RAV4 question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
"I'm really sorry for your inconvenience Mr. Baglo, and I do apologize and understand your frustration"- sound familiar? It seems like every corporate CSR has this talk track embedded, which makes things only worse.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They haven't gotten to that yet. They just keep repeating that "Toyota does not recommend a WDH" rather than tell me why. I've saved the whole string of emails.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #43

"Toyota does not recommend the use of truck-mounted artillery"
Getting technical: Toyota pickups, anti-aircraft weapons and the Libyan Revolution
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 10.27.55 PM.png  
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
ED,

If you want an effective way to search for the RAV4 you need, check out cargurus.com. This search engine will let you search geographically by model, trim level, and most importantly, the tow package option.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, I am amused that my buddy bought a 2015 Highlander and in his manual, Toyota recommends a WDH when towing over 3,500 lbs. Both the RAV4 V6 and the Highlander are unibody construction and share a lot of other parts.
They share engine and other drivetrain components (which have nothing to do with hitch use), but last I checked they shared no structure, nothing of the rear suspension, and probably little if anything of the front suspension. The RAV4 is shorter, so WDH misadjustment is a larger potential issue - maybe that's it.

Quote:
Been using the WDH for almost seven years and I don't really care what the answer is anymore, but damn it, I want an answer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Thanks again to everyone for the great input.
FYI, I did contact Toyota about the two RAV4's I had been interested in. Wanted to let you all know they were very responsive. Below is their reply.

In the meantime, still researching RAV4's, thinking I may go for an older than 2012 (the one I looked at with $20,400 asking price) and am at least comfortable knowing that at least I know which TV I want and it's now only a matter of finding one in good shape and at the right price.

Dear Ms. Darby,

Thank you for replying with the VINs.

We have determined that both 2010 RAV4 3.5L V6 vehicles, 2T3DK4DV4AW025084 and JTMDK4DV7A5087358, are equipped with the following:

*V6 Tow Prep Pkg - 3,500lbs (Includes Upgraded Radiator, Fan Coupling, and Alternator)

Sincerely,

Tiffany H.
Toyota Customer Experience
Contact Us | Contact Toyota
Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
We followed the same path as EDarby a year ago. Ordered the 17B first, then found the vehicle. Bought a 2009 RAV4 V6 Limited, fully loaded (incl. leather), with under 75000km (47500 miles) for a very fair price. Had the tow package already (in Canada), so not much more to do. Just got back from a fun weekend with the family, using our 17B. Still looking for a name!
Just my experience...and I'm happy!
Tworainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ellen, did you ever try looking at Carmax? They have a huge selection and will ship a vehicle to your local Carmax location from out of state or wherever for a nominal fee. Both our son and daughter have bought vehicles from them and have had excellent results. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Thanks yardsale and Loren: I checked out cargurus and carmax this morning -- have inquired about several RAV4's - haven't heard back yet but will certainly post if this path works out.
Tworainy: wow, 47,500 miles on a 2009. Score!!! Inspiring to know they are out there.
I'm feeling better and better about this search. (and very happy I still have a few months!)
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Can the tailgate of the RAV4 be opened when the trailer is attached?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #51

I can only open the tailgate about four inches when I'm hooked up.
Tailgate on the RAV is stupid in any event. If you are parked at the curb, you have to stand on the traffic side to open it, so if you have a shopping cart, it's likely on the other side of the door.
Since new RAVs only have a 4cyl. and 1,500 lb. tow rating, I wouldn't be considering it.
Also, with the tire hanging on the door, sticking out further than the "bumper" I really wish I had a backup camera.
Other than that, great tow vehicle for a 17B.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I can only open the tailgate about four inches when I'm hooked up.
Would a receiver hitch extension solve the problem?
How much would you say you have to pull ahead to be able to open the tailgate?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Tailgate on the RAV is stupid in any event. If you are parked at the curb, you have to stand on the traffic side to open it, so if you have a shopping cart, it's likely on the other side of the door.
The tailgate is side-hinged so that it can carry the spare tire, just like early Honda CR-Vs and many other SUVs. Having the hinges on the right side is "backwards" for North America for the reason above, but my guess is that the vehicle is parked in a parking lot - not at a curb - almost every time a shopping cart is used.

Quote:
Since new RAVs only have a 4cyl. and 1,500 lb. tow rating, I wouldn't be considering it.
On the other hand, the new (4th generation) RAV4 no longer has the tire on the door, so the door is top-hinged (swings up).
Old 08-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #54

I can't count the number of times that I've parked in a mall lot, and "pulled through" so I can drive out forwards. Then somebody parks behind me and wife returns and can't open the rear door. When I said it was stupid, I meant it.
And, a hitch extension is just a bad idea. For one, it would have to be about three feet long to fully open the door and would reduce the tongue weight you could accept.
If I ever have to replace this RAV4, I'll likely get a Highlander.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #55

Quote:
I can't count the number of times that I've parked in a mall lot, and "pulled through" so I can drive out forwards. Then somebody parks behind me and wife returns and can't open the rear door. When I said it was stupid, I meant it.
Yeah, regardless of which side it's hinged on, any vehicle with a spare on a rear carrier or directly on the door will have this problem. Some (e.g. Jeep Wrangler and Liberty) put the spare on the door, but hinge the window up so there is some access to the back without opening the door.

Quote:
And, a hitch extension is just a bad idea. For one, it would have to be about three feet long to fully open the door and would reduce the tongue weight you could accept.
I agree!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 AM   #56

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
If I ever have to replace this RAV4, I'll likely get a Highlander.
Don`t drive through or back in, that is what i do. When i am hooked up i only have about 4" to open as well, can get my arm in there to get things out, i usually go in the back door way and can get to every thing. A lot of newer suv`s have a doughnut for a spare, not something we would want. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #57

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I bought a used highlander and no problem with the tail gait on it . I looked at the RAV and liked it but decided on the Highlander.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Can the tailgate of the RAV4 be opened when the trailer is attached?
About 6".
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
We just got back from a trip with our RAV4 V6. No problems. I forgot to take out my mirrors from the cargo storage area under the rear deck before hooking up the trailer to the SUV, but was still able to get them out without any damage or having to unhook. Was a bit tight.

As for Glenn's comment about a rearview camera, mine has one, though I believe mine is a year newer than his.
Tworainy is offline   Reply With Quote