Questions about factory installed towing mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Questions about factory installed towing mirrors

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me understand what's going on with the factory installed towing mirrors. I've never used any, so I'm quite clueless about them and the sales people at the dealers aren't much help. Nor can you test drive while towing something.

We've been test driving different trucks (just the Ford F150 left to drive) to figure out what all we like the best. Two of the rigs had factory installed towing mirrors.

For the Ram 1500 they were two mirrors next to each other. It was rather disconcerting to drive like that, but I imagine you'd get used to it. I suspect the outside mirror is what would show the area around the trailer better (than the inside mirror).

On the Chevy Silverado the two mirrors were on top of each other. Looking in the brochure for the Titan it looked like they had the same type of mirrors. (Don't remember about the Tundra.) I was able to use the top mirror just fine, but the bottom mirror faced downwards. Which was great for seeing where the curb was when going around a corner, but I wonder how helpful that will be for towing. I suspect you would manually adjust them so they're not pointing downwards.

If you tow with the type of mirrors where they're on top of each other, is the bottom mirror adjustable enough for you to see the sides of your trailer better than on the top mirror?

If you've towed with both types of these mirrors, which type do you prefer?

My basic assumption about towing mirrors is that they help you see the sides of your trailer better than with regular mirrors, as well as traffic along the side of your trailer. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks much folks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My Ram 1500 mirror is one, check different models.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On the F150, at least the 2012, you have an upper mirror that you use just like the one in your cars. The lower on is convex, gives you a wide angle view. I adjust the whole mirror assembly out till I can just see the sides of the trailer in the upper mirror, I then adjust the convex so I can see in the blind spots. Tilting up and down is your preference, I tend to lower the upper enough when backing up so I can see if the tires are going to hit anything.

On my old GMC, I had an inner and outer. The outer was convex.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
On the Ram 1500, the tow mirrors rotate up so the flat mirror is at the top and the convex is below. Both are adjustable. When the mirrors are in the towing postion, they are about 4-5 inches wider, so it is much easier to see traffic behind the trailer.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
When the mirrors are in the towing postion, they are about 4-5 inches wider, so it is much easier to see traffic behind the trailer.
Ah, so the mirrors will extend out. Thanks for mentioning that. I was kind of aware of that, but hadn't thought about it or noticed it when looking at the trucks. Will look for that next time I see towing mirrors already installed.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 Lance 845
My f250 mirrors are above and below but also pulls away from the cab for towing. I adjust them like Padlin using the bigger upper to see the majority of traffic then the lower convex show what is basically right beside you. Next one you test drive try to park next to a car like your going down the road with the car about half way back on your right; pull the mirrors out, adjust the mirrors with the big one out a little more that normal and the smaller one showing the car. Slowly pull back and forth, You'll notice that the car will disappear from one and reappear in the other seamlessly, if not readjust the mirrors. I drive a big rig and that's how we see everything.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote