RAV mileage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
RAV mileage

Just back from Kane Lakes Valley near Merritt. If you are familiar with BC then you know that means crossing mountains. We took the Coquihalla Highway, which has a steep 17 kilometer climb. We had the trailer, loaded for fishing. Lots of beer, water tank 2/3 full and two pontoon boats stacked on the roof of the RAV.
I kept good records.

From North Van to Bridal Falls is basically a flat freeway. Kept speed between 90 and 100 K. We used 12.91 liters / 100 kilometers ( or 18.33 mpg US; 21.89 mpg Imp. ).

From Bridal Falls we climbed the Coquihalla into the Kane Valley. Same speeds, but dropped to 80 from time to time on the steepest climb. I would kick it down into 3rd until I was back at 90. On this section I used 17.74 liters / 100 k ( 13.33 mpg US; 15.92 mpg Imp. )

From Kane Lakes to home we used 15.46 liters / 100 k ( 15.3 mpg US; 18. 28 mpg Imp.)

Overall for the return trip we got 15.62 liters / 100 k (15.15 mpg US; 18.09 mpg. Imp. )

The entire trip was 591.5 kilometers and the section to Bridal Falls is only 123 kilometers, which is where we got our best mileage.

This is the rig at the Coquihalla summit. I'll post all the pix under Show your Escape.

baglo

Attached Thumbnails
COQU SUMMIT WEB.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #2

Re: RAV mileage

This is good to know. We are buying a RAV4 tomorrow (Toyota Credit willing).

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Nice picture.

We'll be doing the mileage with our dual Escapes next week going to Osoyoos or Oroville. (if I get rid of this stupid cold!!!)

I know around town we only get 23 MPG Haven't done much on the freeway...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
This is good to know. We are buying a RAV4 tomorrow (Toyota Credit willing).
I wish I had ordered the back-up camera. Because the spare tire sticks out beyond the bumper, your whole rear door is at risk. I've taken to keeping a hitch installed. My daughter hates parallel parking it and I'm not that confident myself. I don't drive it often ( have a company car ) so I have no clue where my rear end is.

The Old Bag says we should have got leather seats, because of the dog and the way hairs stick in the cloth seats. But the leather seats are heated and cost $1,000 extra. So, I choose to keep the rest of the vehicle messy so it all matches.

baglo
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #5

We can barely afford the base V6 4WD. The wife, whose arthritis makes turning keys a challenge, would like the Limited version with keyless entry and ignition. And leather heated seats would be nice with our dogs and all. But the base model is still very nice. The back-up camera - worth considering. I wonder if it would aid in hitching. But not listed as an option for the base model.

2009 17' Plan B
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
.....I have no clue where my rear end is.
Sorry to hear Glenn. If you drink a dozen beer every day it should show back up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I have the backup camera on my Pilot. It does help with alignment, but it is not too easy to tell distance, like whether the hitch is right over the ball or not.

I am quite used to hitching up a trailer on my own without the camera though, it is quite easy once you get used to it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #8

I would like the back-up camera for parking. I use my mirror set-up for hitching up. It really works. But, you still have to get out of the driver's seat to check the hitch hight and to be right on the mark. I had the trailer on the post, without the wheel, so there was no margin, but I was able to hitch up quite easily. If you search FGRV for Baglo's backup mirror or some such, there are pix. I'm no longer a member so I can't. I'll post them if I can find them.

baglo
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #9

Here are pix of my backup mirror unit. I can back up, right onto the hitch. But, I can't tell if the hitch is high enough so I have to get out and check.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
mirror 1.jpg   mirror 2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #10

Trailer: '07 17B

That sounds like decent mileage for the mountains. Say, is that yellow pontoon an outcast? I've got one just like it. They are sure nice!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #11

Both boats are Buck's Bags Southfork.

baglo
Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #12

Everybody must be out camping. Nobody has posted in a few days.

On Sunday we got our RAV4 - in Pacific Blue. I do wish that Toyota would make some bright colours. This blue is pretty fast, but I am sure that a more vibrant shade would add another 3 km/h to the top speed. The one colour that I really like is a dark, dark metallic green called Black Forest, available on every version of the 2009 RAV4 except our 4WD V6 base model.

I am well-pleased with the vehicle so far. Plenty of power empty, that's for sure. I have read complaints about road noise, cupholders and the stereo, but they are all fine. The seat does lack lumbar support though. I think I will get an Obus back rest.

I want to put 1600 km on the RAV4 before we get the trailer in eight weeks. Also, the manual mentions using thicker oil if the vehicle is to be heavily loaded, so I might have it changed.

Glenn, where in the manual does it recommend against weight-distributing hitches?

2009 17' Plan B
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #13

PS.

Mine is Black Forest.

baglo
Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #14

I don't know where the first post went before I added the PS.

So, I repeat. The reference to equalizer is on page 350 of the manual for the 2008 RAV. They may have revised the manual or changed the recommendation in 2009.
Right under that, they advise you to remove the hitch when not towing and to seal the area to prevent exhaust fumes and mud from entering. They must be kidding!

I don't see the reference to using heavier oil when towing. Where did you find that?

Anyway, back to equalizer, I have never found any explanation for Toyota's recommendation that you not use an equalizer hitch. The guy at Hidden Hitch said it was like the manual for a Jeep advising you not to drive off-road. Just trying to cover their ass.

baglo
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #15

I find two references for recommended oil in the 2009 manual.

Section 4.3 Do-it-yourself maintenance, p357 recommends 5W-30 and says, "If SAE 5W-30 oil is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change."

Section 6.1 Specifications, p 471, it says, "An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

The first number in an oil designation (the W number) refers to cold weather viscosity. A low number means low viscosity so the engine will start easier and oil will be able to flow where it is needed when the weather is cold. The second refers to operating temperature viscosity. I guess that they are recommending 5W-30 over 10W-30 for winter starting. The language in both sections implies that low viscosity oil will improve fuel economy, and that seems to drive their recommendation for 30.

As far as I can tell, commonly available oils are:
  • 0W-20 (never heard of it, but 4-cyl RAV4s are supposed to use it)
    5W-20
    5W-30
    5W-40
    10W-30
    10W-40
    20W-50

I would say that for towing a 17-foot egg over the passes we have around here, 5W-40 might be the optimum choice. It might be a little harder to find, but Quaker State 5W-40 does show on Canadian Tire's website. I figure that I'll change the oil twice a year, using 5W-30 in winter and 5W-40 in summer.

I wonder about synthetic oil.

About hitches, Section 2.5, Driving information, p. 213 makes the recommendation about removing the hitch and sealing the holes, but I don't see any mention of weight distributing hitches.

Removing the hitch when not in use will definitely save fuel. One could argue that it would improve the look of the vehicle. Not that the back end of a RAV4 is very pretty to start with. At least this year all models get that nice spare-tire cover.

2009 17' Plan B
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #16

When I'm not towing, I replace the equalizer with a regular ball hitch to protect the spare and thus the rear hatch from low speed parking impact. I have seen a "bumper" about two feet long that fits in the hitch receiver, but I'm too cheap to spend the $89 plus tax.

baglo
Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Hi Ron

I think you ill find most people with Toyotas use 5W 30 year round.
This is what I have used for years, -40 to +40, and towing the
Escape 19 up the Coquihalla Highway from Hope to Kamloops
no problems.

Synthetics are good once you have broken in your engine.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

Here are pix of my backup mirror unit. I can back up, right onto the hitch. But, I can't tell if the hitch is high enough so I have to get out and check.

baglo
Glen, that's a nice sized mirror. I've been looking everywhere for on that will screw down like that. It will be great to attach to the tongue of HokieEscape to line her up to the hitch. The 5.0 isn't anywhere as sensitive to line up, but this would be helpful none the less. Any idea where to find one like that?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #19

I got it at Canadian Tire, but you might try any auto-parts store in your area.

baglo
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Just got back today fro mour trip to the Okanagan.
Did the mileage from Port Coquitlam to Princeton and with the air conditioning on almost all the time (Friday was a HOT one) and it was 20.75 MPG (Imperial gal)---freeway to Hope, then highway 3 with lots of up and down areas..

Today we did the mileage from Oroville WA to Chilliwack (both Doug and I driving) and a lot of times with the air conditioning and the mileage dropped to 19.65.... (must have been my heavy foot!!!)

All in all I find that pretty good. One fine day I will do the mileage on a road trip with out the trailer...
With our Boler and the Chevy Malibu I think we used to average around 24MPG so a bigger trailer and bigger vehicle, no complaints here...