Questions about 17'B and 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19-Ft
Questions about 17'B and 19'

I am researching to buy a new Escape 17' Plan B or an Escape 19'. I've been RVing for about 10 years (after years of tent camping), and like to dry-camp in national parks, etc.

I have lots of questions about these Escape campers and appreciate any input on all or some of them...

TOW VEHICLE

I estimate my loaded weight (stock + options + gear & supplies) on the 17' Plan B would be no more than 3400lbs. My loaded weight on the 19' would be no more than 4000lbs.

I have not yet bought the tow vehicle, but will most likely end up with a mid-size V6 3.xL AWD SUV (2013-2015) with a factory installed tow package: 5000 TWR / 500 tongue weight rating. This vehicle will be my daily driver also, so I don't want a truck or a V8 (gas $$$). I seem to be gravitating to the Ford Explorer, but am also considering Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Sante Fe, and Nissan Pathfinder.

Thoughts?

TONGUE WEIGHT AND THE STORAGE BOX

I am curious to hear from some what your camper gross weight is and what is your tongue weight?

I want to keep the *loaded* camper tongue weight to under 450lbs. I am familiar with payload concepts, the correct way to load the camper and vehicle, etc. Although the STORAGE BOX seems to be a no-brainer, I am concerned about the affect on tongue weight. Presumably, the box alone weighs 50+ lbs and then I guess the cargo in the box typically weighs maybe another 50 lbs. So this adds 100+ lbs to the front of the trailer. My question is: does the storage box with cargo pose a significant challenge for managing tongue weight?

OPTIONS

For the 17' Plan B, I am considering the following options
: is there anything you consider important that is not on this list? Is there anything you consider not necessary that is on this list?
  • E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch
  • High Lift Axle
  • Removable Power Cord
  • Dual 6V 225 Amp-hrs
  • LED Reading Lights
  • Microwave
  • 4 cu ft with external fridge fan
  • Foot pedal commode
  • AC with digital thermostat (I probably won't use much, but good for resale)
  • Optional Rear Pass access hatch
  • Cable TV-Ready
  • TV antenna
  • Extra Insulation with opening windows
  • Winterizing T-Valve
  • Opening Bathroom Window
  • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose
  • Additional Counter Extension (by wardrobe at door)
  • Storage box (maybe)

For the 19', I am considering the following options: is there anything you consider important that is not on this list? Is there anything you consider not necessary that is on this list?
  • E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch
  • High Lift Axle
  • Removable Power Cord
  • Dual 6V 225 Amp-hrs
  • LED Reading Lights
  • 3 Burner/LP stainless steel (to match std sink)
  • Microwave
  • 4 cu ft with external fridge fan
  • Foot pedal commode
  • AC with digital thermostat (I probably won't use much, but good for resale)
  • Cable TV-Ready
  • TV antenna
  • Extra Insulation with opening windows
  • Winterizing T-Valve
  • Opening Bathroom Window
  • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose
  • Cabinet door at end of bench
  • Storage box (maybe)

RANDOM QUESTIONS

The Escape 19' would cost about $4,500 US more than the 17', and would bring me closer to max towing specs (although I would still be within). Is it worth it?

Why did you choose the Escape over Casita or other fiberglass manufacturer?

Why do some buyers delete the range hood?

Why do some buyers have the bathroom wall reinforced?

For the 17' Plan B, what are the dimensions of the shower basin area in front of the commode? How about the 19'?

I am 5'1" tall (short) - would I need a step stool to use the microwave?

-----------------------------------------

Thank you so much for any info/wisdom you can share with me!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 2 Escape 19's as well as an Escape 21, you will find the front box quite utilitarian, the batteries are located in the front box on a 19, out of the weather and somewhat protected. You will be carrying blocks and other small items all of which will fit in the box. The under bed storage will be used for chairs, mats as well as large indoor items. With tandem axles you will have at least 400 lbs and possible more depending on what you stow under the front dinette. you can always mitigate some tongue weight with your fresh water tank in the rear. Oh, btw, welcome to our Escape world. Contact ETI for a list of owners near you to display.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The range hood can be obtrusive and with the o/h MaxxFan, redundant. With the awning windows you will have a source of fresh air in the rain and the fan MaxxFan operating. Reinforcing a wall helps if you want to hang something heavy. The reason for Escape over another f.g or even Airstream is customization, you want something moved or added, they will do that.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
"The Escape 19' would cost about $4,500 US more than the 17', and would bring me closer to max towing specs (although I would still be within). Is it worth it?"

Having had both trailer models, if the money is not an issue, I would personally say more than worth it. The 17 is a nice trailer and I enjoyed it, so don't jump me 17 folks, but the advantages going with the 19 are many. Since the tow you buy would be sufficient, the only other issue might be the size difference, but I haven't found anywhere I went with the 17 that I can't go with the 19.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Having had both trailer models, if the money is not an issue, I would personally say more than worth it. The 17 is a nice trailer and I enjoyed it, so don't jump me 17 folks, but the advantages going with the 19 are many. Since the tow you buy would be sufficient, the only other issue might be the size difference, but I haven't found anywhere I went with the 17 that I can't go with the 19.
Thanks Greg... could you give me some examples of the advantages of the 19' over the 17'B? I can think of a few but I'm curious as to what you think, having owned both.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The permanent queen size bed was a plus to me. Escape over Casita or others - the passion of Escape owners was a huge motivator. The company continues to have “raving fans” vs satisfied customers. Although I’ve gone from traveling as a couple to a single, I wouldn’t consider moving from the 19 to a 17. I eliminated the range hood as I didn’t feel it was needed and haven’t regretted that decision. I don’t have the storage box and don’t miss having it.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
Thanks Greg... could you give me some examples of the advantages of the 19' over the 17'B? I can think of a few but I'm curious as to what you think, having owned both.
Just a quick list and will probably miss quite a bit, if you search there are multiple in-depth threads in the past on the differences as well.
Full Queen Bed
Interior Room
Bath much larger can shower standing up
Front Dinette much larger-We have the U configuration lounge
Large 6 cu ft refrig option
Dual Axle
Dual 6v Batteries on tongue
More counter space
More storage space so you can bring more junk

It's a start anyway. Also, depends on your use. The 17 was too tight for my wife and I to go FT/PT soon, 19 is perfect for us and wanted to stay smaller.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The larger refrig makes your center aisle (between fridge side and kitchen counter side) narrower in a 17 b . I don't have the exact dimensions.

I've read of people eliminating the bathroom sink for more navigation room.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
For my wife and I it is the 19 as it is all about the wide bed. Bigfoot manufacturing is even closer to us but all the models (even larger trailers) have narrow beds. Made it real simple for us.
Good luck and Welcome...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
we initially wanted the 17B and end up with the 19. Not really owning a 17B I can only tell you we are glad to get 19 over the 17 because of two things - real bed on 19 and the 17B is not as tall inside (for a 6' person) especially if you have AC..

That said the thing we wish we have for the 19 but didn't get is the opening window on kitchen wall. But this is not the end of the world, next time we are near ETI we will get it retro-fitted.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i owned a 17 B but i sold it i wanted a full size table and a bed i ended up going all the way up to a 5.0 but i also really like the 19. I like having the range hood for cooking inside the trailer I also like having the small sink in the bathroom ( I do not like the idea of leaving bathroom and washing hands in my kitchen sink while I'm cooking) I would not delete either but others are happy without them. i loved having the storage box front of trailer i really didn't store very heavy stuff in it but it was dirty stuff i did not want in my trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went from a 17B to a 21. I really appreciate the larger bathroom, having an oven & built in microwave, but sometimes miss the smaller house...
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
5'1"

Candy is nearly a foot shorter than me at 5'2". The microwave isn't a problem, but she now carries a folding step stool to get to the upper cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
20 kitchen.jpg  
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
17B or 19

I had a 17B and moved up to a 19. Main reason was the permanent bed. We disliked making the bed into table in the morning and vice versa in the evening. Also the 19 has a more spacious feeling when you are inside. And it's easier to back up.

As far as I'm concerned front storage box is a must for me. And you will need a WDH (the standard $350 one works for me) and I would highly recommend the power tongue jack. Bigger fridge with separate freezer is great.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
...is there anything you consider important that is not on this list? Is there anything you consider not necessary that is on this list?
This is applicable to both the 17B and 19.
Suggested adds:
  • Surge Protector (really an Electrical Management System) protects the trailer from a power spike or bad power
  • Exterior shower (very convenient)
  • Maxxfan Upgrade with remote (since you are short)
  • Solar if you plan on boondocking for extended periods
  • 2 way hot water heater only if you plan to plug in regularly (saves propane)

Suggested deletions:
  • E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch -this is overkill on a 17 depending on the tow vehicle but some may disagree (can be added later if needed)
  • High Lift Axle - depending on where you plan on going. Many folks that are well-traveled have indicated they have never had a problem with the standard height (can be added later if needed as it is just a kit from Dexter)
Quote:
The Escape 19' would cost about $4,500 US more than the 17', and would bring me closer to max towing specs (although I would still be within). Is it worth it?
Only you can make that decision. I suggest seeing both trailers in person before committing. If you travel solo the 17 may be all you need and be a more manageable setup. Or you may love the great layout and permanent queen bed in the 19.

Quote:
Why did you choose the Escape over Casita or other fiberglass manufacturer?
You had to go there didn't you.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...else-1767.html

This is a long thread...many opinions out there, but it is clear that Escape offerings, customer service and overall value are second-to-none. Many here have gone from Scamps and Casitas and upgraded to an Escape. I'm not aware of anyone who has gone the other way.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Why Escape?
After sales service. There is a person on the forum today that had a cable break in their foot flush toilet. Escape is shipping them out a whole new toilet and not just the cable! That kind of service is hard to find these days.
Broken cable on Thetford foot flush toilet - Escape Trailer Owners Community

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #17

Rubicon327, thank you for those suggestions! I already own a portable EMS by Progressive industries that I can use so no need to pay for a new (albeit permanent) unit. Ford recommends a WDH for the Explorer when towing over 2000lbs, but I may end up with some other vehicle so I am staying flexible with that particular option. I appreciate your feedback, including the link for the Why Escape thread
Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
There are a lot of threads that have gone into this subject. I mention this because most of the posters here are favoring the 19'. For us we absolutely had to have the queen bed so there was no discussion about a 17. However, there are a lot of people who are happy with the 17, don't care about the smaller bed and wouldn't want a bigger trailer. The smaller it is the easier it is to back into a tiny spot. I don't know if the table is smaller on a 17. We didn't realize how important the table would be before we bought our 19, but on our trips, which are generally 2 or 3 months, that table is the central command station area.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I was at a RV show this past weekend in Toronto looked at many tow trailers.I'm more convinced the Escape 19 is the trailer I would buy based on the floor plan, built quality, price and the flexibility for customization. The only tow trailer I like was the AirStream 25ft Flying Cloud. Show discount price $100K CAD
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
as for a tow vehicle for the 19' I'm looking at the 2018 Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder. Both are very similar in size, horse power and torque. The Pathfinder can tow 6K lbs with the tow package, Nissan Canada is also offering a $3000 cash incentive. Honda can tow 5K lbs with the tow package and no cash incentives
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote