider, they also leaving more room for gear then the short beds while handling better then a comparable setup with an 8' bed.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks Bob.

What a "slider" that you're referring to?

Jeez, 8' beds? Way longer than we'll ever need!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
You can get either a 6'4" or 5'7" bed (depending on the cab size). Will either be okay for a 90 degree angle?
Reace has an F-150 with a 5.5' bed, and posted a photo showing the tightest turn he make... close to 90 degrees but not quite. Sorry, I couldn't find the post in a quick search.

Bob showed the angle he gets with a shorter box in 5.0TA is home - no where near 90 degrees with 33" from cab to pin, but still a tight turn.

To run a full 90 degrees (not that you need to do that) requires a space from cab to hitch pin of at least half the width of the trailer, or 44". How much box length that needs depends on how the hitch mounts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #5

I doubt it is possible to get an 8-foot bed in a 1500 with anything but a regular cab. There are not many 8-foot boxes in privately owned trucks these days. With an Escape, which is substantially narrower than most fifth-wheels, there should be no need for that much space.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
What a "slider" that you're referring to?
A fifth-wheel hitch which is mounted on tracks so it can slide back to provide more space to allow tighter turns. Some are manual (you must stop, release the slide lock, pull the truck forward, lock the slide), while others automatically slide back in response to tight turn angle (SuperGlide is one of the best known). The rearward position is usually not suitable for use at more than slow maneuvering speed.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt it is possible to get an 8-foot bed in a 1500 with anything but a regular cab. There are not many 8-foot boxes in privately owned trucks these days. With an Escape, which is substantially narrower than most fifth-wheels, there should be no need for that much space.
I know of at least one 8' bed on a 1/2 ton pickup, has an extended cab, don't know about Dodges. There is 5' between the truck cab and the front of the Escape. Had the truck before they came out with the 5.0TA or I would have bought the mid length I suggested.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Monday we test drove two 2015 Ram 1500 pickups (diesel and Hemi). Rather I drove and Dirk tested out the a/c controls! He figures I'm the one that is the most picky of the two and whatever works for me will work for him. So, I get to do the driving. Works for me!

Anyway, I know if the bed isn't long enough you can't do a 90 degree angle (not that you really want to, I guess, but you never know what will happen). You can get either a 6'4" or 5'7" bed (depending on the cab size). Will either be okay for a 90 degree angle? The salesman didn't know, since he's not familiar with the 5.0TA. But I figure someone on this forum will know.

Thanks!

hanks!

BTW, very nice ride! I test drove a Tundra last month and will also test drive a Ford and Chevy. Will the Nissan Titan work as well? If so, gotta test one of those out. Great fun test driving these rigs!
You can get the 6.4 bed with the Crew cab, if you prefer the larger cab. There aren't many of them out there, but they are available. I have the quad with the 6.4 and can easily make a 90 degree turn, but have never had the need to.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I know of at least one 8' bed on a 1/2 ton pickup, has an extended cab, don't know about Dodges.
Good catch, Bob. I now realize that the unavailable combination is 8 foot bed with crew cab - the 8 foot with extended cab is available from Ford, GM and Toyota (just not Ram or Nissan).