RAV4 question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
So . . . wanna sell your RAV4? Anyone want to sell your ready-to-go RAV4? Actually, I'm serious. Or half-serious. Guess I can't get out of this that easy!!!
Actually, I probably will be trading mine in for a small truck (thinking about either a Colorado or the new Tacoma) after I get back East in April. I'm leaving on a trip to Alaska in June, plan to stay in the West for the winter. Of course by then the RAV4 will have 130,000 miles on it, with half of it towing.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Buddy just bought a 2015 Highlander with a 2" hitch receiver and couldn't find out what class it was. Dealership didn't seem to know or be able to find out. Didn't know if it was adequate for WDH, but the manual apparently advises a WDH if towing more than 3,500 lbs.

Anyway, he went to U-haul and got a much better deal on a genuine class III hitch receiver for WDH.
so...was Buddy's Highlander fitted out with a 2" Class II hitch or not?
The Dealer didn't know
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
So Jon, do YOU want to sell you RAV4? Just kidding. Kind of.
I do think from all the info provided, I really want to look for a RAV4 with the tow package already installed. Will start my serious search this week.
Thank you all the awesome info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You would have to check the VIN number with Toyota to determine if a V6 RAV4 has the tow package - in the US, it was available with or without the package.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
There are lots of options for vehicles between the size of a Tahoe and a Rav4! I tow with a Sienna (we have 3 dogs that ride in crates in the back) which sure feels smaller than a Tahoe because it's closer to the ground and drives like a car.
You might look at the Ford Flex, for instance, which with a weight distributing hitch can tow 4500lbs.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #25

Thanks rbryan4, WILL look for one with tow package.

Leon, thanks, would never have known for install not to interfere with knees.

gbaglo, thanks again re Pro Serv info.

Jon, wow, lots of mileage. That says a lot for the quality of Toyota!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
so...was Buddy's Highlander fitted out with a 2" Class II hitch or not?
The Dealer didn't know
Haven't talked about the hitch since he booked appointment with U-Haul.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #27

Don't expect great gas mileage when not towing with RAV4 V6.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
FWIW, I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and will be installing it next month when I pick up the trailer. It's something to consider if you don't want to hardwire a controller or modify your dash, and it stays with the trailer. It's not cheap, but I got mine for less than $200 on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P0ZA86/...l_41b0j57qmq_b
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Late to this party but the part of the tow package V couldn't recall is a heavy duty 150A alternator. We are glad we purchased a wd hitch as the Rav4 would really be low in the rear without it. We got the Anderson and are satisfied with it. I can't say if it was worth the extra dollar. I am happy with the RAV4 short wheelbase as it allows more control when backing up the 17b. A longer based TV would, I think, be a little more tricky. We got about 15mpg while towing 5000 miles this winter, and 24 with the vehicle alone.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
There are lots of options for vehicles between the size of a Tahoe and a Rav4! I tow with a Sienna (we have 3 dogs that ride in crates in the back) which sure feels smaller than a Tahoe because it's closer to the ground and drives like a car.
You might look at the Ford Flex, for instance, which with a weight distributing hitch can tow 4500lbs.
We used to tow our 17 with a Sienna Van. I loved that vehicle because I could carry three people and their bicycles, keeping everything out of the weather. It towed the 17 beautifully. But you can't tow a 21 with a Sienna, so we traded for a Highlander. But if I could find a really nice van to tow the 21, I would be strongly tempted to buy it.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We got about 15mpg while towing 5000 miles this winter, and 24 with the vehicle alone.
I got 17 mpg mostly towing, but highways and flat.
Around town, with no trailer, I get 15 mpg, mostly sitting at stop lights.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
For my rav4 V6 with tow pkg, i got a drawtite class 111 receiver from etrailer and installed it myself. Went to Uhaul and had them install the brake controller, harness and all the harness for lights. I tow a 16 scamp, is lighter then an Escape and have not yet had to use a WDH. Everything was under $500. My 2012 has 33000 mi including 2500mi towing. I`m not selling. Good luck on your search, they are nice to drive in town, especially after a 150 crew cab. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Maybe a little clarification of terms is in order, just to improve discussion and understanding:
Here are the terms, and some etrailer links with illustrations (and prices).

Receiver (bolts to the Tow vehicle): http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Toyota_RAV4.htm
Note that the top receiver in the etrailer link indicates that it's rated for weight-distribution hitches).

Ball Mount (slides into the receiver): http://www.etrailer.com/p-C45030.html (you also need a 2" ball).

Brake Controller (on or under your dashboard; generally an automatic device in operation, but controls must be accessible to the driver): http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2011_Toyota_RAV4.htm
I looked for 7 pin wiring kits, but no joy! There are lighting kits (4 pin), but then you need 12V power and also a brake line from the brake controller. This wiring would have to be done by the dealer or a good independent shop (E.G. U-Haul).

The Weight Distribution Hitch or an Anderson hitch are in lieu of the ball mount.
Here's a photo of Dennis (I think) at ETI, installing a WDH.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...cture1230.html
Click "Prev" to see the rest of the hitch on the trailer.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Here's a link to the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control, probably one of the best you can get.

Amazon.com: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control: Automotive

Is the RAV4 a front wheel drive? If so I'd think a WDH hitch should be used so the proper weight would be on the drive wheels.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
As Glen pointed out, all RAV4 V6 in Canada came with the tow package. Ever thought about picking one up in the Vancouver, BC area and taking it home? Looking at Craigslist ads, some list for under C$15k with under 60k miles (remember that odometers here are in km, not miles!). Getting a hitch & wiring can still be done. Maybe ETI can help you with that part.
Tworainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #36

First of all, thank you to everyone who has posted!!! I just got home -- read the new posts -- it's all kind of overwhelming and so I'm going to wait until tomorrow and try to absorb little by little.
I went to look at my first RAV4 this afternoon and fell in love. It's the 6 cyl., Limited, 58,000 miles and they're asking $20,400. I think that's high.
Tworainy, the prices sound good in Canada and would love to do that but would be afraid to make the trip and commitment sight unseen.
So much to figure out -- will start again fresh tomorrow after some sleep!!! Thanks so much!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworainy View Post
Ever thought about picking one up in the Vancouver, BC area and taking it home?
I would check the rules before doing that to see what's involved. Moving motor vehicles less than 15 years old across the border is not trivial, even though the regulations almost match between the two countries.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #38

I'd stick to buying where you live; taking the time to ensure that you are getting a good vehicle, properly equipped, rather that leaping at something that may look like a deal in another country.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Most would agree here that a tow package is advisable for a 17B. Getting that on a new RAV4 in 2012 and prior was one thing. Finding a used one with it is another. My 2013 Highlander SE had tow package as standard equipment. In researching this I believe it started in 2011; check with Toyota to be sure. Not as cute but it performs great as a TV for the 17B. If hitch is factory it is Class III.

While it seems all Canadian RAV4 & Highlanders are both AWD and have tow package, that is not the case in the US. I would advise AWD for increased traction from experience with a 2WD Murano. Lastly, using a WDH is not recommended by Toyota for the RAV4, however I use it even with my Yukon based on advice from the local dealer.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Lastly, using a WDH is not recommended by Toyota for the RAV4, however I use it even with my Yukon based on advice from the local dealer.
I'm still waiting, after six years, for Toyota to explain why they "do not recommend" use of a WDH.
So, I am amused that my buddy bought a 2015 Highlander and in his manual, Toyota recommends a WDH when towing over 3,500 lbs. Both the RAV4 V6 and the Highlander are unibody construction and share a lot of other parts.
I'm due for a service this month and I'll be pestering Toyota yet again for an answer. Been using the WDH for almost seven years and I don't really care what the answer is anymore, but damn it, I want an answer.