RAV4 mileage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
RAV4 mileage

Just returned from SW Alberta to Vancouver towing my 17B Escape. Traveled 2,396.3 kilometers and used 360.419 liters of fuel. Traveled over Coast, Pursells, Monashee and Rocky Mountains. If we weren't going up we were going down.

Mileage overall was 15.04 L per 100 K
15.64 MPG ( US )
18.78 MPG ( IMP )

I could have eased off on the gas going up the hills and next time I'm leaving the bocce balls, the cast iron skillets and the canoe behind. ( Didn't use the bocce or the canoe ).

baglo

Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: RAV4 mileage

On our last trip we had both a canoe and 2 bikes on the top racks of the Tacoma. They took at least 2 mpg (US) off our "normal" 17B towing mpg of 16 - 17. I have a really good hitch mounted rack and had the bike hitch installed on our 17B when we bought it. But I just don't like having the bikes back where I cannot see them at all. It would probably help our mileage though.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #3

Hey:

Just joined this forum as the wife and I are contemplating the 15a. We have a rav4 v6 sport with 3500 lb hidden hitch and 4 pin wiring.

Questions:

How do you like the combination you have for travelling? Do you find the rav4 strong enough, steady enough and sturdy enough? Do you have an equalizer hitch? Electric brake controller?

Anxiously awaiting any info you have.

Thanks

Al
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

I have RAV4 V6 and Escape 17B. I have the equalizer hitch and wouldn't be without it. I've towed the trailer a couple kilometers to the RV shop without it and really notice the bounce, affecting ride and stability. Trailer has electric brakes so you need a brake controller. I followed common wisdom on forums and got the Prodigy. Does the job. You'll need to get the wiring upgraded to 7 pin and if your hitch is a factory hitch, it's only class II and it won't accept the equalizer and just isn't good enough for the job. You need a class III. Sounds like you might have an after-market hitch - Hidden Hitch - which might be class III.

The V6 has 269 HP which means you can get the tow and trailer up to highway speed on the shortest of ramps. Knowing that relieves a lot of stress when it comes to towing.

I think the 15 Escape and RAV V6 would be a great combination. Decent fuel economy when you're not towing and more than enough to do the job when you are towing.

I'm certainly happy with my combo.

baglo
Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

My hidden hitch is class III. Does this mean I'll need to change the hitch in order to have the equalizer hitch or is this just an add-on device to the existing class III. The 7-pin harness. Is this for the electrical in the trailer, battery charging and electric brakes? My RAV did not come with any factory trailer wiring or extra cooling or alternator. Did yours come with the upgrades and if not, have you had any overheating or charging issues?

Thanks again

Al
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

You will need to run both a charge line (at least #10 wire) and a brake wire (as well as adding a brake controller). A web page that shows how one person added the controller & wiring to a RAV4 is here. I followed these directions for a successful installation of a 30 amp charge line & a P3 brake controller. The only thing I would add is a switch to shut off the charge line if you have a 3 way refer. That way you can avoid draining the RAV4's battery by shutting it off when stopped for lunch, etc. I couldn't find a 30 amp switch that matched the RAV4 controls so I am waiting to see what the typical charge current is before splicing in the 20 amp switch I already have.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #7

Since you have the class III, you just need the equalizer and wiring upgrade. Equalizer goes into your hitch receiver.
Since you are in Canada, your RAV4 has a transmission cooler as standard. I don't think you'll need anything else.

baglo
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #8

Just got home from 3300 km down the Washington and Oregon coasts and up the interiors. Lots of big hills, and a couple of not-too-challenging passes. 14.4 L/100 km including driving unhitched. The RAV4 and Escape 17B make an excellent combination. I agree with everything Glenn wrote above. Also, the turning circle for the combination is about the same as for the SUV alone.

When the speed gets over 100 km/h (60 mph) I find (a) the combination gets sensitive to wind, (b) the ability to accelerate is diminished and (c) fuel consumption increases more than I like. As a result, I try to keep my speed at or below 100 km/h.

Yep - your 4-pin wiring won't cut it. In addition to the brake controller, you will need mirror extensions. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Oh, sometimes when you want to burn a few more hydrocarbons than necessary, the 6 cylinder RAV4 accelerates wonderfully at the on-ramp.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #9

Thanks all for the added info.

Going to be an interesting adventure for the wiring if I decide to do it myself, otherwise it might be just as easy to have it done.

Al
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #10

Don't ask me for help with the wiring.

I made three trips to Rona today to fix the toilet and I have to make another tomorrow to fix what broke while I was fixing.

Then, I'll probably call a plumber.

Meantime, I have to turn the water off between flushes.

Might just move out to the trailer.

baglo

Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

Craftsman rates:

New problem - $40 per hour

You watch me - $60 per hour

You worked on it - $80 per hour.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #12

gbaglo. Got your message loud and clear. Probably get my upgrades done at the local hitch shop then.
Roger CH -- all 3 of your rates are pretty cheap compared to up here HA HA
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #13

My last plumbing experience in this 60 year old house started with replacing the faucet in the bathroom sink. I found I couldn't access the supply lines without removing the sink. When I removed the sink, I tore the laminate on the counter. After umpteen trips to Rona because the flexible lines wouldn't fit into the established lines, nor would the plastic lines, I installed new copper with compression fittings that weren't entirely happy with my technique so I had to do it several times.

After all that, my buddy Keath came over with his router to help me edge the laminate. And, something got stuck and burned the laminate. So I found some chrome edging and glued that with contact cement.

If you don't touch it, it's fine.

And the stopper on the sink doesn't work.

Other than that....