Questions about the 5.0 vs 19 ft (which to choose??) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Questions about the 5.0 vs 19 ft (which to choose??)

Hello Escapees. In the market, comparing trailers, have rejected Airstream and other heavies, and decided Escape is the best of the fiberglassers. Retirement is coming and the two of us are thinking of renting out the house and hitting the road! Please pardon my newbie lack of knowledge.

Questions:

1. Is the 5.0 smaller, equal to, or larger than the 19' in terms of measurable interior space? From looking at pictures, I guessed that the 5.0 is built off a 17' but with the added extension up high. The interior of the 5.0 appears significantly narrower. You can really see the narrowness down in the foot/floor area of the dinette, or is it an optical illusion? I assume the propane tanks are up front under the stairs that lead up to the bedroom, eating up space that would have been used by the 19' dinette.

2. Is it true that the 5th wheel hitch is more stable and better for weight distribution, especially when using a small pickup? I have a '99 Tacoma with V6, 5sp manual trans, 4WD, and while it adds up to be OK, the weight situation fully loaded would be nearing the limit.

3. What is the advantage of getting the 5.0? I looove the queen bed permanently installed up there like a nest! I am sold on the 5th wheel concept, although it may not be necessary. Can you give me more reasons? How about making the argument that the 19' is better for some people?

4. Any Escapes available in Sacaramento/Reno area for viewing?
Thanks, Walter of Nevada City, CA
Walter Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Questions about the 5.0 vs 19 ft (which to choose??)

Hi: Walter Webb...I know I'm biased so here goes. All of the 19.5' in the 5.0 is useable space. Hooking up a 5th. is much easier for me as no bend and stretch exercise required. This is important as I near retirement.
Yes the 19'er is about 4" wider right down the middle but the tongue of the trailer also figures into the length too!!!
The fore n aft sleep in the 5.0 loft is by far better for us. This played out just last night as I had to rocket out of bed to close the dinette window during a sudden thunder storm. No need to climb over my wife on my nightly juggernaught to the "Loo" either.
Tammy has answered mpg's for both trailers with a better rating for the 5.0 than the 19'er going to the same rally with the same truck, and same passengers.
Sure more space would be nice at times but for my money I'm still in the 5.0 camp. Still lovin' our '07 5.0 Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Home St. Pk. and 18 hole GC..jpg   new rims& tires.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Hi Walter-

We live in Pollock Pines, and we've shown our 19 a number of times. Drop a line if you want to see ours. I don't know of any 5.0s around here, tho. I tow with an 06 Tacoma. I leave a shell on it full time, so a trailer made more sense for us. We tend to travel with a fair amount of stuff in the pickup bed, also. The Escape site should have a way for you to find a 5.0 to see. I think both units are around 7' wide, and both have permanent queen beds. I think for you it'll come down to what all you want to put in your pickup's bed.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I don't own either, but certainly have an opinion

There are pluses and minues to both, it's about the layout that works best for you. The biggy for me, is the dinette is in the back in the 5.0 (although Reace has built a rear dinette 19 footer). I want to eat my inside meals looking out at woods, beach, rivers, lakes... something other than the back of my tug which is the typical layout for the 19 footers. If you have a 19 foot custom built with a rear dinette, then you have to plan on making up the bed every night... not so with the 5.0. To ME, it's the best of both worlds.

Good luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

I don't own either (as well).. But if I was to re-do it again.. the 5.0 would be my choice. I think there's a lot of wasted space in the hitch area. There's at least 3 feet between the front of the 19ft & the hitch ball receiver. In the 5.0 that are is half the bed area.. If you get my logic..so the total length of tow vehicle and trailer is probably shorter on the 5.0/truck combination vs 19ft/truck. And as stated easier to hitch up the 5.0..

Anyway I think both are just great choices and you can't go wrong with either one.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Just a thought here. i have have a pick up with a canopy and have tried it without as well and found that it is very handy having the dry out of the weather area in the truck box, that is why we ordered a 19 ft. So with the 5.0 you loose the storage of the box of your truck .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

There was an excellent discussion on the same topic a year ago: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1642.0 where I wrote that I bought the 19' because we always have our kayaks or a canoe on top of the tow vehicle which we couldn't do with the 5.0. Since staying at places where we can get out on the water is one of the main reasons that we go camping, it was an easy choice for us. If we didn't want to take the boats, I definitely would have bought the 5.0. In my opinion, 5th wheels are easier and safer to tow. I also I think that the 5.0 is a lot better looking than the 19. It is only 4" narrower but it looks a lot sleeker and has better lines than the 19 which is a bit boxy in appearance.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

One reason I decided on the 19' was the dual axles. The 5th wheel as well as the other Escapes are single axle. I like the safety factor of having four wheels and tires on the road vs two. Tolls are higher but you learn to drive the interesting non toll roads.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Both are great vehicles, and each has its own individual merits.Some of my thoughts are:

The 5.0 bed access is better, though climbing over your partner really is not that big of a deal. The bed in the 19 is a full queen. The 5.0 is best here though.

The rear dinette can be better for some places, backing onto a lake for instance. I do not sit at the dinette very much though, usually in the early morning while still dark and the wife is still sleeping. I still would give the edge to the 5.0.

Hooking up. I have never hooked up to a 5.0, but have to plenty of other 5th wheels. There is a slight advantage here, but when it takes less than two minutes to hook to the 19, the point is moot.

Towing wise, the 5.0 has the advantage with its weight better displaced, though I tow the 19 without a WDH, and it tows real nice.

Axles, for me the 19 wins hands down here. I really like the ride the dual axles provides. I have pulled lots of single axle trailers, and the duals tow real nice.

Width, again a hands down win for the 19. It is just perfect in width at 7', which is 4" wider than the 5.0. If you went with a smaller fridge in the 5.0, then the hall would be wider, but for me it seems way too narrow with the 5cf fridge.

If you want or need, you can get an additional tongue storage box for the 19, to carry more stuff. With our SUV and all the storage the 19 has already, we find no need for the storage box ourselves. Maybe when we retire and go for multi-month trips.

With tow vehicles and combined cargo capacity is where the 19 wins out, in a BIG way for me. I can use my SUV and don't have to buy a pickup. An SUV is a much better vehicle for my lifestyle than a pickup, both with towing and carrying gear, and for a general use vehicle without a trailer behind. I have a F250 if I really need a truck for something. With an SUV you can carry more stuff in the vehicle, and keep it safely locked away. I like to carry my 17.5' canoe on longer trips, and would have to devise a way to carry it on the trailer with a 5.0, as you can't carry it on the tow vehicle.

When Reace comes out with the wider 5th wheel with dual axles, and maybe just a tad longer I will once again be reviewing my comparisons. Once I retire, I will likely give up my big pickup, and be willing to buy a smaller one, as I might be able to justify it more for use other than just a tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
JC

Trailer: 2011 5.0

Everybody's comments have validity, some of us just disagree. I prefer the single axle of the 5.0. Lighter weight, less maintenance, no tire scrubbing, etc. I'm not worried about the safety difference between single and double. There are a ton of single axle trailers on the road and that is pretty much all I have hauled, with no issues. Tammy verified that the 5.0 has more volume inside. Your truck will handle the 5.0 more easily than the 19 (single axle, weight & distribution, etc.). It is a drawback if you like to haul a lot of extra stuff, as some do. It also makes a more compact rig that's easier to get around in tighter spaces, particularly if you have the bed length to go 90 degrees as I can with my Colorado.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac
Just a thought here. i have have a pick up with a canopy and have tried it without as well and found that it is very handy having the dry out of the weather area in the truck box, that is why we ordered a 19 ft. So with the 5.0 you loose the storage of the box of your truck .
Actually, we pack Rubbermaid containers all around the actual hitch area in the back of our Ranger. I fit about 5 of the large tubs back there.

Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Garand is on the same mental track as me, that you can put anything into the bed of the pickup as long as it is below getting hit by the body of the 5.0 swinging around. Have you laid bicycles in there, with the wheels removed if necessary? Another idea I am having, is that if the tug had a club cab or 4-door crew cab, you could put all kindsa stuff in there to make up for the loss of the camper shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac
Actually, we pack Rubbermaid containers all around the actual hitch area in the back of our Ranger. I fit about 5 of the large tubs back there.

Dave
[/quote]
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

If I stop for the night in a rest area or Walmart or go in a restaurant while enroute, I'd rather have my items under cover and out of sight inside my canopy rather than outside in the truck bed. Too bad they do not make a bed cover for fifth wheels
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

Wouldn't "inside a rubbermaid tub" qualify as out of sight? If that were not enough, couldn't one devise a large tent-like cover that goes over everything from cab of truck to front of 5.0? How about rubbermaid-like tubs with locking capability? Granted, these measures only work for honest thieves.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

the idea of packing tote boxs in the bed of the truck is a great idea and certainly would work well, i just have pretty much always had a suv and this is my first pick up truck so i guess being the creature of habbit that i am i just feel more comfortable with a tag trailer and a canopy shell on the box of the truck. just my two cents, Dave
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #16

Anything left loose in an uncovered bed of a pickup is easy pickings for a thief. If towing a 5th, I would not keep anything valuable in the bed of the truck. I imagine you could fit a lockable tool box in there though, could you not?

I have resorted to putting a topper on all of the pickups I have owned, and I have always owned own for the past 30 years. Even the locks they put on most but the steel toppers are quite easy to break into. Not that an SUV can't be broken into, it is just that it is way tougher.

An SUV is a relatively new thing for me, having never owned a mini-van either, but the large amount of space inside has become quite welcome for many things.

You can't beat a full-sized pickup for carrying loads though, but a full-sized pickup will not work with the current version of the 5.0. There are plenty of good mid-sized pickups, that though not the full capacity of their bigger brothers, will still do a decent amount of work.

Once I retire, and give up my F250, not certain what I will do for a vehicle, and whether I will do okay without a pickup around to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...My next project is going to be getting a lockable black tool box for the truck bed. I want to custom fit it into the rails provided by Nissan so it can be bolted to the floor without drilling more holes. For now we use the largest tote/ with wheels, that holds our BBQ, camp mat, hoses etc. Once hooked up and the tailgate locked, the tote can't be accessed for anything as the trailer is to close to the truck box. That keeps unwanted fingers out and all I need is the key to drop the tailgate...then slide the tote out!!! So far I haven't been in a big hurry to spend the $$$'s for the tool box. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #18

The toolbox sounds like a good idea Alf, and kinda answers a question on the other thread. I know lots of welding shops will fabricate an diamond plate aluminum box to any size required, though it is not all that cheap, but if it does the job effectively is likely worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

Nissan seems to offer a purpose-built locking, sliding toolbox for the Frontier; compatible with the rail system in the bed. As we are probably going to be getting a new truck this year, it is one of the options we are considering.