Questions about the 5.0 vs 19 ft (which to choose??) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

Re: Questions about the 5.0 vs 19 ft (which to choose??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac
Just a thought here. i have have a pick up with a canopy and have tried it without as well and found that it is very handy having the dry out of the weather area in the truck box, that is why we ordered a 19 ft. So with the 5.0 you loose the storage of the box of your truck .
Actually, we pack Rubbermaid containers all around the actual hitch area in the back of our Ranger. I fit about 5 of the large tubs back there.

Dave

Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Garand is on the same mental track as me, that you can put anything into the bed of the pickup as long as it is below getting hit by the body of the 5.0 swinging around. Have you laid bicycles in there, with the wheels removed if necessary? Another idea I am having, is that if the tug had a club cab or 4-door crew cab, you could put all kindsa stuff in there to make up for the loss of the camper shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac
Just a thought here. i have have a pick up with a canopy and have tried it without as well and found that it is very handy having the dry out of the weather area in the truck box, that is why we ordered a 19 ft. So with the 5.0 you loose the storage of the box of your truck .
Actually, we pack Rubbermaid containers all around the actual hitch area in the back of our Ranger. I fit about 5 of the large tubs back there.

Dave
[/quote]

Walter Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

If I stop for the night in a rest area or Walmart or go in a restaurant while enroute, I'd rather have my items under cover and out of sight inside my canopy rather than outside in the truck bed. Too bad they do not make a bed cover for fifth wheels
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #14

Wouldn't "inside a rubbermaid tub" qualify as out of sight? If that were not enough, couldn't one devise a large tent-like cover that goes over everything from cab of truck to front of 5.0? How about rubbermaid-like tubs with locking capability? Granted, these measures only work for honest thieves.
Walter Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

the idea of packing tote boxs in the bed of the truck is a great idea and certainly would work well, i just have pretty much always had a suv and this is my first pick up truck so i guess being the creature of habbit that i am i just feel more comfortable with a tag trailer and a canopy shell on the box of the truck. just my two cents, Dave
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Anything left loose in an uncovered bed of a pickup is easy pickings for a thief. If towing a 5th, I would not keep anything valuable in the bed of the truck. I imagine you could fit a lockable tool box in there though, could you not?

I have resorted to putting a topper on all of the pickups I have owned, and I have always owned own for the past 30 years. Even the locks they put on most but the steel toppers are quite easy to break into. Not that an SUV can't be broken into, it is just that it is way tougher.

An SUV is a relatively new thing for me, having never owned a mini-van either, but the large amount of space inside has become quite welcome for many things.

You can't beat a full-sized pickup for carrying loads though, but a full-sized pickup will not work with the current version of the 5.0. There are plenty of good mid-sized pickups, that though not the full capacity of their bigger brothers, will still do a decent amount of work.

Once I retire, and give up my F250, not certain what I will do for a vehicle, and whether I will do okay without a pickup around to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: All...My next project is going to be getting a lockable black tool box for the truck bed. I want to custom fit it into the rails provided by Nissan so it can be bolted to the floor without drilling more holes. For now we use the largest tote/ with wheels, that holds our BBQ, camp mat, hoses etc. Once hooked up and the tailgate locked, the tote can't be accessed for anything as the trailer is to close to the truck box. That keeps unwanted fingers out and all I need is the key to drop the tailgate...then slide the tote out!!! So far I haven't been in a big hurry to spend the $$$'s for the tool box. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

The toolbox sounds like a good idea Alf, and kinda answers a question on the other thread. I know lots of welding shops will fabricate an diamond plate aluminum box to any size required, though it is not all that cheap, but if it does the job effectively is likely worth it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

Nissan seems to offer a purpose-built locking, sliding toolbox for the Frontier; compatible with the rail system in the bed. As we are probably going to be getting a new truck this year, it is one of the options we are considering.